Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+2
DNArington
Paeter
6 posters

Your Favorite Free Geeky Smart Phone Apps

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Your Favorite Free Geeky Smart Phone Apps  Empty Your Favorite Free Geeky Smart Phone Apps

Post  Paeter April 26th 2013, 12:31 pm

In early July I plan to do a Summer Of Free segment featuring free smartphone games and apps. I've got a handful that I've discovered on the iphone, but I could always use more suggestions, ESPECIALLY for other kinds of smartphones.

The criteria are that the app must be free and useable from beginning to end, with little or no temptation involved to spend money on upgrades or additional content. (The option to spend money may exist, but the app should not require spending money in order to be fully enjoyed.)

Apps can be games or functional apps, but in either case should have an arguably geeky theme. (So a modern farming game, or a game about running a burger joint is out, but a medieval or fantasy farming game or a jogging app that has you running from zombies is cool.)

The Apps should also have an established history of being free, rather than being free for just a few weeks. (If possible I'd like featured apps to still be free even months later when listeners are catching up on podcast episodes.)

So if you have one or more free favorites within those guidelines, I'd love to get the info on them here!

I'll need the name of the app, the kind of phone it can be played/used on (and where to get it if appropriate), a brief description of what the app/game is and why you think it's cool.

Deadline is June 25th.

Thanks!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Your Favorite Free Geeky Smart Phone Apps  Empty Re: Your Favorite Free Geeky Smart Phone Apps

Post  Paeter May 22nd 2013, 5:54 pm

Just wanted to refresh this topic, since the deadline is now only about 4 weeks away!
    I know at least a few of you must be burning away dull moments here and there with some kind of free, geeky smart phone fun! Share the wealth! Tell us about it here so I can tell everyone else about it on the show!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Your Favorite Free Geeky Smart Phone Apps  Empty Re: Your Favorite Free Geeky Smart Phone Apps

Post  Paeter June 17th 2013, 10:40 pm

I'm pushing the deadline just a tiny bit and extending it to June 27th. (That's a week from this Thursday!)
    So turn on your phone and post the names of the free games/apps with geek appeal you have and why you think they're cool!
    I've got a few but I'm hoping for a lot more to share in this Summer Of Free segment!

Thanks!

www.spiritblade.com
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington June 18th 2013, 1:15 am

I got a couple:

Stylish Sprint is a fairly basic leap from platform to platform game, but it is raised up a level for me, because of all the bonus you can get while running, for example: unlimited flying, super-speed and such. Each level has a different goal and a different reward, for example: collect 200 coins, get a new pair of faster shoes This and the change of environments every few levels keeps it varied enough to keep me playing.

Carnivores: Ice Age   &
    Carnivores: Dinosaur Hunter
     I wasn't planning on mentioning any "lite versions" of any games, but this lite version is worth it. You hunt a variety of creatures with a selection of weapons. It is fun tracing animals down and it can be pretty intense trying to gun them down before they get to you! Since this is the free version, you don't have all the weapons or animals that you have in the full version, but it was enough to hold me over until the Pro version became free for a limited time.
    CreatorsPixels
    CreatorsPixels

Activity : 236
    Geek-Cred : 8

Post  CreatorsPixels June 18th 2013, 8:06 am

Well here is a few of what I have....  (note these were all free when I downloaded, hopefully they still are!!!)

This one was free (I never pay for apps, just wait for them to go free) but looks like there is a 'lite' free version.  But if you started gaming on one of the first 1st person 3d shooters, you'll recall Wolfenstein 3d!!!  Yep, you can play it on your iPad for nostagics sake!

There is an interesting side scroller called "Papercut" for the iphone that my kids enjoy, pretty sure its free.

I recently found a free utility called "USB Flash Drive" that let you transfer between devices running it on wifi or bluetooth so kinda handy if you have multiple devices expecially w/o data plans!!

"GoSkyWatch" a planetarium for iPad is pretty cool!  you can take your device outside and it will align to the stars in your area (somewhat close) and then you basically hold it up like your looking through it and the center marker will show you what your looking at!  Great for identification of the constellations and such!!  Not sure why my kids think they can point at any random star and I should know its name!?!

"JetPack Joyride" another decent side scroller.  Kids enjoy it so must not be too bad!  You can buy coins but I never have.  Nice graphics and lots of ways to change up the gameplay.  Your basically in some research facility flying around on a jetpack collecting coins and knocking over scientists while giant lasers and high voltage couplers try to fry you.   You can get numerous power ups for you jetpack.

"Convert Units Free HD" Looks like a calculator to input values.  You have a dial on the left for your starting unit and a dial on the right for the converted unit.  In the center you get a drop down of types of units (angle, currency, energy, length, temp, vol, time....)  over all a very handy tool!  I've used volume ALOT, never could convert oz to liters or quarts to cups!!

And one last one.  If you want a great Christian radio station online, try "RadioU"!  Great listener supported commercial free station that plays all the current heavy metal, punk, rock, hiphop.....  Even has an alarm clock feature to come on at a set time.  The morning show in particular is geek friendly and often has video game reviews / trials and they often talk about the latest geek news(E3 announcements, new games...)

Anyway, thats some of what I've got on mine!
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter June 18th 2013, 5:16 pm

Thanks, guys!

CreatorsPixels, are those all i-phone apps?

DNArington, what smart phone are you using those apps on?

Thanks!

www.spiritblade.com
    CreatorsPixels
    CreatorsPixels

Activity : 236
    Geek-Cred : 8

Post  CreatorsPixels June 18th 2013, 10:27 pm

Well it looks like all mine are for iPad and iPhone.  Only problem is it looks like the GoSkyWatch its wanting to charge $3.99 now, so maybe I got that on one of those limited free deals.  Sorry.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter June 19th 2013, 5:32 pm

No worries. Glad you posted that, though. That reminds me I need to make sure the games I picked are still free. Thanks!

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster June 19th 2013, 8:54 pm

I don't know if they count as geeky but
    1. Green planet (an E.T. gardening game)
    2. Fix it Felix jr. (the game featured in Wreak it Ralph
    3. Temple Run
    4. Where's my water/Perry (They have a free version with a couple levels and a full version that you have to pay for)
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington June 20th 2013, 12:30 am

I am using a 4th gen iPod Touch.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter June 20th 2013, 4:04 pm

Thanks DNArington!

Rickster, can you give me one sentence for each of those games saying why you think they're cool? And what smart phone have you played those games on?

www.spiritblade.com
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate June 23rd 2013, 6:44 pm

I wanted to jot down a few, but after double checking it turns out they're not free anymore (they were though, for a couple of years!) Crying or Very sad

So I can leave no more than a tip for iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad users: keep an eye out for sales in iTunes, for instance by searching the store for game publishers. For instance, if you type Gameloft, or IE etc. all games by that publisher appear, and you can easily ferret out the ones that are on sale.
    Or, if you already know the titles, get one of several free price watcher apps and create a list of games (and other apps) that you want to buy as soon as they're on sale or even for free; such an app will give you a push notification when that happens.
    (One way of discovering new titles to put on your price watch list is of course trying out the free lite versions.)
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster June 24th 2013, 3:53 am

well first off I should all games are fun 

1. Green planet (an E.T. gardening game)
    I like that it features the plot and characters from the long gone E.T. Ride 
    2. Fix it Felix jr. (the game featured in Wreak it Ralph
    cool to actually play the fictious game that the movie was suppose to be based on.
    3. Temple Run
    It's simple to learn and really hard to put down. I always promise my self this is my last time playing and after I die I start a new game almost with out thinking
    4. Where's my water/Perry (They have a free version with a couple levels and a full version that you have to pay for)
    Both games have challenging but not impossible puzzles and Where's my Perry has that humor Phines and Ferb is known for. (I don't know if these games qualify since you have to pay to enjoy the entire game)

Since I posted this I learned Disney has released a third Where's my.. game called Where's my Mickey but as of now there isn't a free version.

I have all 4 on my iPad but I've also played Temple Run and Where's my... games on my Droid phone, Nook and can be downloaded on anything that has Google play store 
    ProfessorAlan
    ProfessorAlan

Activity : 115
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  ProfessorAlan July 5th 2013, 2:16 pm

CreatorsPixels wrote:And one last one.  If you want a great Christian radio station online, try "RadioU"!  Great listener supported commercial free station that plays all the current heavy metal, punk, rock, hiphop.....  Even has an alarm clock feature to come on at a set time.  The morning show in particular is geek friendly and often has video game reviews / trials and they often talk about the latest geek news(E3 announcements, new games...)

Totally agree! The main RadioU station is in my town, so I usually listen "old-school" on a clock-radio or in the car, but I use the app to listen when I am out of range. Excellent modern Christian music (usually of the louder rockier variety) and a terrific morning show, with (as was said above) a healthy does of geek stuff.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 14th 2024, 5:54 pm