Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Henry Cavill is back

AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Henry Cavill is back Empty Henry Cavill is back

Post  AdamCollings October 18th 2022, 10:21 pm

So Henry Cavill is back as Superman.
    Including a cameo in an upcoming movie, and talks of a Man of Steel sequel.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/dc-movies-james-gunn-pithces-dwayne-johnson-1235243030/

And I honestly have no idea how I'm supposed to feel. I feel like my Superman-fan heart has been dragged through the gravel for so long that my emotions have become numb and non-functional.

On one hand, this is everything I've ever hoped for.
    But I can't help but fear that without the involvement of Zack Snyder, we're just gonna get more smiling brightly coloured Joss-Whedon-Superman. And I'd rather have no Superman than that.

I know that Zack doesn't have to be involved in order to get the kind of Superman I like. David S Goyer and Chris Terrio were just as instrumental in the creation of the Man of Steel Superman as Zack was. And new director/writers could still give us a similar tone.

But what if they don't do that?

Hendy wants Superman to grow beyond the place the character was in during MOS and BVS, and I'm okay with that. I like character growth and development. I just want the growth to be done right. I always said that MOS was Superman's starting point. I think Zach Snyder's Justice League gave us a good re-birth of a more optimistic, but still serious Superman. Hopefully it'll be along those lines.
    In any case, there is reason to hope. The new management of DC seem to be steering back toward my preferred direction. If they'll go as far as I want, only time will tell.

If I can't have what I really want (a full restoration of the Snyderverse and canonisation of ZSJL) then hopefully I can at least have something good.

But I'm now at a point where I have to give the DCEU another chance. I'll see Black Adam. And I'll hope.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Henry Cavill is back Empty Re: Henry Cavill is back

Post  AdamCollings October 19th 2022, 1:09 am

My last post might have come across more negative than I intended. I am genuinely happy that Henry is back.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter October 19th 2022, 5:26 pm

AdamCollings wrote:t I can't help but fear that without the involvement of Zack Snyder, we're just gonna get more smiling brightly coloured Joss-Whedon-Superman. And I'd rather have no Superman than that.

I think we have reason to hope that, even without Snyder, the DC movies will be allowed to retain some weight. Or at least some edge.

I saw an article title (though didn't read the article) mentioning that Black Adam had to put some work in to get it down to a PG-13 from an R, and the trailers have always suggested seriousness and dramatic weight to me.

And although not serious, the recent Suicide Squad movie had an R-rating that was well-earned. So I don't think WB is trying to do the family-film vibe for this universe like Disney is obviously doing these days for Marvel.

I also suspect that, after the experience with Whedon and the resulting backlash for his interpretation, those both in front of and behind the camera in those days (including Cavill) will be ready to push back against mandates to "keep things bright for the kiddies".

All that said, it will be interesting to see what happens after Hamada's exit!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings November 6th 2022, 5:41 pm

It's occured to me I need to get off my butt and actually watch "The Sucicide Squad".
    With James Gunn now co-head of DC Studios, I can't appropriatly say I don't like his approach with The Suicide Squad if I haven't actually seen it. I'm pretty sure, from what I've heard, that it's not going to be for me, but I have to give it a chance so I an have an informed opinion.

So here goes.

In other news, and this is all speculation at the moment, but there is a possibility that Stephen Speilburg and Christopher Nolan might be getting involed. Now that's two names I would easily trust with Man of Steel 2. I mean, the whole concept of Man of Steel came from Nolan in the first place (while he was working on the Dark Knight Trilogy). And speilburg .... well .... he's speilburg.

AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 835
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  AGoodReed November 7th 2022, 12:14 pm

I'd have been super excited about this news like a year ago. I'm just not into superhero stuff or any modern films or TV shows right now.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings November 7th 2022, 7:37 pm

Is there a particular reason for that, Reed?

What are you in to at the moment?
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Post  AGoodReed November 8th 2022, 12:02 pm

AdamCollings wrote:Is there a particular reason for that, Reed?

What are you in to at the moment?

Pro wrestling, but I feel bad about it. I don't even watch it much, I just read news about it constantly. Whenever I do watch it, I'm never satisfied with what I watch. It's like a drug that tempts you to take it, and all it does is make you want more of it, thinking that maybe the next one will give you what you're after.

I really want to immerse myself in spiritual stuff, but that takes so much thought that it doesn't help me relax in my limited free time. SO I usually go to the easy, mindless wrestling stuff.

I have been chatting back and forth with Winston "mindspike" Crutchfield about the current goings-on in WWE, and that's been enjoyable.

What I really want to be interested in is classic films and TV shows from the more "innocent" eras of entertainment. But I don't have the time to devote it. I also want to read more books by Christian teachers I respect. And I want to get my prayer life going again. But I should save all that for another post.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings November 15th 2022, 5:17 pm

That's really cool that you've been able to chat with Winston about it. There's definitely nothing wrong with a bit of easy mindless entertainment when you need to relax.

Also very cool that you have a hunger to grow in your spiritual life.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings December 14th 2022, 11:00 pm

...and he's out again.

Henry Cavill announced today on Instagram that he will not be returning to play Superman after all, following a meeting with James Gunn and Peter Safran, the new heads of DC Studios.

I think I'm truly done with DC movies at this point. They keep almost enticing me back and then kicking me in sensitive places.

James Gunn is clearly building a new universe. He is writing a movie that will focus on a younger Superman at an earlier time in his life.

I may watch The Flash as a farewell to the universe I loved (although probably not at the cinema) but It's pretty much over.
    I had a feeling it was over when they announced Gunn. He is probably the worst possible choice they could have made, for my personal taste.

At least I have now discovered comics. That'll be my DC from now on.

AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Post  AGoodReed December 15th 2022, 11:14 am

AdamCollings wrote:...and he's out again.

Henry Cavill announced today on Instagram that he will not be returning to play Superman after all, following a meeting with James Gunn and Peter Safran, the new heads of DC Studios.

I think I'm truly done with DC movies at this point. They keep almost enticing me back and then kicking me in sensitive places.

James Gunn is clearly building a new universe. He is writing a movie that will focus on a younger Superman at an earlier time in his life.

I may watch The Flash as a farewell to the universe I loved (although probably not at the cinema) but It's pretty much over.
    I had a feeling it was over when they announced Gunn. He is probably the worst possible choice they could have made, for my personal taste.

At least I have now discovered comics. That'll be my DC from now on.

As I think I mentioned earlier, I was probably already done with DC movies even if Cavill came back, but that's because I'm mostly done with current movies in general. Even so, I do agree that James Gunn doesn't seem like he'll make a movie universe I'd have been that interested in even a couple years ago (when superhero movies had my attention).

At the risk of beating a dead horse, there's just too much focus on intersectionality and virtue signaling in entertainment these days that I don't feel safe getting my hopes up about any upcoming movie, TV show, comic book, etc. (unless they seem like they'll intentionally avoid that stuff). I wait until it's out and a source I trust tells me if it's worth it or not.

Oh, yeah, I'm the one that posted the new animated Spider-Man movie trailer, aren't I? Well, I guess I'm holding out hope somewhere.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter December 15th 2022, 12:59 pm

AdamCollings wrote:...and he's out again.

Saw this in the news feed just before going to sleep last night. I definitely have some thoughts(and was collecting notes on them before seeing this post) but I will hold on to them until the CGC podcast ep that goes up the 23rd, which I'm about to record. (The ep for this week is already uploaded and awaiting auto-posting tomorrow. My schedule is bonkers!)

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 6th 2024, 8:25 pm