Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+3
WhiteBoy
Nathan James Norman
tmorrill
7 posters

How wrong can you be before it becomes critical?

Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

How wrong can you be before it becomes critical? - Page 2 Empty Re: How wrong can you be before it becomes critical?

Post  Nathan James Norman August 20th 2013, 4:02 pm

Paeter wrote:
    And I'd agree that the scenario I described is highly improbable. I think my tendency, when talking about justification, is to grind it down to the most basic level possible in order to avoid any tacked on bits of legalism. It sounds like we're both driven to emphasize different things in order to avoid different heresies that we've personally seen cause harm in others.

On a purely academic, theological level, it sounds like we're probably in agreement. But we're both sensing the dangers of not representing this topic well in practical conversation. For example, you're sensing the very real danger of the rejection of Christ (despite one thinking they've "accepted him") because of a false view of God's nature. I'm sensing the danger of some form of works-based justification if anything more than the absolute essentials enter the discussion of justification.

But in an ongoing conversation with someone about justification I'd feel strongly compelled to bring in closely related, monumentally vital sanctification issues, such as core doctrines like the Trinity. And it sounds as though, at the end of the day, your concern is not so much with a person affirming the word "Trinity" but affirming the proper nature of Christ(fully man/fully God), which I think I'd agree is vital to justification.

You hit the nail on the head.

I think we're in agreement.

I certainly don't want to become a legalist... or more specifically a pelagian (i.e. knowledge saves). But I also don't want to open the door so wide, as to accept untruth.

There is a tension here which is why the theologians noting the difference between formal and incidental heresy is so helpful.

Arius was a tool of the devil. But, I am convinced that many of those who came to faith in Christ under his teaching.. actually came to the real Jesus. And the proof is when they were confronted with the egregious error... they repented and came under sound doctrine.
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

How wrong can you be before it becomes critical? - Page 2 Empty Re: How wrong can you be before it becomes critical?

Post  Rickster August 21st 2013, 3:03 am

Nathan James Norman wrote:
    Rickster wrote:One of my Facebook friends recently started believing Jesus isn't God and we had a debate about it.
    How has that gone? Any way we can help. Certainly I'm praying for God's words to be on your lips . . . and fingers!
    this was a couple months ago he never replied to my last question about the Commander of the LORD's Army in Joshua but I'm thinking about starting up with him because I saw a verse recently I want to see how he interpits it if we do debate again I might come here asking for help. (I almost did last time)
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Post  Nathan James Norman November 11th 2013, 8:22 pm

I love this group.

I love you guys.

I decided to post a link to a blog post I wrote a few days ago on this thread because it's about the Trinity.

It seems to me, there is an abandonment of the doctrine as an essential doctrine that is underway. This makes me sad. Heartbroken really.

Take a read if the topic interests you at all.

http://www.nathanjamesnorman.com/5/post/2013/11/trinity-watch-how-the-west-was-lost.html
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy November 18th 2013, 1:33 am

I have a document I created for my own study related to the deity of Jesus.  It's not polished or even complete...just a personal document, but I thought you might find it useful.

Alliance Member

Post  Nathan James Norman November 19th 2013, 10:19 am

WhiteBoy wrote:I have a document I created for my own study related to the deity of Jesus.  It's not polished or even complete...just a personal document, but I thought you might find it useful.
    Great stuff here! Thank you for sharing!!!!!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 29th 2024, 8:56 am