Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

Flashpoint

Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Flashpoint Empty Flashpoint

Post  Nathan James Norman February 9th 2012, 11:44 pm

I’m curious if anyone else read the FLASHPOINT series that re-launched the DC Universe back in May – August 2011.

Back when it was on the stands I only read the main series and the one-shot “Grodd of War”. I was somewhat interested in reading the other titles (mostly 3-part mini series), but after the endless Blackest Night series I was highly reluctant to get too deeply involved in an alternative universe that would soon be gone.

So last week Comixology had a 0.99 sale on all the Flashpoint titles. I did a little research and decided to give the alterniverse another try. I started with “Emperor Aquaman” and “Wonder Woman and the Furies” then I expanded my horizons.

I didn’t buy everything, but if there’s ever another 0.99 sale I may go ahead and purchase some of the ones I passed by (due to low reviews).

So . . . if you see some sales at your local shop, or through comixology, here’s my thoughts and recommendations.

FLASHPOINT #1 - #5
    Sometimes events move too quickly in this series, and other times they slow down a bit too much. But the series paints a compelling reality with familiar and not-so-familiar faces. Without giving away any spoilers, the last issue had me in tears . . . twice. There’s some really good moments for Barry Allen and Batman!
    4/5 Stars

BATMAN: KNIGHT OF VENGENCE #1- #3
    I don’t want to give away anything here. But if you’re familiar with the Flashpoint universe, you know about Batman’s alternative story. And this mini-series is really cool. I wish we could see more of this alternative-Batman!
    4.5/5 Stars

GRODD OF WAR (One Shot)
    Word on the street is that talking-animal comics are Paeter’s favorite! But even if talking animal’s aren’t your thing, you need to check this one-shot out. It is shocking and brutal . . . but so well written that I wish it would have been a longer series!
    4.4/5 Stars

EMPEROR AQUAMAN #1 - #3
    If you just read the main Flashpoint books, Aquaman seems like a rather sadistic fellow. But if you read this mini . . . well he’s still rather messed up, but at least you get to see how he went from a nice guy to the warlord we see. (Should be read in conjunction with WONDER WOMAN AND THE FURIES).
    4.3/5 Stars
    WONDER WOMAN AND THE FURIES #1 - #3
    Just like Aquaman, this series is a great look at how Dianna went from a woman of peace to an Amazon of war! (Should be read in conjunction with EMPEROR AQUAMAN).
    4/5 Stars

THE OUTSIDER #1 - #3
    Do you remember the Outsider anti-hero from India? No? Me neither. But apparently he was a character in DC Comics somewhere. And in this universe he’s a conniving amoral business man with superpowers. This was a great character story.
    4/5 Stars

BOOSTER GOLD #44 - #47
    This was the only ongoing series that tied-in with Flashpoint. It’s also the end of Booster’s series. Well-written, but a little lop-sided in the character portrayals, this gave us a nice look at the alterniverse.
    3.9/5 Stars

PROJECT SUPERMAN #1 - #3
    There’s not as much Kal-el as you’d expect in this series. The first issue focuses on a pretty much made-up character, but I think the characterizations pay off in the long-run. There were some heart-wrenching and uncomfortable moments here as we see Kal locked away from the yellow sun and treated like a lab-rat. This was another great character piece and had some awesome art work! (Read in conjunction with LOIS LANE AND THE RESISTENCE . . . but be sure to read LL #3 before PS #3).
    3.5/5 Stars

FRANENSTEIN AND THE CREATURES OF THE UNKNOWN #1 - #3
    A really fun book, that had very little to do with the Flashpoint series. Very little . . . but still fun.
    3.2/5 Stars

LOIS LANE AND THE RESISTENCE #1 - #3
    This book was okay, but a little unfocused. It wasn’t really about Lois, nor the resistance in London. Required reading, though, if you want to delve into PROJECT SUPERMAN. Also, Grifter struck a few cool poses! (Read in conjunction with PROJECT SUPES but be sure to read LL #3 before PS #3)
    3/5 Stars

The thing I liked about this series was that it was self contained, which meant there’s no ongoing stories. It was also VERY interconnected. Some of the writing was better in other series, but in general the various stories all worked together to build a really fun world filled with memorable characters.

(I think next volley I’ll have to look into Green Arrow Industries, Abin Sur, Hal Jordan, and Legion of Doom).

Anyone else read these books? Or the others? Thoughts?
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Flashpoint Empty Re: Flashpoint

Post  Nathan James Norman February 10th 2012, 1:00 am

Oh . . . And I love Element Woman. Its a shame we didn't get a miniseries, or a one shot of this great (and pivitol) character.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter February 11th 2012, 1:48 am

Who wrote Grodd Of War? Geoff Johns is the only one who's ever been able to make that character (or any talking animal) work for me.

I read and enjoyed the main Flashpoint books and thought it made a great Flash story. I didn't get into any of the others once I realized that this event was not the promised "New 52" coming up but was instead just another "Elseworlds" type reality we'd never see again. However, your point about some of them being good on there own terms as self-contained stories has opened my mind to them a bit.

Thanks for the info!

www.spiritblade.com
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Post  Nathan James Norman February 11th 2012, 9:14 am

Paeter wrote:Who wrote Grodd Of War?

Some guy named "Sean Ryan". Apparently he's a tv show writer.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 29th 2024, 10:16 am