Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

How do we know what is good? (A discussion with my friend)

AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 835
    Geek-Cred : 4

How do we know what is good? (A discussion with my friend) Empty How do we know what is good? (A discussion with my friend)

Post  AGoodReed February 6th 2021, 1:57 pm

Okay, boys and girls, it's apologetics time. I'm still in dialogue with my old friend on Facebook, and we got into something worthy of a new thread.

As a recap, this friend was in my youth group as a kid but left the faith while pursuing higher education. He's a philosophy major, a Rhodes Scholar, and studied abroad at either Cambridge or Oxford (forget which). Meanwhile, I have an English degree and can't even keep grammar straight.

But apologetics isn't about knowing every answer, it's about knowing why you believe what you believe. Or something like that.

I think the moral argument is one of the best arguments for why there must be something beyond us. I think it's a good entry point to get to the truths of Christ, which are the best arguments for the Christian God being that something.

Thus, I posed this question to my friend:

"So, you don't come across to me as a relativist. You're against racism, authoritarianism, and dishonesty. In your worldview, how do you determine what is good and what is bad?"

He gave a pretty long response.

His response wrote:so I don’t believe in Truth (capital T). But I do believe that truths are knowable because all evidence shows we live in the world together and have found some stuff out about it along the way. The sciences being a very reliable way to learn things. Mathematical truths seem to be true on a very deep level. And like anyone I take my experiences and those of those I know and have read about into account with how I think about what’s likely or not to be true. I don’t know if you would call that relativist or not. But that’s epistemology.

Obviously there’s a whole realm of philosophy, ethics, that deals with what’s good and what’s bad question. Many without relying on a God to justify anything.

Generally I still try to live by, do unto others. I think it’s a useful way to not be a jerk. And no one wants to be a jerk but a real jerk. Be kind. Be polite. I would say that’s my personal ethics, as far as I have any. And I don’t live up to them. 😂

On larger political questions looking at questions through multiple ethical lenses is often helpful.

Will this do the most good for the most amount of people? (Utilitarian)

If you were an unborn person who could be born into any amount of status/wealth in your society, would you be okay with being born into the lowest? If not, that’s an unjust society. (Butchering Rawls)

Don’t make something illegal if it’s not causing anyone but the person doing it harm. (Bad paraphrase of JS Mill/ sentiments of everyone I’ve ever met that lives in the West😂)

These are examples of how I might think about the right and wrong of something. But obviously it depends on the thing, any of that would apply.
    I once gave a speech against “moral relativism” as a Sophomore in High School. I was convinced that right and wrong had to absolute or be meaningless by people like Chuck Colsen and Harold Bloom. One of my classmates decimated me in like a second.

Him: So you say all right and wrong is absolute, so it’s always wrong to lie?

Me (with absolute confidence): Yes

Him: So if you go to a lemonade stand being run by 1st graders and they give you some lemonade and you try it and it taste terrible and right then these kids ask you, “is is good, mister?” Your going to tell them, “this lemonade is awful!”?

Me (falling for his trap): well, not in those words but I would...

*audible gasps from the class that I could be such a monster*

I went on to further make an ass of myself by trying to claim that giving the kids tips on how to make the lemonade better would be better for everyone, but I had dug my hole.

I don’t think things are so black and white anymore.
    Sometimes it’s better to be kind than truthful, for instance. But not all the time. It depends on the context.

There's a lot to pick apart here. I've been watching some short videos from William Lane Craig and Frank Turek on the moral argument. Turek's presentations are more practical to a layman like me.

I'm contemplating how much I should answer directly. I'm thinking I should just choose one point and question him on it. For example, he says he tries not to be a jerk. I could ask, "If being a jerk means seeking out your own desires without any care as to whether or not your actions cause other people harm, why do you think it's wrong to be a jerk? And are you saying that everyone should strive to not be a jerk?"

As for the story of the debate experience, I get the sense that being embarrassed in situations like that did a lot to mess my friend up. I would think that the correct response to the lemonade stand story would be to answer a question with a question: "Why is it wrong to hurt the feelings of a group of 1st graders?" Also, I don't know that I would say that it's always wrong to lie. That may be a topic for another thread, but if you're hiding Jews from the Nazis, and the Gestapo asks you directly, "Are there Jews in your house?" should you lie and say, "No"? I think you probably should, but I don't know how that squares with the Biblical command not to bear false witness. And I don't think I'll address this to my friend right away.

Any thoughts or wisdom from anyone? I hope I'm not being annoying by still talking about this guy. I just don't want to waste my opportunities or misrepresent the Truth (capital T).
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

How do we know what is good? (A discussion with my friend) Empty Re: How do we know what is good? (A discussion with my friend)

Post  Paeter February 8th 2021, 5:00 pm

I'm with on the suspicion that negative experiences and peer pressure may have had a big effect on his worldview. There is a lot of need for nuance in that lemonade stand scenario that he evidently wasn't able to think through at the time, and it sounds like the humiliation he felt became equated in his mind with the weight of his opponent's argument, which just doesn't follow at all.

Personally, I'd want clarification on his use of the expression "Truth, Capital T". If he means he doesn't believe in absolute, objective truth, that is demonstrably false if he tries to make the statement "absolute truth does not exist". (Since that is a self-defeating statement.) However, if he sticks to "I don't believe absolute truth exists", that is not a statement he has to defend, because it makes no claim about reality apart from reporting his own mental state.

It seems to me there is a core issue here that should be focused on, while refusing to be bated by distracting side-issues. What that core issue is I'm not confident enough to say. As much as I love apologetics, I would point you to the forums at reasonablefaith.org, and also recommend you spend some time regularly scanning/consuming content at that site in general. Those who are regularly dealing with and talking about these issues will have much better insight into a productive path for you than I would.

www.spiritblade.com
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 835
    Geek-Cred : 4

How do we know what is good? (A discussion with my friend) Empty Re: How do we know what is good? (A discussion with my friend)

Post  AGoodReed February 12th 2021, 10:07 am

An update: As of this morning, I believe we have officially reached our "pearls before swine" moment. The conversation took a turn when my own question of "How do we know what is good?" was turned on me and I presented my beliefs based on God's character. I received some more polite questioning and pushback, including a contention that God must be a hypocrite for condemning murder while also telling Abraham to murder his son. After some online study and a lengthy conversation with my pastor (very nice to be able to have one of those again), I responded with some pretty in-depth answers that I think (and my pastor thinks) are biblically sound.

Alas, he did not have ears to hear. He responded today, still politely, with words that just prove to me that we're playing cards with different decks. I'm probably just going to tell him that we've reached an impasse and I'll be praying for him, but I don't think this conversation will do anything but waste time.

A new and unexpected development has come about, though. A new player has entered the game. Another friend from youth group - a girl who still proclaims Christ but thinks that the Bible has too many contradictions to be fully trusted - jumped into the thread to post a wall of text that was somewhat related while not actually fully taking either side.

I told her that I wasn't going to carry on with two conversations in one thread, so I sent her a private message. I asked her how she knows what to believe about Jesus if she can't trust the Bible. I shared some short videos from Dr. Craig, Lenny Esposito, and Mike Licona about how the oral transmission of the Bible was not like a game of telephone (as she believes). And I encouraged her to base her beliefs in facts instead of just feelings (she wrote a lot about how she feels about certain things). She hasn't responded yet.

Oh, I also made a meme that I think is appropriate for the way things are going with social media these days:

How do we know what is good? (A discussion with my friend) Rembra11

(Because I often feel like I want Facebook just to ban me so I don't have to worry about it anymore.)
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter February 16th 2021, 1:48 pm

Man I feel for you. It can be really hard to let someone else get in the last word in public exchanges like that, knowing how ignorant and unreasonable that last word is.

I hope the other person is more receptive! And really glad you had a pastor to walk with you through this!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 7th 2024, 2:51 am