Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Geeky pro wrestlers doing geeky things

AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 835
    Geek-Cred : 4

Geeky pro wrestlers doing geeky things Empty Geeky pro wrestlers doing geeky things

Post  AGoodReed October 31st 2020, 11:31 am

Pro wrestling fans are geeks, whether they admit it or not. But for some reason, there doesn't seem to be much crossover between pro wrestling and other geek hobbies like role-playing games or fantastical fiction.

Geeky pro wrestlers doing geeky things El2wyh12

Brandon Cutler is a geek and a wrestler. He comes to the ring with a dragon mask and outfit that fans of Dungeons and Dragons will probably understand better than I do. He also brings a big 20-sided die out with him and rolls it before his matches.

Geeky pro wrestlers doing geeky things Petera10

Peter Avalon is probably a geek. He plays one in the ring, anyway. He's nicknamed "The Librarian" and comes to the ring saying, "Shhhhhh," over the microphone. He used to dress as a stuck-up librarian, too, but now he just wears a robe to the ring with tights underneath.

Geeky pro wrestlers doing geeky things 04-3mb10
    Geeky pro wrestlers doing geeky things Cki_jp10
    Geeky pro wrestlers doing geeky things Deymae10
    Geeky pro wrestlers doing geeky things Ehx0jy10

Leva Bates, Avalon's manager, is definitely a geek. She likes to cosplay in and out of the ring (though she hasn't been doing it in AEW, probably for copyright reasons). She also carries Avalon's books to the ring.

All Elite Wrestling has a B-show on YouTube called AEW Dark, and Cutler and Avalon have been wrestling on it for a while. Neither of them could ever get a win under their belts. They didn't like each other much, but they started teaming to try to get a win that way, but they still kept losing. Finally, Avalon turned on Cutler, and they had a couple matches against each other (Leva Bates was caught in the middle, being friends with both). Their first match ended in a double count out (both men were outside the ring too long), so it was a draw. Their next match ended in a a double disqualification when they each hit each other with weapons (a book and the large 20-sided die).

Finally, this past week, they had a match with no count outs or disqualifications. The result saw one guy get slammed onto a bunch of multi-sided dice and another guy get hit in the head with a hardcover copy of The Silmarillion. But in the end, someone finally got his first victory.

mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Geeky pro wrestlers doing geeky things Empty Re: Geeky pro wrestlers doing geeky things

Post  mindspike November 1st 2020, 10:39 am

You are not wrong. And with Heroclix getting ready to release a second series of WWE figures, it's apparently okay to be a geek who loves wrestling. As for wrestlers who bring out their inner fan, consider Tegan Nox, whose ring gear is a blatant Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) cosplay.

Geeky pro wrestlers doing geeky things Nxt-tegan-nox-captain-marvel-header-1215740

And you can check out all of her Captain Marvel ring gear in the ComicBook.com article.

Ember Moon has spoken extensively about her love for D&D and how it has inspired her character.

Geeky pro wrestlers doing geeky things Dnd_pod_embermoon

And Xavier Woods (nee Austin Creed) hosts a YouTube channel where he and other WWE Superstars play video games and geek out about them - some more so than others. And he himself has shown up in the ring in full Saiyan costume.

Geeky pro wrestlers doing geeky things Zh9j7IBw_400x400

I guess the line isn't really blurring, it's just gone. That's a bit surreal.

On a completely unrelated note, I started watching Lucha Underground on Tubi (free streaming service) and I'm really impressed. The first episode features Chavo Guerrero and Blue Demon Jr - luchadores that give instant credibility to the show. And the premier closed with a main event by Johnny Mundo (John Morrison of WWE) and Prince Puma, whom I initially took to be the heir apparent of Puma King, but swiftly recognized as Trevor Mann (later to portray Ricochet on WWE). The stories are excellent, more tightly scripted than WWE, and the in-ring talent is unbelievable. I look forward to enjoying the whole series.

Samuru likes this post

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Geeky pro wrestlers doing geeky things Empty Re: Geeky pro wrestlers doing geeky things

Post  Paeter November 2nd 2020, 10:32 am

AGoodReed wrote:The result saw one guy get slammed onto a bunch of multi-sided dice and another guy get hit in the head with a hardcover copy of The Silmarillion.

I think I see one or two 4-siders on that mat. Ouch.

www.spiritblade.com
    Samuru

Activity : 1
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  Samuru November 7th 2020, 12:15 pm

Cool, that Saiyan outfit is nice!
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 835
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  AGoodReed November 7th 2020, 5:29 pm

mindspike wrote:On a completely unrelated note, I started watching Lucha Underground on Tubi (free streaming service) and I'm really impressed. The first episode features Chavo Guerrero and Blue Demon Jr - luchadores that give instant credibility to the show. And the premier closed with a main event by Johnny Mundo (John Morrison of WWE) and Prince Puma, whom I initially took to be the heir apparent of Puma King, but swiftly recognized as Trevor Mann (later to portray Ricochet on WWE). The stories are excellent, more tightly scripted than WWE, and the in-ring talent is unbelievable. I look forward to enjoying the whole series.

I figured this topic would bring Winston out of hiding. Glad you like LU. I'm intending to go watch the whole series sometime, but we'll see if I ever get around to it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 2nd 2024, 9:15 pm