Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Ray Comfort Evangelism

AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 834
    Geek-Cred : 4

Ray Comfort Evangelism Empty Ray Comfort Evangelism

Post  AGoodReed July 7th 2019, 6:04 pm

What does everyone think of Ray Comfort's method of evangelism?

Ray is from New Zealand, but he lives in California. His ministry is called Living Waters, and he does a lot of street preaching. He seems to have two major ways of reaching out to people: he either goes throughout various neighborhoods interviewing people about their views on God or he does public preaching near the beach to crowds that gather.

His conversations with people always follow very similar scripts. First, he asks them what they believe about God and/or the afterlife. Then he asks if they think they'd make it into heaven (whether or not they believe in it) or if they're a good person. Most people say yes, so then he gives them a little test on which of the ten commandments they've broken. He doesn't go through all ten, but he almost always asks them if they've ever lied, stolen, or lusted after a woman or man. He usually references what the Bible says at this part. Inevitably, people say yes to most or all.

Then he asks them, based on that evidence, if they stood before God as a judge, would he let them into heaven? If they say no, he makes sure they realize this is a serious thing, and then he tells them about what Christ did to save them from hell. If they say, "Yes because I've done more good than bad" or something, he argues that a judge wouldn't let a thief or murderer go free just because they were a nice person. Then he brings it back around to how they're damned to hell without accepting Christ, and he cares about them and doesn't want that to happen to them.

If the person sticks around, he tells them to read their Bible and really think about what he said. A lot of times, he shows them a magic trick, gives them a gift card to someplace, or something nice to show that he really likes them.

People have different reactions, of course, but a lot of the time, even when they disagree, they're cordial about it.

Here's an example of a one-on-one interview:

And here's one of the public situations:

Anyone have any strong opinions on this either way? I used to be mostly against it, but now I'm thinking it's not such a bad way to do things. If only I could get up the courage to do it...
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Ray Comfort Evangelism Empty Re: Ray Comfort Evangelism

Post  Paeter July 9th 2019, 12:03 pm

Ray Comfort is fascinating to me.

I would normally have great reservations about this approach, but that's because I have seen many examples of it done without love or investment in people. But he seems to do this so well.

I talk more about Ray Comfort in my review of his movie "Audacity"

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings July 10th 2019, 7:17 pm

His approach seems pretty good to me. A logical way of laying out the gospel, from our need for salvation, to God's solution. Making it personal, and going through the 10 commandments is a good way to break people out of the "but I'm a good person" mindset, which is prevalent, but not exactly logical.

But I'd agree with Paeter's caution that following scripts like this can sometimes come across as unloving or lacking in compassion. People hate to feel like their the victim of a telemarketer. I know how uncomfortable that makes me feel.

Interestingly, Kirk Cameron is a big fan of Ray Comfort, and they used his "script" in the movie Left Behind II: Tribulation Force.
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Post  AGoodReed July 10th 2019, 9:04 pm

AdamCollings wrote:Interestingly, Kirk Cameron is a big fan of Ray Comfort, and they used his "script" in the movie Left Behind II: Tribulation Force.

Kirk and Ray used to work together extensively. They had a TV show about how to evangelize called Way of the Master which they've been recently archiving on YouTube.

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter July 11th 2019, 11:41 am

AGoodReed wrote:
    Kirk and Ray used to work together extensively. They had a TV show about how to evangelize called Way of the Master which they've been recently archiving on YouTube.

Yeah, I don't think that show was Comfort's best work, personally. And before the word "meme" was a thing, "Way Of The Master" was unintentionally producing a few that were not flattering to Christians.

www.spiritblade.com
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Post  AGoodReed July 12th 2019, 8:37 am

Paeter wrote:
    AGoodReed wrote:

Yeah, I don't think that show was Comfort's best work, personally. And before the word "meme" was a thing, "Way Of The Master" was unintentionally producing a few that were not flattering to Christians.

I haven't watched it yet, but Ray has a documentary out giving his side of the "Banana Man" segment that made him such a laughingstock among some. I remember the original clip being shown at my previous church as an example of the kind of Christian apologetics that doesn't help.

I'm really anxious to watch this doc, but I do tend to squirm when I watch Ray's interviews with the public. Not because of him but because of the responses of the people. (Really, I get antsy whenever I watch any evangelism videos or debates.)

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter July 12th 2019, 11:39 am

Wow! That's the first meme I was thinking of! Had no idea he made a MOVIE about it! Thanks for the link! VERY curious!

www.spiritblade.com
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy July 17th 2019, 9:23 am

I really like Ray's approach of appealing to everyone's conscience and using the Law to convict them. We all think we're better than we really are. Sad It seems many sharing the "gospel" is "Jesus has a wonderful plan for your life" and "your life will be so much easier with Jesus" and very little talk of sin and the need for a Savior and repentance. He really gets to the heart of the matter but in a caring, personable way.

He is much more bold than I would be able to be, but I'm definitely glad there are people like him out there.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 26th 2024, 11:01 pm