Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Doing what feels right

Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Doing what feels right Empty Doing what feels right

Post  Rickster July 20th 2012, 8:54 pm

I know Paeter hates hearing "Do what feels right" in movies but how do know what we feel is right isn't the Holy Spirit leading us?
    I feel like writting my friend Dan who is in jail for the murder of 2 people was the right thing to do. But when I tell people about it they don't understand why I do it and it's because I feel like that is what God wants me to do.
    Can someone please explain what the diffrence is?
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Doing what feels right Empty Re: Doing what feels right

Post  WhiteBoy July 22nd 2012, 7:24 pm

I don't think that because something feels right (or feels good) it's necessarily wrong. I don't intend to speak for Paeter here, but I think his intention is that just because something may feel right doesn't make it right. Our flesh and hearts are easily deceived. Our measure of what is right is God's Word, not how it makes us feel.

So in the case of your writing to your friend, I would think that if your motivations are right, it is right because you're showing love to him. It's a Godly, unconditional love... not based on what he's done or hasn't done. But you're showing that he has value even when most of society will treat him as an outcast. Jesus reached out to those who were societal outcasts and showed them love as well.

Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter July 23rd 2012, 9:04 pm

WhiteBoy wrote: I don't intend to speak for Paeter here, but I think his intention is that just because something may feel right doesn't make it right. Our flesh and hearts are easily deceived. Our measure of what is right is God's Word, not how it makes us feel.

Actually, you took the words right out of my mouth. ;-)

Strictly speaking, it's not even wrong to "follow our hearts". But to do so safely I think we should ensure that our hearts are following the will of God and his principles of living as expressed in scripture.

So there has to be an engaging of the mind that shapes what our hearts value and desire to do. We have to "train our hearts" to lead us well. Without that, the Holy Spirit can still speak to us and use us, but so can our flesh and the servants of evil. And trusting that we can tell the difference without putting those internal feelings and thoughts through the filter of scripture, is a very risky way to live and make decisions, I think.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 7th 2024, 5:17 pm