Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

The Best Atheism Has To Offer? (William Lane Craig Debates)

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

The Best Atheism Has To Offer? (William Lane Craig Debates) Empty The Best Atheism Has To Offer? (William Lane Craig Debates)

Post  Paeter February 2nd 2017, 9:15 am

WHile painting my office I filled time by watching/listening full debates between Christian Apologist William Lane Craig and several atheist thinkers.

I'd highly recommend going to youtube and searching "William Lane Craig Debates", and watching the full debate results (rather than clips).

Confirming for my faith, but it also leaves me still asking, "where are the rational atheists?"

The easy jabbing response would be to say "there are none", but I'm genuinely interested in hearing from a solid atheist thinker who stays focused on a line of reasoning (instead of jumping all over the place to his various pet peeves) and has dense verbal content rather than filler and insulting punch lines.

At times (especially with Christopher Hitchens) it felt like Craig was debating a stand up comedian and not an academic.

www.spiritblade.com
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

The Best Atheism Has To Offer? (William Lane Craig Debates) Empty Re: The Best Atheism Has To Offer? (William Lane Craig Debates)

Post  mikel.withers February 3rd 2017, 9:27 am

WLC is a terrific example of "giving a defense". He really shows that the rational, reasoned viewpoint is the Christian one. -of course it helps that most of those he debates seem to think they'll win just by showing up. Hitchens, at least, was always entertaining, but that isn't really the point of a debate, is it?
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

The Best Atheism Has To Offer? (William Lane Craig Debates) Empty Re: The Best Atheism Has To Offer? (William Lane Craig Debates)

Post  Paeter February 3rd 2017, 9:54 am

mikel.withers wrote:WLC is a terrific example of "giving a defense". He really shows that the rational, reasoned viewpoint is the Christian one. -of course it helps that most of those he debates seem to think they'll win just by showing up. Hitchens, at least, was always entertaining, but that isn't really the point of a debate, is it?

True. Sadly I don't think people of the facebook/talking heads generation understand that. Whoever gets in the most clever dig is deemed "the winner" and it's more about the spectacle of a competition and rooting for your side than it is about dissecting ideas to get at truth. (and Christians can be guilty of this too!)

Craig also debated Sam Harris, who deliberately chose to not respond to Craig's arguments in favor of just hitting his own assorted collection of pet peeves. (See video below)

Likewise, when someone deceptively misrepresented themselves to Dr. Craig during the Q&A (which Craig saw right through), Sam Harris can be seen giving them a smile and a "thumbs up" in approving support. (Exchange begins just before the 1hr 50 min mark)

This was at a respected university! This is where we are today!

A post-debate interview with Craig was also very insightful regarding the drama and character staining that Harris attempted to conjure. (See additional video below)

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 26th 2024, 12:13 pm