Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

Going Mail Order

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Going Mail Order Empty Going Mail Order

Post  Paeter September 28th 2011, 6:53 pm

I just picked up my last weekly comics that I'll be buying in a comic store for possibly a VERY long time!

Still wondering what it will be like to go from the "Cheers" comic store experience (the guy I've been buying from this month since my old store closed JUST learned my name today, too!) to a computer monitor.

Haven't found any comics podcasts with good hosts that don't clock in at over 90 minutes per episode. So using podcasts to replace that weekly store "shop talk" may be a lost cause.

Also wondering how I'll handle the delay in when I get my comics. At minimum I'll get them 1-5 weeks later than comic store customers (depending what week of the month they come out) since I'm getting all my comics bundled in two shipment per month, with the possibility of reducing that to one shipment at the end of each month to save more money.

It will definitely take me out of the cutting edge "live" comics experience. But the only downside I can think of there would be that I'll be behind the curve if I talk about comics on my blog or podcast, making my comments potentially out of date. Otherwise the delay probably won't bother me.

Anyone else doing mail order comic subscriptions? What do you think of the experience and what service do you use?

www.spiritblade.com
    Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

Going Mail Order Empty Re: Going Mail Order

Post  Hackmodford September 29th 2011, 9:20 am

Digital... if I need a comic book... you can get DC content same day as print Smile

Going Mail Order UntoldAlliancesJPG1_Resized

Goozex: Trade Videogames and save money!
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter September 29th 2011, 8:57 pm

Hackmodford wrote:Digital... if I need a comic book... you can get DC content same day as print Smile

Very true! I'm still very curious to see if that strategy will leap them to the head of the industry or bite them in the butt.

'Fraid I can't go digital yet, though. Just like touching those pages too much. (Nerd alert!)

www.spiritblade.com
    Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  Hackmodford September 30th 2011, 9:10 am

Hey I understand... the one thing I absolutely love about digital is that you can view the comic like it's a slideshow... If I have a full page I find myself wandering around and it feels like I learn what happened before I should. So with the slideshow effect I get one pane at a time which just works better for me... It's almost... almost like a motion comic.

Going Mail Order UntoldAlliancesJPG1_Resized

Goozex: Trade Videogames and save money!
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter October 3rd 2011, 6:04 pm

Hackmodford wrote:It's almost... almost like a motion comic.

That's probably what I'm most interested in seeing with digital comics. How they can specifically use the medium to tell stories in a way that CAN'T be done on the frozen page. If done well, that could possibly get me to digital comics sooner.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 15th 2024, 10:42 pm