Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

Equipment evolution

JDMTheGreat
    JDMTheGreat

Activity : 61
    Geek-Cred : 0

Equipment evolution Empty Equipment evolution

Post  JDMTheGreat February 9th 2021, 12:09 pm

Recently I've really had a itch for this kind of game in the veins of dark cloud, dark cloud 2 and rogue galaxy. Whenever I look for games like this they tend to only focus on the RPG mechanics being similar. I could care less for that I'm really interested in a equipment evolution mechanic. What is that? Where you level up and upgrade weapons and armor to make your character stronger as the main method of advancement. Pc games would be preferred but xbox one and switch would also be good. I wanted to ask my fellow geeks if they know if anything because Google was being less then helpful in this area. Thanks and God bless.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Equipment evolution Empty Re: Equipment evolution

Post  Paeter February 9th 2021, 2:25 pm

Okay, this may not fit your interests in some ways, but I have to recommend Monster Hunter World. This game is ALL ABOUT the equipment upgrade process. Every monster you hunt gives you components that you can use to craft or improve equipment, and you are very often choosing what Monsters to prep for and hunt entirely because of how they will let you upgrade your equipment. Your character has no inherent stats. It's all about the equipment(and in my experience, knowing when to dodge roll!).

Another game would be Dragon Quest Builders (the first one), which also has an equipment-only upgrade experience, and is far less intense than Monster Hunter World.

Oh man, how long till my work day ends? You got me wanting to play some games!!

www.spiritblade.com

JDMTheGreat likes this post

JDMTheGreat
    JDMTheGreat

Post  JDMTheGreat February 9th 2021, 3:21 pm

Thanks Paeter, think I might give MHW another crack, though I'm still interested if there's any other games that fit in this genre.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter February 10th 2021, 10:21 am

Another that comes to mind is No Man's Sky. No character stats, it's all in what you craft. The same is likely true of a number of survival games. But maybe you're looking for something that is more of a pure RPG experience than survival or sandbox gaming.

www.spiritblade.com

JDMTheGreat
    JDMTheGreat

Post  JDMTheGreat February 10th 2021, 11:18 am

Yeah I'll admit I have MHW and NMS and not sure they truly fit the same itch as the dark cloud series, I've realized it's really about building up and combining equipment mechanic maybe in a fantasy or magical setting that I'm more looking for.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter February 11th 2021, 12:15 pm

Reminds me a bit of Hero Quest, an old fantasy board game where your heroes become more powerful but only through the equipment and items they find or buy. I feel like I've played at least one fantasy video game with that mechanism, but I can't think of what it would be.

www.spiritblade.com

JDMTheGreat
    JDMTheGreat

Post  JDMTheGreat February 11th 2021, 12:20 pm

Speaking of board games like that, me and my wife got into Aeons End which is more of a deck builder however the legacy game where you create your own 'mage' it has that equipment evolution mechanic if it's not so robust it did scratch that itch and let me enjoy a game with my wife.
    JDMTheGreat
    JDMTheGreat

Post  JDMTheGreat February 12th 2021, 10:47 am

Ah Paeter you're podcast reminded me of why I haven't really played MHW and NMS as you said "not family friendly" I rarely have uninterrupted gaming time of big enough chunks to get anywhere and even when I am gaming I must be able to pause and help or love on my family as they need. Got to admit I probably miss out on a bunch of good games when they don't have a pause function. Maybe someday but not this season.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter February 16th 2021, 1:40 pm

JDMTheGreat wrote:Ah Paeter you're podcast reminded me of why I haven't really played MHW and NMS as you said "not family friendly" I rarely have uninterrupted gaming time of big enough chunks to get anywhere and even when I am gaming I must be able to pause and help or love on my family as they need.  Got to admit I probably miss out on a bunch of good games when they don't have a pause function. Maybe someday but not this season.

I hear you. I have to try and schedule those games in when the boys are in bed and Holly is unlikely to need anything. Yet there has still been the rare occasion where I have to run for an alcove somewhere and hope the monster doesn't follow and pummel my inactive avatar!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 19th 2024, 9:16 am