Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

5 posters

"Happy Birthday David" -- promo video for Prometheus

BenAvery
    BenAvery

Activity : 322
    Geek-Cred : 16

"Happy Birthday David" -- promo video for Prometheus Empty "Happy Birthday David" -- promo video for Prometheus

Post  BenAvery April 17th 2012, 7:56 pm

Posted this in Fans for Christ's forums -- not sure how much crossover there is between here and there, but thought people here might find it interesting as well.

Go. Watch this. Unless you want to be completely pure when you see Prometheus, check out this video, a faux-commercial for a product in the movie's universe which serves as a REAL commercial for the movie in our REAL universe AND serves as a short sci-fi film!

http://strangersandaliens.com/2012/04/video-happy-birthday-david-prometheus-promo/

I find it very, very interesting. Tonally, I do not expect the movie to feel like this short video, which is why I find it even more interesting. It's barely three minutes (I think) but it gets into some interesting sci-fi concepts -- artificial intelligence and artificial emotion and "robots" taking over the workforce and . . . well, other stuff -- and it does it very well, allowing the actor, script, settings, and cinematography to work together.

To be honest, I didn't bother to watch the fake TED video they put out to promote the movie, and after I watched this I watched the TED thing. The TED thing did nothing for me. This does. I want to see the character in action.

Any thoughts?

~ Ben
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

"Happy Birthday David" -- promo video for Prometheus Empty Re: "Happy Birthday David" -- promo video for Prometheus

Post  Paeter April 17th 2012, 10:57 pm

Very interesting. Can't WAIT for Prometheus.

AI always provides fertile ground for discussion of human nature. Usually science fiction goes the "Star Trek's Data" or "Short Circuit" route, where a lightning bolt here or a special chip there can create real emotion and self-awareness. The implication, intentional or not, is that humans are nothing more than "meat-machines", with no intangible (spiritual) nature, since there defining characteristics can be reproduced exclusively in the physical realm.

Although sometimes sci-fi supports a non-naturalistic view. Such as the recent Battlestar Galactica (in which the Cylons are made by humans but implanted with souls by "God") or Terminator: Salvation (and the Sarah Connor Chronicles, R.I.P.) which argue for the idea that machines, no matter how intelligent, cannot gain true self-awareness.

Course now I'm in danger of hijacking a thread in the "Fan Zone" with comments that fit better in the "Seeking Truth" forum. So I'll just sum up by saying the video was really thought provoking, well produced and performed, and I am peeing my pants to see this movie.

www.spiritblade.com
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

"Happy Birthday David" -- promo video for Prometheus Empty Re: "Happy Birthday David" -- promo video for Prometheus

Post  WhiteBoy April 18th 2012, 10:12 am

Excellent video... thanks for sharing. That video actually makes me want to see the movie more than the trailer did. Smile

Activity : 388
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  cleireac April 18th 2012, 12:58 pm

Paeter wrote:Very interesting. Can't WAIT for Prometheus.

Course now I'm in danger of hijacking a thread in the "Fan Zone" with comments that fit better in the "Seeking Truth" forum.

Paeter, I really wish you would write something up in the "Seeking Truth" forum on this subject, as it directly relates to my Max Headroom posts....
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter April 18th 2012, 2:16 pm

cleireac wrote:

Paeter, I really wish you would write something up in the "Seeking Truth" forum on this subject, as it directly relates to my Max Headroom posts....

Not sure what all I'd have to say, but I'll gladly start the conversation there and see what happens!

www.spiritblade.com

Post  Guest April 25th 2012, 4:26 pm

For some reason this little goody doesn't play on any of the websites I've visited; it's been pulled from them all or just won't play.

I've been so enthusiastic about this project, even after Ridley Scott overturned Alien fans' expectations by announcing that the movie wasn't going to be a prequel (we'll see). The writer's statements about the creative process of developing the story sound very promising.

The movie is intriguing to me, Alien connection or not. I've been considering doing a series of retrospective mini-essays, exploring the ideas that the Alien films focuses on: the nature of what is human and what is alien, technology, the cycle of life, AI, and so forth; and consideration of what themes Prometheus will be informed by.
    BenAvery
    BenAvery

Post  BenAvery April 25th 2012, 4:28 pm

Yes, it seems the video I linked to was not official -- and has been blocked by the studio.

I'll see if I can find the official video, because I can't imagine that they would create a viral video and not let people link to it . . .
    BenAvery
    BenAvery

Post  BenAvery April 25th 2012, 4:36 pm

Okay, I've updated the post with the Youtube video from the official Prometheus site.

http://strangersandaliens.com/2012/04/video-happy-birthday-david-prometheus-promo/

Interested in seeing what you think. I love this as a 2 minute sci-fi short film.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter April 25th 2012, 6:50 pm

Desert Kris wrote: I've been considering doing a series of retrospective mini-essays, exploring the ideas that the Alien films focuses on: the nature of what is human and what is alien, technology, the cycle of life, AI, and so forth; and consideration of what themes Prometheus will be informed by.

Kris, if you decide to write any of those mini-essays, I'd LOVE to use them on the podcast if you're willing!

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338

Post  Rickster April 25th 2012, 7:44 pm

It's sad but I've never seen any of the Alien movies.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 29th 2024, 7:33 am