Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

Silence movie

mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

Silence movie Empty Silence movie

Post  mikel.withers December 8th 2016, 11:34 am

Having been fascinated by history, Japanese history, the Sengoku period, and the Kakure Krishitan* (in order of increasing focus), I was excited to happen upon a book "now a major motion picture" called "Silence".
    I'll supply a link for further reading, but basically when Tokugawa Ieyasu finished the unification of Japan he wanted to keep it unified and Japanese, so he and his heirs outlawed Western practices of which a growing Portuguese inspired Christian community was a part.
    As you can imagine, a country that had spent the better part of fifty years in bloody civil war didn't go about this in a gentle manner.
    "Silence" is a novel/movie about that time period.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakure_Kirishitan
    Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Activity : 406
    Geek-Cred : 1

Silence movie Empty Re: Silence movie

Post  Reed Benson December 9th 2016, 1:31 am

I really want to read that book. It's weird for me to think that Japan ever had a period of Christian persecution, what with them never being Communist.

Movies based on religion don't often get released here in China, but I wouldn't be surprised if this one gets some play. The Chinese government loves vilifying Japan.
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers December 9th 2016, 11:03 am

I have always found it curious to think "what if" about that time period in Japan.
    Like: What if Oda Nobunaga, Christian name: Geronimo, hadn't been betrayed, but had unified Japan instead of Tokugawa Ieyasu? O.N. might not have been devout, but he was a forward-thinker, and a modernizing Japan with strong ties to powerful European nations could have rewritten ...well, pretty much all Asian history from that point forward.
    Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Activity : 406
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  Reed Benson December 11th 2016, 4:10 am

mikel.withers wrote:I have always found it curious to think "what if" about that time period in Japan.
    Like: What if Oda Nobunaga, Christian name: Geronimo, hadn't been betrayed, but had unified Japan instead of Tokugawa Ieyasu? O.N. might not have been devout, but he was a forward-thinker, and a modernizing Japan with strong ties to powerful European nations could have rewritten ...well, pretty much all Asian history from that point forward.

Dude, now I'm just getting depressed thinking about how it didn't happen...
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers January 8th 2017, 10:36 pm

I got the book from Audible and I'm fascinated by it.
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers January 13th 2017, 8:38 am

I had to share this...
    An atheist friend and his friend went to see Silence. On their Facebook post, my friend left an angry face, and his friend said he couldn't relate because of the faith bit.
    I asked, "What did you think you were going to watch?"
    Basically, they thought the guys were going to rescue (they said "save" which I thought was hilarious as well) Liam Neeson's character. Laughing

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 19th 2024, 1:31 am