Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

a summer of mediocre movies?

jazzact13

Activity : 267
    Geek-Cred : 3

a summer of mediocre movies? Empty a summer of mediocre movies?

Post  jazzact13 August 16th 2016, 11:34 pm

So, am I the only who's thought that the 2016 summer movies have been pretty much mediocre?

The last movie I saw at a theater was ID4-2, so it's been about a month and a half since I've been to a theater, and one reason has been that there simply hasn't been much of anything interesting to watch there.

Ghostbusters? Never really got my interest. Suicide Squad? That's been most tempting, but I guess not enough.

At least this year, it seems like the biggest movies came out early. Love it or hate it, few movies can get the hype that Batman vs Superman got, and then a few weeks later there was Captain America: Civil War. And then going back to the end of last year there was the Star Wars movie, with Rogue One set for this coming winter.

I seem to remember summer being the time when a lot of big movies would come out, but it looks like that may be changing.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

a summer of mediocre movies? Empty Re: a summer of mediocre movies?

Post  Paeter August 17th 2016, 10:14 am

jazzact13 wrote:So, am I the only who's thought that the 2016 summer movies have been pretty much mediocre?

The last movie I saw at a theater was ID4-2, so it's been about a month and a half since I've been to a theater, and one reason has been that there simply hasn't been much of anything interesting to watch there.

Ghostbusters? Never really got my interest. Suicide Squad? That's been most tempting, but I guess not enough.

At least this year, it seems like the biggest movies came out early. Love it or hate it, few movies can get the hype that Batman vs Superman got, and then a few weeks later there was Captain America: Civil War. And then going back to the end of last year there was the Star Wars movie, with Rogue One set for this coming winter.

I seem to remember summer being the time when a lot of big movies would come out, but it looks like that may be changing.

You might be on to something. I can't think of any movie that was hyped and then universally delivered what audiences wanted or had staying power in conversations afterward. What I also notice is that every movie you mentioned is from a pre-existing IP. I wonder if some of the magic of summers past came from more inclusion of totally original material that found ways to surprise us.

www.spiritblade.com
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

Post  mikel.withers August 17th 2016, 12:44 pm

There have been a couple "rent in a year" movies, but no "I need to see this on the big screen" movies.
    The last one I saw in theater was Central Intelligence with the Rock and Chris Hart, and it was good, but not one I'd have felt like i missed out on. Likewise, the next movie coming along I care about is the Madea Halloween movie, but big screen? Probably not.
    Rogue One, however, I'll be there with a tub o' popcorn and a vat o' soda. Is that going to have a 3D version? If so, I'll probably even pay the extra three bucks for that.
    Captain America Civil War was the last movie I saw that made the big screen worth it.
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate August 17th 2016, 1:04 pm

I enjoyed Star Trek Beyond, Jason Bourne and Suicide Squad, and if you count June as summer, then I enjoyed X-Men Apocalypse as well. So my summer just fine! clown
    jazzact13

Activity : 267
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  jazzact13 August 17th 2016, 10:31 pm

ComiKate wrote:I enjoyed Star Trek Beyond, Jason Bourne and Suicide Squad, and if you count June as summer, then I enjoyed X-Men Apocalypse as well. So my summer just fine! clown

There is a reason I put a question mark at the end of the title, because this is very much my own observation and opinion, not a claim to universal truth.

I would probably like the Jason Bourne movies more if they simply weren't about Jason Bourne. While the first movie had some small similarities to the book, the ones after that were pretty much completely different from Ludlum's stories. I guess I just found that off-putting.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 14th 2024, 10:06 pm