Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Falling Skies, emotions, and philosophy?

litera9
    litera9

Activity : 48
    Geek-Cred : 0

Falling Skies, emotions, and philosophy? Empty Falling Skies, emotions, and philosophy?

Post  litera9 August 5th 2011, 8:35 am

I was late for getting on the Falling Skies train, but was wondering if anyone else has been tracking the series as well. I've enjoyed the unique post-apocalyptic elements,along with the emotional elements. In fact, it's made me start a new blog series at my latest project on science fiction and philosophy, Contemplating the Cosmos. But I also wanted to inquire into whether or not others have noticed the presence of philosophical, emotional, and even theological themes within the show. So, what are your thoughts?
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Falling Skies, emotions, and philosophy? Empty Re: Falling Skies, emotions, and philosophy?

Post  Paeter August 5th 2011, 6:51 pm

I haven't been following the show since the Pilot, but I'd LOVE to hear thoughts on this too! Might get me hooked back into the show!

www.spiritblade.com
    litera9
    litera9

Falling Skies, emotions, and philosophy? Empty Re: Falling Skies, emotions, and philosophy?

Post  litera9 August 5th 2011, 9:14 pm

What I've found in the show is what you originally described, a show with character, and a solid mythology. But what has engrossed me is the questions that can be asked about the mythology. For example, how do the harnesses affect the human will? How "human" are the skitters? Are they mindless killers, or do they have sympathy of some sort? The directors also emphasize the character relationships, and how conflicts, war, and chaos effects the human soul. These kind of questions, explorations, and ponderings have made me start writing and thinking about the show as I go through it. You can find my thoughts at contemplatingthecosmos.wordpress.com

I'm not fully caught up, but I am fairly close. I have to say that this may have been for me one of the best shows of the year.
    Drew.Rub
    Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Falling Skies, emotions, and philosophy? Empty Falling Skies

Post  Drew.Rub August 26th 2011, 7:37 pm

I must say, I think I've been enjoying the Falling Skies series since someone posted a link to it on Facebook prior to it's first airing.

From a technical standpoint, this is a solid show (meaning some barvy exec is gonna pull the plug on it real fast). Solid acting, good scripting, good sfx (enough, w/o being overdone, good chemistry in the acting circle, and great character development.

I hadn't thought on it much in regards to any philosophical meanings. However, I do look back on season one and see many questions the writers/produces may have (or may not have) asked:

In the light of population devestation (insert catastrophy here), what matters to us most?
    Under extreme circumstances, who are the people that are most meaningful to us? What will we do/sacrifice for them?
    When overwhelming forces are at our doorstep, will we change sides to save our skins, or hold onto what we believe in and fight for it?

I was very happy to have them introduce the one charater (I can't remember her name now) who has a discussion with the 2nd Mass leader about her faith. They then portray her having a prayer before a meal. For once it was nice to see the inclusion of a character of strong religous (in her case, Christian) faith w/o them being the crazy fanatic or off the wall screwball. They portrayed her Christian faith very respectful and with genuine appreciation (imho).

Looking forward to seeing if they green light season 2.
    litera9
    litera9

Post  litera9 August 26th 2011, 7:51 pm

They already did. Ever since the popularity of the first few episodes, they greenlit the next season.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 16th 2024, 5:04 am