Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Naif Al-Mutawa: Superheroes inspired by Islam

Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

Naif Al-Mutawa: Superheroes inspired by Islam Empty Naif Al-Mutawa: Superheroes inspired by Islam

Post  Hackmodford July 21st 2010, 5:00 pm

I thought this was very interesting...
    http://www.ted.com/talks/naif_al_mutawa_superheroes_inspired_by_islam.html

Naif Al-Mutawa: Superheroes inspired by Islam UntoldAlliancesJPG1_Resized

Goozex: Trade Videogames and save money!
    vagabond
    vagabond

Activity : 40
    Geek-Cred : 0

Naif Al-Mutawa: Superheroes inspired by Islam Empty Re: Naif Al-Mutawa: Superheroes inspired by Islam

Post  vagabond July 24th 2010, 4:08 pm

Very interesting. I don’t know too much about comic books; Do a lot of the origin stories really show obvious influence from the Bible as he asserts? I wonder if DC would be as willing to do this sort of a cross-over with a franchise that was consciously Christian today.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Naif Al-Mutawa: Superheroes inspired by Islam Empty Re: Naif Al-Mutawa: Superheroes inspired by Islam

Post  Paeter July 26th 2010, 6:42 pm

vagabond wrote:Very interesting. I don’t know too much about comic books; Do a lot of the origin stories really show obvious influence from the Bible as he asserts? I wonder if DC would be as willing to do this sort of a cross-over with a franchise that was consciously Christian today.

Can't speak in broad terms, but I know Superman was inspired by the story of Moses. Basket = rocket. Nile= space. Egyptians killing babies= Krypton exploding, etc.

In modern hands he's become a Christ figure. Especially since his "death" and resurrection.

www.spiritblade.com
    vagabond
    vagabond

Post  vagabond July 28th 2010, 8:23 pm

Paeter wrote:
    Can't speak in broad terms, but I know Superman was inspired by the story of Moses. Basket = rocket. Nile= space. Egyptians killing babies= Krypton exploding, etc.

In modern hands he's become a Christ figure. Especially since his "death" and resurrection.

Awesome. Superman: Doomsday is in my netflix queue.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter July 29th 2010, 11:31 am

vagabond wrote:
    Paeter wrote:

Awesome. Superman: Doomsday is in my netflix queue.

If you haven't seen it yet, be forewarned that it severely departs from the comic book story. I own it but didn't care for it so much. (Though lately I've been thinking of giving it another try.) But the documentary that comes with it is worth the full purchase price! It's all about what went on behind the scenes at DC comics that brought about the Death of Superman story in the 90's. Great stuff!

www.spiritblade.com
    vagabond
    vagabond

Post  vagabond July 30th 2010, 8:39 pm

Paeter wrote:
    If you haven't seen it yet, be forewarned that it severely departs from the comic book story. I own it but didn't care for it so much. (Though lately I've been thinking of giving it another try.) But the documentary that comes with it is worth the full purchase price! It's all about what went on behind the scenes at DC comics that brought about the Death of Superman story in the 90's. Great stuff!

I haven't read the comic book story, so that shouldn't bother me too much, unless it should have been much cooler than it was. I won't get to see the cool documentary because I'm going to be viewing it streaming on netflix instead of getting the DVD sent to me. Sounds interesting though

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 15th 2024, 5:23 pm