Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Join The CGC Extra Life Team!

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Join The CGC Extra Life Team! Empty Join The CGC Extra Life Team!

Post  Paeter September 10th 2019, 11:55 am

I've set up the Christian Geek Central Extra Life Page! https://www.extra-life.org/team/47394

For those unfamiliar, Extra Life is a charity event that raises money for children whose parents cannot afford the critical medical treatment they need. The treatments cover a wide range of issues, from cancer to injuries and other diseases. Participants also choose a local affiliated hospital to raise funds for, so your efforts directly impact your own community. This will be my sixth year participating in Extra Life and I've found it to be a great way to combine my love of video games with the urgent Biblical call to care for the hurting and helpless.

Participating only requires a willingness to ask friends and family to consider contributing to your fundraising efforts. Just a few e-mails and that's it!

Now of course, that's not the fun part. The fun part (which isn't required... but is FUN!!) is doing something game-related to draw attention to your fundraising. You could invite friends/family or your church group over for a game night and let them know you'll be setting a bowl out for donation to the cause. You could reserve a room at your church for a similar kind of game night. Or like millions of participants over the years, you can do a big gaming marathon that you tell everyone about, performing it in chunks over several days, or even a 24-hour game-a-thon, like I do each year! (And if you're into streaming, you can stream your marathon for added exposure!)

Anyone thinking of joining the Christian Geek Central team this year? Any questions or concerns about the idea? I'm here to help and would love to have you on the team!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Join The CGC Extra Life Team! Empty Re: Join The CGC Extra Life Team!

Post  AdamCollings September 15th 2019, 6:49 pm

Really considering joining in this time around. I've had an idea of how I could put my own personal spin on a gaming stream.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter September 16th 2019, 12:07 pm

AdamCollings wrote:Really considering joining in this time around. I've had an idea of how I could put my own personal spin on a gaming stream.

Sweet! I'd love to hear what you're thinking!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings September 16th 2019, 6:17 pm

I'm thinking that while I don't have the hardware to stream from my PS3, I can easily stream from the computer using OBS. I could theme an event around the old games I played growing up, especially the Sierra adventure games like the King's Quest and Space Quest series. I could play some old favourites and even play some that I never played back in the day (like the Police Quest games) but have since purchased from GOG.
    I might even be able to attract interest from other Sierra enthusiasts.
    My son could probably join me for some of it as he also likes those old games.

I won't be doing a 24-hour event, though. I'm not that hardcore lol. If for no other reason that I'd want to crawl back into my introvert shell long before that. It always impresses me how you manage. Maybe the better part of a Saturday. I'd probably time it to get the most possible crossover between my timezone and the American timezones.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter September 17th 2019, 11:56 am

AdamCollings wrote: I could theme an event around the old games I played growing up, especially the Sierra adventure games like the King's Quest and Space Quest series.

What a cool idea! If you join the CGC team I would gladly promote that! I'm betting there are some folks that would love that theme!

AdamCollings wrote: I won't be doing a 24-hour event, though. I'm not that hardcore lol. If for no other reason that I'd want to crawl back into my introvert shell long before that. It always impresses me how you manage.

Whatever works for you! As for me, it definitely took more out of me the first couple of years. If you watch the end of my first marathon, I'm totally losing my voice by the end(and my mind, as usual).

Not because I was necessarily talking more than years after that, but I think because the intensity of the experience drained me a lot. But that was one of the first times I had streamed, ever. I've definitely adjusted to it quite a lot. But even so, there is an invisible "social energy tank" that is constantly depleting, to the point that usually after I've slept off the marathon, I basically want to... well, be alone and play video games! lol!

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster September 17th 2019, 7:05 pm

here's hoping Paeter's internet will be able to handle the 24 hour stream this year
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter September 18th 2019, 9:51 am

Rickster wrote:here's hoping Paeter's internet will be able to handle the 24 hour stream this year

Yeah, me too! Two things have changed since last year. Our ISP upgraded our speed (by how much, I don't know, they just notified us of it, likely to keep up with a competitor) and I have a new hard drive. When I took troubleshooting as far as I could with my ISP months ago, they said the only thing left it could be is something specific to my computer.

But I'm not optimistic that things will be improved. If it fails again this year then next year I will try doing the marathon on a different day and hope that the problem is related to congestion. (It did seem to fail each time during hours that more people would be using internet at home.) We'll see!

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1095
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  jorowi October 1st 2019, 1:59 pm

I'm planning on participating this year. I'm talking to my wife about my plans and hoping we can work something out.

On another note: One week before the live stream on 10/26, I'm going to fast for 24 hours. I'll probably start after lunch on Friday and end at midday on Saturday.

I'll be seeking the Lord about the following:

1. That Christ is glorified in all the events related to the CGC fundraising efforts.
    2. That any technical issues Paeter (and others) have had in the past would be minimized.
    3. That all fundraising goals will be met.
    4. That Paeter and all other participants remain healthy leading up to, the day of, and after the events.

I hope you'll join me, even if it means only skipping one meal or cutting out something else in your life. I'd strongly encourage you to cut out food because that is the example we have in the Bible and hunger is a physical sensation associated with seeking God (Matthew 5:6).

Twitter
    Instagram
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter October 1st 2019, 3:43 pm

So thoughtful, John! Thank you so much!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 2nd 2024, 9:14 am