Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Roms and Emulators

Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Roms and Emulators Empty Roms and Emulators

Post  Rickster May 21st 2011, 6:16 pm

What are your thoughts of Downloading Roms and Emulators do you think it's stealing?
    Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

Roms and Emulators Empty Re: Roms and Emulators

Post  Hackmodford May 21st 2011, 7:10 pm

No... especially if I own the game in the first place...

And if you're VERY scared you can get one of these
    www.retrode.org

Now when it comes to current gen systems I don't do it... mostly because the games are HUGE there are no good emulators... etc.

But when it comes to old games I try to own the cart or if it's some obscure game I usually don't worry about it...

Just my thoughts Very Happy

Roms and Emulators UntoldAlliancesJPG1_Resized

Goozex: Trade Videogames and save money!
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike May 22nd 2011, 12:36 pm

Retrode???
    Freaking awesome!!!

As to the emulator thing...
    Legally:
    1. the hardware patents on many gaming systems have expired, but the code that runs them is still under copyright protection
    2. most emulators use original code written under the GNU, not the hardware's original code
    3. game code and graphics are subject to copyright protection, so that you are legally not allowed to distribute or own a copy of said intellectual property without the permission of the owner except when:
    -- a: ownership of the IP in any format allows the consumer to make copies of the product for personal use and archival purposes (CD to mp3, paperback to digital, etc)
    -- b: the product has been published along with a "copyleft" license such as Creative Commons or GNU
    -- c: the product is in the public domain

or most applicable to this situation

-- d: the publisher is unable to, or has chosen not to, enforce their ownership of IP

In the case of most NES, SNES, Genesis, and other older ROMS available for distribution online, the publishers have simply chosen not to enforce their IP rights. There are some cases (notably regarding Pokemon, Mario, Star Wars, and Mickey Mouse) where the publishers have aggressively pursued the distribution of their ROMS and shut them down. Some publishers, such as ID software, have actually republished the source code of their older games with a "copyleft" license.

My advice?
    1. If you own the cart, you're in the clear.
    2. Do your research regarding the enforcement status of the ROM.
    3. Let your conscience be your guide.

Don't forget that many of these emulators have a great deal of original software written by fans and published under GNU that *resembles* certain games without using the copyrighted graphics. Personally, I've used ROMS and emulators to play older games with nostalgic value whose cart I do not wish to hunt down and purchase. As for newer material, I'd rather just rent the game from time to time....

Happy gaming!

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter May 23rd 2011, 4:40 pm

Thanks for posting the legal stuff, Mindspike. A complex issue that I think your comments help us to navigate as Christians.

Thanks again!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 16th 2024, 8:29 am