Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

Spiritual Growth Author Recommendations?

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Spiritual Growth Author Recommendations? Empty Spiritual Growth Author Recommendations?

Post  Paeter February 1st 2017, 12:09 pm

I've recently decided I'd like to better equip myself to connect with folks who are dealing with some of the more common emotional problems like anger/bitterness, depression, anxiety, insecurity, etc. At the very least, I'd like to build up a list of books that I can recommend. But since I always hesitate to recommend books I haven't read entirely myself, I want to start reading some respected authors on these issues.

For the books I'm looking for, I specifically want authors who hold up the Bible as their highest authority but also have counseling or psychology credentials. I realize there are authors that are very helpful that don't fit that description, so I'm not closed to them. But I'd like to weed out the fluffy self-help kinds of books filled with nice ideas but lacking experienced-based wisdom.

Any recommendations?

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Spiritual Growth Author Recommendations? Empty Re: Spiritual Growth Author Recommendations?

Post  AdamCollings February 1st 2017, 5:12 pm

My first thoughts go to Wayne Kerrison who is a (mostly retired) pastor at my church. I believe he fits the description. He has written two books on dealing with grief and loss. Wayne is a qualified counselor, and somebody I consider to be very wise.

https://www.amazon.com/You-can-get-through-this-ebook/dp/B00RPO1ZV2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485986878&sr=8-1&keywords=wayne+kerrison

https://www.amazon.com/Steps-Grief-Resolution-working-through/dp/1506003788/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1485986878&sr=8-2&keywords=wayne+kerrison

I'm not sure how much he references the Bible in these books, as I believe they are written for a wider audience than just the church, but he definitely holds up the Bible as the highest authority.

Current date/time is April 26th 2024, 4:25 pm