Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Is the Batman Family Too Big?

AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 834
    Geek-Cred : 4

Is the Batman Family Too Big? Empty Is the Batman Family Too Big?

Post  AGoodReed March 27th 2019, 8:16 pm

Saw this in a Facebook group. Not sure what issue it's from.

Is the Batman Family Too Big? 54214910

I've heard Paeter mention before how he doesn't like it when Batman has large supporting cast because an important part of the character is his loneliness. So I'm guessing this is overstepping it just a bit, huh?

How does Gotham still have crime with all these superheroes who don't seem to have day jobs or the need to sleep? tongue
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Is the Batman Family Too Big? Empty Re: Is the Batman Family Too Big?

Post  Paeter March 28th 2019, 9:55 am

AGoodReed wrote:
    I've heard Paeter mention before how he doesn't like it when Batman has large supporting cast because an important part of the character is his loneliness. So I'm guessing this is overstepping it just a bit, huh?

How does Gotham still have crime with all these superheroes who don't seem to have day jobs or the need to sleep? tongue

Lol!

I'm guessing Gotham has gotten worse over time. At least that's how I'd justify it if I was the writer.

As for Batman's loneliness, I definitely still prefer him to do his thing alone. But his loner qualities can still come out through how he relates to his supporting cast (or rather how he doesn't). I can see it working if he kind of unwittingly attracts allies to himself, out of the respect they have for him, but doesn't WANT them around and lets it show. But that's the extent of it for me. I think Batman being some kind of trainer/mentor works now and then, but I don't like it as an ongoing thing. And anything that remotely smells like "family" for Batman is not for me at all.

Mmm. No, I have to take that back. There have been some touching moments with his various Robins that have been cool. But it needs to be a rare card played and the relationships should be severely dysfunctional, even if we know there is underlying love. For my tastes, Batman's exposure to happiness should be partial and brief, and then snatched away if possible.

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings March 28th 2019, 5:26 pm

What's Batman saying in the speech bubble? I tried zooming in to read it but it didn't help.
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 834
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  AGoodReed March 28th 2019, 6:30 pm

AdamCollings wrote:What's Batman saying in the speech bubble? I tried zooming in to read it but it didn't help.

I'm pretty sure he's saying, "Cheese."
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter March 29th 2019, 10:04 am

AGoodReed wrote:
    AdamCollings wrote:What's Batman saying in the speech bubble? I tried zooming in to read it but it didn't help.

I'm pretty sure he's saying, "Cheese."

Yeah, that was a really nice touch.

www.spiritblade.com
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike March 31st 2019, 10:14 pm

I'm pretty sure there's still a large chunk of characters missing, even if you just include the Gotham-central ones that are in on Batman's secret. Gordon, Creeper, and Sasha Bordeaux spring immediately to mind. And then there's the 60s....

Paeter wrote:(Batman's) relationships should be severely dysfunctional, even if we know there is underlying love. For my tastes, Batman's exposure to happiness should be partial and brief, and then snatched away if possible.

You know, I hear this quite a lot, and I've never really understood it. It's always seemed to me that in order for Batman to operate while surrounded by the danger and depravity he's constantly immersed in, his relationships have to be incredibly functional. He absolutely needs the support of the people around him in order to function as a hero and detective.

Maybe I need a contrasting agent in dark and grim stories? Maybe I think Batman works best when he's portrayed as the best possible version of Humanity overcoming great personal adversity? Maybe I just want everyone to be happy?

One thing's for sure, there's enough Batman stories out there to satisfy pretty much every taste.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter April 1st 2019, 10:30 am

mindspike wrote:

Maybe I need a contrasting agent in dark and grim stories? Maybe I think Batman works best when he's portrayed as the best possible version of Humanity overcoming great personal adversity? Maybe I just want everyone to be happy?

One thing's for sure, there's enough Batman stories out there to satisfy pretty much every taste.

For sure. This character has been re-interpreted so many times, and we all kind of latch on to "our Batman". I can totally appreciate that many readers would prefer not to see him as the tragic character or cautionary tale I like to see him as.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 26th 2024, 7:15 am