Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

My Weird Church Situation

AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 835
    Geek-Cred : 4

My Weird Church Situation Empty My Weird Church Situation

Post  AGoodReed September 26th 2020, 6:58 pm

Okay, how can I keep this as simple as possible? scratch

I don't feel like I have a home church anymore.

In summer of last year, I left my church of over a decade because I finally admitted to myself that they had strayed from biblical orthodoxy. When my wife, daughter, and I came to the U.S. to visit, we attended the church my sister served at. They didn't have a pastor at the time, though, because he had moved to Texas the spring before. After we went back to Asia in August, I kept up with the church's sermons, but living so far away, I couldn't really plug myself in and become a part of things.

After getting stuck in the U.S. at the beginning of this year, we were able to attend services again, and I got to see the first sermon of the newly hired pastor the week before the lockdown shut things down. I still watch online each week, but I haven't braved going back to the church even though they've opened up for fear of bringing the virus home to my daughter.

I was thinking that this church would eventually become my home church if/when my family moves to the U.S. But my sister and her family just moved to a town three hours south of here, and my parents are hoping to move down there sometime within the next year or so. It's quite likely that, the next time we come back to visit, we won't even see my hometown. That would make it hard to be a part of this church.

Meanwhile, when I'm Asia, I usually meet with a group of mostly foreigners once a week in an apartment. They were doing Zoom meetings for a bit during the pandemic, but they're back to meeting in person again. They've never felt like a home church to me because they don't have a pastor, they just listen to sermon series downloaded online. They also don't have any reason to take offering since they don't have a building or any overhead costs. But they recently voted to elect elders for some reason. I'm pretty out of the loop on that, but it seems like an odd choice.

So, yeah...I'm not really looking for advice, because I don't think there's anything I can do. I'm just saying that, based on what churches I've been interacting with recently, I feel closer to Nathan James Norman's church in Michigan right now than I do to any church I've ever actually been a part of.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

My Weird Church Situation Empty Re: My Weird Church Situation

Post  Paeter September 28th 2020, 3:23 pm

Man I'm so sorry. Hearing about your situation reminds me of the times in Paul's letters when he expresses how much he wants to be with the churches he's writing to. Like you, he was literally, physically unable to be a part of the local church, and it was really hard for him. There may not be anything we can do to counsel you, but I think your situation can serve as counsel to the rest of us to be grateful for our local churches, even with their flaws. Thanks for sharing a bit of what you're going through. Please let us know if you'd like prayer for anything in particular.

www.spiritblade.com

Current date/time is May 16th 2024, 8:46 pm