Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Question for the Lord of the Rings fans

Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Question for the Lord of the Rings fans Empty Question for the Lord of the Rings fans

Post  Rickster December 24th 2012, 6:35 pm

At the end of Return of the King Frodo gives Sam the book that has There and Back Again and the Lord of the Rings and then says something like there room for more implying that Sam has a story to tell. what is Sam's story? and do you Peter Jackson will make a trilogy of it also?

Question for the Lord of the Rings fans Empty Re: Question for the Lord of the Rings fans

Post  Guest December 24th 2012, 10:56 pm

There isn't really an adventure for Sam, after all that happened in LotR, which was Sam's adventure. Frodo is, to a certain extent, dead and detached from Middle-Earth. I haven't exactly given thought to when this happens, but he had enough energy to write out the story of his journey and put his affairs in order. Maybe Sam contributed Merry and Pippin's separate paths in the story. The last chapter, The Grey Haven's, is Sam's contribution I would think, the journey to the Elven harbor, Frodo's goodbye, and Sam's return home. But Sam was subjects to some part of Frodo's ordeal, he is briefly the legitimate Ring-Bearer of The One Ring. Frodo says that he (Sam) cannot always be torn in two, and will have to live life as if he is one and whole (I assume in spirit and resolve).

Sam kind of becomes what Frodo would have been, if Frodo hadn't been so damaged by the Ringwraiths blade, Shelob's poison, and the Ring's corrosion of joy and spirit. The movie really conveys well the sense that Frodo never really returned from his journey, he was a corporeal ghost of his old self, lost in a devastating, haunting melancholy. Frodo surrenders Sting to him, and Sam moves into Bag End with Rose Cotton and his family.

Christopher Tolkien published quite a bit of his father's additional writing, including some alternative versions of the ending, and (I think) there were two versions of an Epilogue which JRR Tolkien eventually chose not to use. The larger details are consistent, IIRC, but the smaller details like the dialogue plays out differently. I don't have access to the book, it's in storage right now.

The appendices in the back of RotK have chronologies which detail what the remains of the Fellowship do post-LotR. Sam served as a Mayor of the Shire for quite a long time, had a large family. He and his wife had a long and happy life, but after she died, it was time for him to go to the Elvish harbor and sail across the sea, as the last of the Ring-Bearers, presumably with an echo of the terrible melancholy that Frodo "died" from, and needed the purity of the land beyond the sea; as Gandalf describes, "White shores, and beyond, a far green country beneath a swift sunrise..." Sam handed the Red Book over to his beloved daughter, Eleanor, named after the Elven flower that was dearest to his heart, and reminded him that the Elves were the part of his journey he was most taken with.

I think the simplest answer is Sam wrote the last chapter (and the Epilogues that were not included). Frodo says to Sam, "There's room for little more," a concluding chapter (and an Epilogue, or not). Tolkien wrote a couple of pages of a start for a follow up story, but it's focus was far away from Sam in terms of time and place. Not nearly enough to tap into for a trilogy (and The Hobbit adaptation gets a raised eyebrow out of me; but the first movie worked okay and could have been much worse).

The other major items that PJ could tap into for adaptation might be some material heavily adapted from The Silmarillion and related material; the major narratives are the story of Beren and Luthien, and The Children of Hurin, and maybe some streamlined version of the War over the Silmarils between the Elves and the first Dark Lord, Morgoth.

Current date/time is May 18th 2024, 10:56 pm