Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

The Star Trek That Almost Was

AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1759
    Geek-Cred : 11

The Star Trek That Almost Was Empty The Star Trek That Almost Was

Post  AdamCollings September 8th 2020, 11:15 pm

Little warning. This thread contains spoilers for Farscape season 3.

So I've just learned something fascinating about Star Trek: The Next Generation, and what it might have been. Most fans agree that season 7 was pretty weak, as it seemed the writers were running out of ideas. But something almost happened at the end of season 6 that could have drastically changed that.

Who remembers the episoide "Second Chance" where they find a transporter duplicate of Riker who has been stranded on a planet for 8 years. He's essentially the same person as Will Riker, he's just had different experiences. Niether is more "real" than the other.

This may sound like a familiar concept from Farscape, butg unlike Farscape, which kept both Crichtons around for quite some time, the Star Trek episode ended with the duplicate "Thomas" Riker leaving the Enterprise to take up a post else where.

But a much bolder ending was originally developed, which the writers very seriously considered implementing.

It turned out, they planned for Will Riker to die, sacrificing his life to save his duplicate, Thomas. This would have resulted in Jonothan Frakes playing Thomas for the duration of season 7. He would have been the helmsman of the Enterprise, while Data would have moved up to first officer. Quite the shakeup for TNG!
    This also would have left Marina Sirtis in a similar situation to Aeyen in Farscape.  Will Riker, who she had known and love (admitedly a long time ago). To her, that was the "real" Will, but Thomas would be there, still very much in love with her, but having to prove to her that he is every bit as much the person she had loved as the other Will Riker had been.

In the end, they decided not to follow through with this plan, because they wanted the original Command Will Riker in the upcoming movies.

But can you imagine if they'd gone through with it?

Farscape ended up showing us how awesomely this plot could be done, but TNG nearly did it first. And that kinda blows my mind.
    Part of me wishes they'd had the guys to do this.
    But then, if they had, we may not have got it on Farscape.

Interesting.

My source for this information was Lorerunner's recent videon on the episode.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

The Star Trek That Almost Was Empty Re: The Star Trek That Almost Was

Post  Paeter September 10th 2020, 9:43 am

AdamCollings wrote:

Farscape ended up showing us how awesomely this plot could be done, but TNG nearly did it first. And that kinda blows my mind.
    Part of me wishes they'd had the guys to do this.
    But then, if they had, we may not have got it on Farscape.

[Put's on uber-devotee hat] Ah, but as I think you and I both know, Adam, if Trek did it first, Farscape would have done it again... with a subversive twist! A subversive version of an already subversive idea? I'm onboard to see that!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1759
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings September 10th 2020, 7:01 pm

Yeah. Wow. Now that's got me thinking, if Star Trek had done this, how much further would Farscape have taken it. What would that have looked like.
    It boggles the mind.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 17th 2024, 6:14 am