Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+2
Paeter
WhiteBoy
6 posters

CQotW: What "churchy" word do you not often consider the meaning of?

WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

CQotW: What "churchy" word do you not often consider the meaning of? Empty CQotW: What "churchy" word do you not often consider the meaning of?

Post  WhiteBoy July 26th 2010, 1:08 pm

I thought it might be interesting to start a thread in the forums every week for us to talk about the Coffeehouse Question of the Week that Paeter gives in the podcast.

This week: What "churchy" or Biblical word do you hear used but not often consider the meaning of?

I actually have two that I have been meaning to study further. One is "propitiation" and the other is "forbearance." They are not words I hear often, but I have run across them fairly recently and want to study them more. Since Paeter has started working through Romans he will come upon these words soon enough.

"Propitiation" I believe is basically the "satisfaction of the debt" that I owed before I became a Christian. I think that "forbearance" is the patience of God not unleashing His wrath on me the instant I sin, but rather He was willing to wait to give opportunity for salvation or, now, reconciliation. Both of these terms are interesting to me and I need to study them further.

Please feel free to add anything you may have to contribute as I am always looking to learn more and seeking the truth. I'm also looking forward to hearing what other words y'all may have.

Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

CQotW: What "churchy" word do you not often consider the meaning of? Empty Re: CQotW: What "churchy" word do you not often consider the meaning of?

Post  Paeter July 26th 2010, 6:48 pm

Cool idea for a topic!

I'm gonna get into some neat words coming up in Romans. But historically, "grace" has been a word that I've heard a lot and I have to keep reminding myself of what it means, since it is thrown around in worship songs a lot and my mind can become numb to it.

Hopefully you guys haven't gotten sick of me always including the parenthetical definition(undeserved favor) in the posts and podcast, but that's as much for me as for anyone else!

www.spiritblade.com
    Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

CQotW: What "churchy" word do you not often consider the meaning of? Empty Re: CQotW: What "churchy" word do you not often consider the meaning of?

Post  Hackmodford July 27th 2010, 8:56 am

Off the top of my head a word I think is "meet" which alot of people mistake for "mate"

Also the "straight" and narrow path. I think alot of people don't realize that "straight" means difficult.

CQotW: What "churchy" word do you not often consider the meaning of? UntoldAlliancesJPG1_Resized

Goozex: Trade Videogames and save money!
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Post  WhiteBoy July 27th 2010, 10:31 am

Hopefully you guys haven't gotten sick of me always including the parenthetical definition(undeserved favor) in the posts and podcast, but that's as much for me as for anyone else!

No it doesn't bother me at all. As a matter of fact I like it when you define words; to me it shows that your intent is teaching and explanation.

Off the top of my head a word I think is "meet" which alot of people mistake for "mate"

I'm not sure to what you're referring on this one. The with the context you've given, the only thing that is ringing a bell is in Genesis where God says He will make a "help meet" for Adam. In this case I would guess that "mate" would be a pretty good definition. Is this what you're referring to? Regardless, what do you think is a good definition for "meet."

Also the "straight" and narrow path. I think alot of people don't realize that "straight" means difficult.
    Interesting. I don't remember hearing that before...thanks.

Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Post  Hackmodford July 27th 2010, 10:35 am

Yes I'm referring to genesis. Meet means something like a helper made fit for. So eve was Adams mate but also his co partner in his duties. But we never use the word meet anymore so we accidentally associate the word with mate.

CQotW: What "churchy" word do you not often consider the meaning of? UntoldAlliancesJPG1_Resized

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter July 27th 2010, 12:26 pm

Hackmodford wrote:Yes I'm referring to genesis. Meet means something like a helper made fit for. So eve was Adams mate but also his co partner in his duties. But we never use the word meet anymore so we accidentally associate the word with mate.

Totally forgotten about the use of that word. Though I rarely open up an original King James.

For clarification: When you say that straight means difficult, do you mean that walking the straight path in life naturally contains difficulty, or do you mean that you've done a word study on the word straight and it comes from a root word meaning difficult?

www.spiritblade.com
    Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Post  Hackmodford July 27th 2010, 4:47 pm

I believe it was from just a normal dictionary like this

strait (strt)
    n.
    1. Abbr. Str. or St. A narrow channel joining two larger bodies of water. Often used in the plural with a singular verb.
    2. A position of difficulty, perplexity, distress, or need. Often used in the plural: in desperate straits.
    adj.
    a. Difficult; stressful.
    b. Having or marked by limited funds or resources.
    2. Archaic
    a. Narrow.
    b. Affording little space or room; confined.
    c. Fitting tightly; constricted.
    3. Archaic Strict, rigid, or righteous.

But maybe I looked it up in the strongs too, I forgot. I remember the case being we were in psalms and I noticed that strait meant difficult...

Rohelf
    Rohelf

Activity : 142
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  Rohelf July 28th 2010, 11:31 am

Hackmodford- want me to double-check / investigate that for you? I've got the OED downstairs and the Strong's at the partner library up the road. (Can't help it, reference sense tingling. Smile )

One little tic of Christianese that fits in a little with this topic and a little with Paeter's question for this week, is the way some people feel the need to re-address God multiple times per sentence. "Lord, if it be your will, Lord, please hear us, Lord, and Lord, look on us with favor, oh Lord." I've always found that particularly confusing and annoying. Come on, He's God. He does not have ADD, and He doesn't need to be reminded that you're talking to Him every fifth word. I know I'd get pretty sick of listening to someone talk to me like that all the time. Can anyone explain to me how and why this style of repeated address got started and remains so widely used?

Oh, and a funny story from the outsider's perspective. I was raised Catholic, but it wasn't until I was in college that I started seriously investigating Christianity and the Bible for myself. So I ran into several "cradle Christians" on campus, and one of them invited me to a meeting. When I asked her what the meetings were like, she said, "Oh, don't worry, it's not formal or anything, we're just going to have Bible study and prayer time and then Fellowship." Now, remember, at this point, I'd only been dealing with Christianese speakers for a month or so, but I'd been a Tolkien geek from the age of 13. (Yeah, you see where this is going... Wink ) So to me, Fellowship only means one thing, and the ensuing conversation was very confusing for both parties:

Me: Very Happy Fellowship?! Sweet! Extended or theatrical version?
    Cradle Christian Girl: What?
    Me: DVD or VHS?
    CCG: Um, no, no, we're not having a movie, just Fellowship.
    Me: Oh, are you doing a reading?
    CCG: Question No, the Reading comes earlier, this is just Fellowship.
    Me: bounce Tell me there's a costume contest!
    CCG: Question Shocked Suspect
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Post  WhiteBoy July 28th 2010, 11:43 am

ROFL!

"Fellowship" is one of those words that kinda annoys me too, but I'm not sure I like the alternatives much better. Sometimes I say we're going to hang out, have a party, or something. "Hang out" is ok, but "party" has the connotation of there being alcohol (at least in my mind) so I generally don't use that one. Being Southern, "shin dig" is another one of my favorites...I just enjoy embracing my Southern roots sometimes. Very Happy Or sometimes I'll use "get-together."

What do you call them?

Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Post  Hackmodford July 28th 2010, 11:47 am

We've always called it fellowship. And we all try to edify each other.

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter July 28th 2010, 2:45 pm

Hackmodford wrote:

strait (strt)
    n.
    1. Abbr. Str. or St. A narrow channel joining two larger bodies of water. Often used in the plural with a singular verb.
    2. A position of difficulty, perplexity, distress, or need. Often used in the plural: in desperate straits.
    adj.
    a. Difficult; stressful.
    b. Having or marked by limited funds or resources.
    2. Archaic
    a. Narrow.
    b. Affording little space or room; confined.
    c. Fitting tightly; constricted.
    3. Archaic Strict, rigid, or righteous.

Oh, I'm with you now. You meant strait but typed straight the first time. Hence my confusion. Just checked the Greek. "Stenos" means narrow in that context, given that it is contrasted with wide. Though I agree, the implication is that passage through the gate is difficult.

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter July 28th 2010, 2:51 pm

WhiteBoy wrote:

ROFL!

"Fellowship" is one of those words that kinda annoys me too, but I'm not sure I like the alternatives much better. Sometimes I say we're going to hang out, have a party, or something. "Hang out" is ok, but "party" has the connotation of there being alcohol (at least in my mind) so I generally don't use that one. Being Southern, "shin dig" is another one of my favorites...I just enjoy embracing my Southern roots sometimes. Very Happy Or sometimes I'll use "get-together."

What do you call them?

Great story, Rohelf! I don't typically use the word in conversation unless talking about its appearance and meaning in scripture. The Greek word is Koinonia and includes association, community, communion, and joint participation in its meaning.

I usually talk about having "community" when discussing the Biblical concept. Biblically, "fellowship" isn't an event. It's ongoing relational community. So hanging out and having prayer meetings are both different components in the overall idea of koinonia.

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster July 30th 2010, 6:55 pm

When I first hear this question these clips came to mind enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-YFbpgos-0&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDQSnqp08fo&feature=related
    Tim
    Tim

Activity : 258
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  Tim July 31st 2010, 8:33 am

ah...Tim Hawkins is awesome!!

><> ><> ><> <>< ><> ><>
    Be BOLD

PS 144:1
    1COR 4:20

><>
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Post  WhiteBoy July 31st 2010, 10:44 am

When I first hear this question these clips came to mind enjoy

Haha! good stuff. I haven't heard of him, I'll have to check him out. Thanks!

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster August 1st 2010, 4:31 am

I never heard of "Hedge of Protection" befor i saw this but now when ever i hear some one say that I try not to laugh
    Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Post  Hackmodford August 2nd 2010, 2:13 pm

Rickster wrote:When I first hear this question these clips came to mind enjoy

Next time try embedding them with the youtube video button.

Rohelf
    Rohelf

Activity : 142
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  Rohelf August 2nd 2010, 2:36 pm

Rickster, those are hillarious! Laughing

I noticed in some of the other videos available of him that he, too, has picked up on the "Father, Father" tic.

Oh, and I've only heard the "hedge of protection" bit a few times, but I always pictured it not as shrubbery, but a hedge formation of spears or pikes. Don't know if that's where the phrase originated or not, but it's the image I give it, and hey, it makes a lot more sense as a protective barrier than a couple of low-growing evergreens...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 17th 2024, 3:56 am