Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Easter Plans?

Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Easter Plans? Empty Easter Plans?

Post  Nathan James Norman April 4th 2012, 12:58 pm

Hey everyone!

I was just wondering what are your plans and traditions for the upcoming Easter season? Feel free to share anything from egg hunts to church services.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Easter Plans? Empty Re: Easter Plans?

Post  Paeter April 4th 2012, 6:34 pm

I've been planning to start a tradition of making a mammoth breakfast with pancakes, eggs, potatoes o'brian, bacon, french toast and a Danish breakfast cake (sort of like balls of pancake) called ebil skeever, which you need a special pan and some serious patience to make.

The reason for the idea is partially because our church staff requests that regular attenders come to the "uber early" and noon services, since visitors gravitate toward the two middle services. (We will NOT be attending the uber early service...)

However, it's looking like the mammoth breakfast might not happen this year because of some service commitments Holly has in the morning at church, and we also have a big lunch happening at my parents house in the early afternoon.

We'll see, though!

www.spiritblade.com
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington April 7th 2012, 1:00 am

Every year our Church has an Easter breakfast (it used to be a pancake breakfast, but now it is more like a potluck breakfast though I think I am going to try to convince everyone that a pancake breakfast is needed for Easter Surprised ). Most years we go to my Aunt and Uncle's house for lunch but this year things are turning out differently. The plan is after Church maybe going to Baskin Robins with some family and get some ice cream. Then head over to our house and have a weenie-roast with hotdogs and s'mores and all that good stuff! Should be a good time! cheers
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Post  Nathan James Norman April 15th 2012, 10:31 pm

That's great guys!

I hope you had a great Easter.

I was asking because in my vocation, I've found that many of my traditions have dramatically shifted.

The biggest one for me now is doing massive amounts of exegetical, and homiletical research for a first-person sermon. Towards the end of my preparation, I have to build up all the details of my character and this year I felt like I was building a Dungeons and Dragons character sheet. I thought that was rather funny/ironic.

Anyhow, I guess my tradition has turned into becoming a character from the crucifixion/resurrection story in sermon form.

This year I was Barabbas.
    (Audio http://orchardchurch.blogspot.com/2012/04/cross-of-barabbas-matthew-2715-26.html)

My poor family Smile
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy April 16th 2012, 10:29 am

Enjoyed the sermon, Nathan. "That was my cross!" Very moving! Thanks, bud.

One thing that I try to do every year around Easter is watch the movie The Passion. I don't make it every year, and didn't this year. I have some problems with the movie; but, regardless, I appreciate it as a visual reminder of just an inkling of what Christ went through for you and me.

Alliance Member

Post  Nathan James Norman April 16th 2012, 12:31 pm

WhiteBoy wrote:Enjoyed the sermon, Nathan. "That was my cross!" Very moving! Thanks, bud.

One thing that I try to do every year around Easter is watch the movie The Passion. I don't make it every year, and didn't this year. I have some problems with the movie; but, regardless, I appreciate it as a visual reminder of just an inkling of what Christ went through for you and me.

Thanks White Boy! I appreciate the encouragement.

I agree with you on the Passion movie. It's very good, even with some of the "weirdness". From what I understand it follows the traditional Roman Catholic stations of the cross, of which only 8 of the 14 stations have clear biblical reference. (Pope John Paul II released the Scriptural Stations a number of years ago, which all have biblical references). Still, I think the film is a powerful narrative.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 7th 2024, 11:36 am