Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

Trying No Man's Sky.

AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Trying No Man's Sky. Empty Trying No Man's Sky.

Post  AdamCollings January 3rd 2022, 6:28 pm

I've been watering my parent's plants while they're away, which has afforded me an oppotrunity. They have a PS4 for the grandkids, and one of the games my Mum picked up was No Man's Sky.

So I've been playing it while I wait for the sprinklers to do their thing.

As expected, I adore the premise and can see untold hours could be poured into exploring the universe in this game.

It's got a bit of a steep learning curve, though. Some of that is probably just my lack of familiarity with the PS4. (It took me ages to realise that the big gray rectangle in the middle of the controller was actually a button. The PS3 controller doesn't have that.)

But the biggest difficulty I've been having is with building. I've reached the point where I'm supposed to build my base. But getting walls to line up is challenging, and getting the roof to appear in the right place is near impossible. Check out my amusing attempts.

Trying No Man's Sky. Nomans10

I'm hoping I can find a way to delete unwanted parts, such as all of those rooves. In any case, after tomorrow I probably won't have much opportunity to play for a while anyway.
    Still, at least I can say I've had a go.

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Trying No Man's Sky. Empty Re: Trying No Man's Sky.

Post  Paeter January 6th 2022, 6:31 pm

Glad you had a chance to check it out!

I can see how the learning curve would be steep. So much has been added to it since launch that I was able to learn gradually. Now it probably gets thrown at players pretty fast and early.

As for building, I use prefabricated rooms and connect them with prefabricated hallways for the most part. Much easier.

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings January 6th 2022, 7:14 pm

Paeter wrote:As for building, I use prefabricated rooms and connect them with prefabricated hallways for the most part. Much easier.

I didn't realise that was a thing. I probably need to research the pre-fabricated rooms. Right now I only seem to have timber wall, timber floor, and timber roof to work with. I did manage to figure out how to delete stuff, though, and managed to get my roof to snap into place. I now have two airtight sheds where I can go and not have to rely on my thermal protection. Man, I need sodium. I need all the sodium.

Anyway, in my last play session I managed to make it to a space station, started learning words in alien languages, and teleported between my base and the station. Pretty cool stuff. This is pretty much where it ends.......for now.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter January 13th 2022, 7:10 pm

AdamCollings wrote:
    Paeter wrote:As for building, I use prefabricated rooms and connect them with prefabricated hallways for the most part. Much easier.

Man, I need sodium. I need all the sodium.

I know the feeling!!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings September 1st 2022, 10:14 pm

So I have now officially inherited my parent's PS4 as they are moving to a retirement resort in Queensland and won't be needing it.

Which means, I can play No Man's Sky whenever I want. I decided to start a new game from scratch to remind myself the early lessons of the tutorial. I'm now building my base on a pretty cool planet which doesn't rely so much on hazard protection. Loving this game so far. So much to explore. New lifeforms to discover. It's like living in Star Trek.

But the big question is.....did the CGC Base ever eventuate?
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter September 2nd 2022, 7:15 pm

AdamCollings wrote:

The beginning of the base does exist. The big question in my mind is whether or not PS+ is required for people to interact with it. For that matter, I'd be interested to know if I could reach your base if you give me the "stargate" address. I think I've still got your phone number so I'll send you a screenshot with the stargate address. Feel free to send me coordinates to your nearest stargate with lat/long of your base if it isn't right next to the gate (mine is).

See ya! (Maybe!)

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings September 3rd 2022, 8:19 am

Paeter wrote:
    AdamCollings wrote:

The beginning of the base does exist. The big question in my mind is whether or not PS+ is required for people to interact with it. For that matter, I'd be interested to know if I could reach your base if you give me the "stargate" address. I think I've still got your phone number so I'll send you a screenshot with the stargate address. Feel free to send me coordinates to your nearest stargate with lat/long of your base if it isn't right next to the gate (mine is).

See ya! (Maybe!)

Sounds good. I haven't discovered stargates in the game yet. For that matter, I don't yet have a hyperdrive.
    Once I'm at that point let's do this.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings September 3rd 2022, 8:24 am

Okay. I am un-imaginably frustrated.

I made it to the space station where I was able to get the decoded coordinates.
    I followed them to a crashed spaceship where I found a message which gave me the blueprints for a hyperdrive.
    Right next to the crashed spaceship was a trading post (this seems to be the only place in the game I can buy microchips, not that I can afford them).

I went off to find an alien artefact to sell, but now I can't get back to the outpost. It's no longer showing as a highlighted place that I can navigate to.

I've spent the last two hours flying around my planet trying desperately to this find this place again to no avail.

I don't know what else to do. I can't buy microchips on the space station. And I can't really sell anything to anyone there either.

I'm basically at a stalemate in the game. If only I could find my way back to that crashed ship and the trading post that was next to it.

Is anybody who has played the game able to help me?

I now go to bed to stew in my frustration and disappointment.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter September 3rd 2022, 2:37 pm

Man I'm so sorry. That sounds really frustrating.

I'm really rusty with NMS now, and I don't know if you have the capability yet, but I seem to remember being able to either scan a planet from orbit or set up a scanner on the planet surface to find the types of buildings you're looking for. I also got used to google being my friend while playing NMS. NMS is designed with player supported communities and resources in mind, like minecraft in a sense. So searching for something like "how to find _____ in No Man's Sky" would probably be my next move. There are a TON of resources out there and leveraging them really became part of the meta-level experience of the game for me.

I hope that helps!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 6th 2024, 4:14 pm