Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+5
Hackmodford
Tim
ProfessorAlan
UKSteve
vagabond
9 posters

Greetings

vagabond
    vagabond

Activity : 40
    Geek-Cred : 0

Greetings Empty Greetings

Post  vagabond July 24th 2010, 3:11 pm

Woohoo!!! A Spiritblade forum! YEAHHH!!!!

Hey everyone, my name is Jerry. I’m a Christian, and also a geek. What were the odds of that? affraid I think this forum should be a fun place. A group of Christian geeks just about has to be an eclectic bunch. I know there’ll be some great conversations to read here.

Cheers!
    Jerry
    UKSteve
    UKSteve

Activity : 354
    Geek-Cred : 10

Greetings Empty Re: Greetings

Post  UKSteve July 24th 2010, 4:56 pm

Jerry, welcome aboard! I'm sure you'll find this place to be eclectic, geeky and fun Smile
    ProfessorAlan
    ProfessorAlan

Activity : 115
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  ProfessorAlan July 25th 2010, 7:57 am

hello & welcome
    Tim
    Tim

Activity : 258
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  Tim July 25th 2010, 10:03 am

Welcome to the party, Jerry!

><> ><> ><> <>< ><> ><>
    Be BOLD

PS 144:1
    1COR 4:20

><>
    Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  Hackmodford July 25th 2010, 11:13 am

Howdy! How did you find out about the spiritblade forum?

Greetings UntoldAlliancesJPG1_Resized

Goozex: Trade Videogames and save money!
    hvymtlcowboy
    hvymtlcowboy
    Alliance Member

Activity : 125

Post  hvymtlcowboy July 25th 2010, 1:42 pm

Well met! Theres always room for more! cheers
    vagabond
    vagabond

Post  vagabond July 25th 2010, 3:01 pm

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Hackmodford wrote:Howdy! How did you find out about the spiritblade forum?

From the ever cool spiritblade podcast!
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy July 26th 2010, 10:57 am

Welcome! Pull up a keyboard and have some fun!

Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Post  Hackmodford July 26th 2010, 10:59 am

And don't forget yer avatar! Wink

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter July 26th 2010, 6:39 pm

Welcome, Vagabond!

So what do you like to Geek out over these days?

www.spiritblade.com
    vagabond
    vagabond

Post  vagabond July 27th 2010, 10:15 pm

Paeter wrote:Welcome, Vagabond!

Twilight, Pokemon, and The Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers!!!!! Just Kidding!

It’s the usual stuff: Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Stargate, etc. I love the old super hero cartoons (from back when they actually tried to make them good) and super hero movies. Strangely I’ve almost never read an actual comic book. I play a lot of video games on the PC although for some reason I tend to end up playing a lot of old obscure second-rate titles that no else has heard of. Love the old NES and Atari games too; they set me firmly on the path to geekdom at a young age.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter July 28th 2010, 2:30 pm

vagabond wrote:
    Paeter wrote:Welcome, Vagabond!

Twilight, Pokemon, and The Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers!!!!! Just Kidding!

It’s the usual stuff: Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Stargate, etc. I love the old super hero cartoons (from back when they actually tried to make them good) and super hero movies. Strangely I’ve almost never read an actual comic book. I play a lot of video games on the PC although for some reason I tend to end up playing a lot of old obscure second-rate titles that no else has heard of. Love the old NES and Atari games too; they set me firmly on the path to geekdom at a young age.

I may not understand the appeal, but Twilight fans are certainly welcome here. I just may not know what to talk about. Wink

Ever seen Condorman? That's a seriously old-school superhero movie that I was obsessed with growing up.

What did you think of the animated DC stuff from the last 10-15 years, like the Justice League cartoon?

www.spiritblade.com
    vagabond
    vagabond

Post  vagabond July 28th 2010, 8:14 pm

Paeter wrote:
    I may not understand the appeal, but Twilight fans are certainly welcome here. I just may not know what to talk about. Wink

Ever seen Condorman? That's a seriously old-school superhero movie that I was obsessed with growing up.

What did you think of the animated DC stuff from the last 10-15 years, like the Justice League cartoon?

Ah I wasn’t really hatin’ on Twilight fans. I wouldn’t consider anyone a lesser person for liking it, although I might subject them to a little good natured teasing if I knew they would take it well Wink And if I in turn got harassed for being a Trekkie, well that would only be fair!

I have never seen Condorman. Is it a must-see? If so I might have to netflix it at some point. Probably the best older super hero movie that I got into was The Rocketeer. I don’t know if people thought of that as a comic book movie, but it pretty much was. I haven’t seen the Justice League cartoon, was it good? Not all of the newer stuff is bad; I’ve seen some great animated TV movies like Batman and Mr. Freeze: Subzero, and what I saw of The Spectacular Spiderman was good, even though the way the characters were drawn irritated me a bit. I enjoyed some of Batman Beyond as well. But I have to say that cartoons as a whole have gone downhill. I found stuff like X-Men Evolution and Static Shock unbearable to watch. But then I’m not exactly a part of the target demographic anymore, so I maybe I’m just getting old and should shut up about it!
    Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Post  Hackmodford July 29th 2010, 9:42 am

vagabond wrote:
    Paeter wrote:

Ah I wasn’t really hatin’ on Twilight fans. I wouldn’t consider anyone a lesser person for liking it, although I might subject them to a little good natured teasing if I knew they would take it well Wink And if I in turn got harassed for being a Trekkie, well that would only be fair!

I have never seen Condorman. Is it a must-see? If so I might have to netflix it at some point. Probably the best older super hero movie that I got into was The Rocketeer. I don’t know if people thought of that as a comic book movie, but it pretty much was. I haven’t seen the Justice League cartoon, was it good? Not all of the newer stuff is bad; I’ve seen some great animated TV movies like Batman and Mr. Freeze: Subzero, and what I saw of The Spectacular Spiderman was good, even though the way the characters were drawn irritated me a bit. I enjoyed some of Batman Beyond as well. But I have to say that cartoons as a whole have gone downhill. I found stuff like X-Men Evolution and Static Shock unbearable to watch. But then I’m not exactly a part of the target demographic anymore, so I maybe I’m just getting old and should shut up about it!

No I'm with you on the cartoons. They just got plain weird... (Ed Edd & Eddy anyone?)
    What happened to good stuff like scooby-doo, The Jetsons, Flinstones? And they're not even from my time period.

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter July 29th 2010, 11:24 am

vagabond wrote:
    Paeter wrote:

I have never seen Condorman. Is it a must-see?

I’ve seen some great animated TV movies like Batman and Mr. Freeze: Subzero

Condorman is hardly a must-see, except for me. It took me years to track it down on DVD.(Disney for you) Last I checked it costs upwards of $100 on ebay, but my used bookstore sold one for $20. The fools! Bwahahahahaaa!

If you liked Sub Zero, you might like the Justice League cartoon series. All of those 90's/early 2000's DC animated shows were produced by Bruce Timm, who currently helms production of the direct to video DC animated features. Great stuff. I own every bit of DC animation he has produced.

www.spiritblade.com
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Post  WhiteBoy July 29th 2010, 11:30 am

What happened to good stuff like scooby-doo, The Jetsons, Flinstones? And they're not even from my time period.

And don't forget the Looney Tunes stuff. Smile

Alliance Member

Post  hvymtlcowboy July 29th 2010, 2:13 pm

I loved Condorman! i haven't found it anywhere on DVD around where I live. I tried to watch some of the X-Men evolution and couldn't handle it. I did watch a good Batman the other day. Batman under the Red Hood. Pretty awesome.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter July 29th 2010, 4:20 pm

hvymtlcowboy wrote:I loved Condorman! i haven't found it anywhere on DVD around where I live. I tried to watch some of the X-Men evolution and couldn't handle it. I did watch a good Batman the other day. Batman under the Red Hood. Pretty awesome.

Great movie! I just put up a review in the "Fan Zone" yesterday.

Did you ever watch the 90's X-men animated show? It recently all came out on DVD.

www.spiritblade.com
    hvymtlcowboy
    hvymtlcowboy
    Alliance Member

Post  hvymtlcowboy July 29th 2010, 4:52 pm

Yeah it was pretty good. I had them on (coughs) VHS. My kids wore the tapes out though. Very Happy
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Post  WhiteBoy July 29th 2010, 5:59 pm

I have several CD's of Divx rips of The Amazing Spider-man from the 90's that my kids (ok, me too) love watching. Luckily I have a DVD player that will play Divx movies.

Post  vagabond July 30th 2010, 8:32 pm

Paeter wrote:
    Condorman is hardly a must-see, except for me. It took me years to track it down on DVD.(Disney for you) Last I checked it costs upwards of $100 on ebay, but my used bookstore sold one for $20. The fools! Bwahahahahaaa!

If you liked Sub Zero, you might like the Justice League cartoon series. All of those 90's/early 2000's DC animated shows were produced by Bruce Timm, who currently helms production of the direct to video DC animated features.

Condorman must be rare indeed; netflix doesn’t even have it listed, and they list just about everything, even if they don’t have it available at the moment.

The batman animated movies were terrific. If the same guy did Justice League then I’ll have to give it a shot if it passes my way.

WhiteBoy wrote:I have several CD's of Divx rips of The Amazing Spider-man from the 90's that my kids (ok, me too) love watching. Luckily I have a DVD player that will play Divx movies.

Loved the early 90's spiderman. It was probably my favorite cartoon growing up.
    Rohelf
    Rohelf

Activity : 142

Post  Rohelf August 2nd 2010, 2:54 pm

Ah, another Rings fan... and in my neighborhood, too! Very Happy Mae govannen, Vagabond! Hope you enjoy the site.
    vagabond
    vagabond

Post  vagabond August 3rd 2010, 10:27 pm

Nice to meet you as well Rohelf! Yes Rings is some great stuff isn’t it? I was just thinking recently that if Middle-Earth locations had real world equivalencies, Central Kentucky with all its horses would naturally be Rohan. Which of course would make us Riders of Rohan! At least if we discount the fact that I have no idea how to even mount let alone ride a horse, which is surely only a minor technicality. Brilliant avatar!
    Rohelf
    Rohelf

Activity : 142

Post  Rohelf August 4th 2010, 10:02 am

Very, true, Vagabond! Acutally, my boyfriend teases me about living in what he calls "the poor man's Rohan," and I tease him right back about living in the poor man's Northfarthing (southern Idaho, land of potatoes and cheerful but insular farmers thereof). Ironically, his area looks more like the Peter Jackson version of Rohan than mine does. The last time I visited I took some pictures of the Snake River valley that look like Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli ought to come running into the frame. Gorgeous place! (Also, much like the filming location for Edoras, VERY windy... almost lost my hairtie...)

Thanks for the avi compliment! Your googly-eyed one is rather amusing, too!
    vagabond
    vagabond

Post  vagabond August 5th 2010, 10:24 pm

Idaho with beautiful vistas comparable to those of New Zealand?! Who would’ve thought! I certainly would never have pictured it that way. But then again I also just learned that Michigan has sand dunes. Clearly I shouldn’t be assuming I know so much about the nation’s geography. I’ll have to google this Snake River Valley place. I’m a big fan of dramatic landscaping.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 15th 2024, 4:52 am