Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

Phineas and Ferb: The Quest for Cool Stuff Video Game review

Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Phineas and Ferb: The Quest for Cool Stuff Video Game review  Empty Phineas and Ferb: The Quest for Cool Stuff Video Game review

Post  Rickster September 5th 2013, 8:44 pm

Phineas and Ferb: The Quest for Cool Stuff

I enjoy the Phineas and Ferb cartoon and think it’s one of the cleverest shows on TV.  I enjoyed their first console game “Across the 2nd Dimension” (based on the TV movie of the same name) and when I learned a new game was coming out I got pretty excited until I saw the trailer then I was kind of on the fence about it. But the Wii U I got for my birthday has been collecting dust due to my lack of games for it, so I decided to go ahead and preorder it. And all I can say now is that I should have judged it by the trailer.

Story
    It’s the last week of summer vacation and Phineas and Ferb need to do something really cool so they decide to make ‘The Museum of Cool.’ They take their All-Terrain Transformation Vehicle or A.T.T. and go to the Temple of Cool to find stuff to put in their museum. Meanwhile their pet Perry the Platypus, aka “Agent P,” goes on a mission to stop his nemesis Dr. Doofenshmirtz from using his latest invention: The Attract-Cool-Stuff-Inator.

How the Game Works
    The game is a side scrolling adventure has three sections the Home, Temple of Cool, and Doofenshmirtz’s Evil Incorporated. Home is main hub where you can get missions for the boy’s fiends Isabella, Baljeet and Buford, checkout what items you have for your Museum of Cool, play a mini-games to upgrade the A.T.T. Gone on your next adventure as Phineas and Ferb or Perry, or you can even listen in on older sister’s Candice’s phone conversation.
    The Temple of Cool (and later the Moon) you control the boys in their A.T.T. and switch between Phineas mode and Ferb Mode looking for treasure and fighting temple statues. On ferb mode you can use jump use spin attacks and Ferb mode you can just do normal jumps and drill things. Each level has 5 treasures chest, 3 Ducky Momos , and a (sometimes) hidden big chest. All of the Chest have something that will go in your Museum and after you reach the end of the level you get a slot machine type mini game that gives you bonus Gears (coins used to upgrade stuff) and the number of Ducky Momos you found in the level will multiply your winnings.
    The Agent P levels play exactly like the phineas and ferb levels (minus the Ducky Momo and bonus slot game) you go around collecting lawn gnomes (I have no idea why) and fighting Normbots you can also switch from Agent mode to pet mode to avoid agent detectors
    What I like about the game
    The voice acting is great! All of the characters are voiced by same actors as the TV show (not as impressive of a feat as Disney did with the newly released Ducktales Remastered game, but that’s for a different review.)
    The Perry levels are sort of fun and they are really the only part of the game that has a progressive story line.
    The End Credits have some cleave dialog and it’s great knowing I’m done with the game

What I didn’t like about the game
    The lack of story: you basically just go from one area of the temple to the next avoiding enemies and collecting gears and treasures until you get to the end of that level. Phineas’ and Ferb’s friends do have missions for them to do, but only a couple of them reward you with something you actually need to progress in the game. The rest can be ignored and it has no affect on finishing the game.
    Lack of enemy design: Both Phineas and Ferb and Perry’s levels have one enemy that they fight in the game, for the boys it’s temple statue guard and for Agent P it Dr D’s Normbots, and both have the same basic shape. Some of the enemies have spikes on their heads so you have to use your spin attack on them. Some don’t. Some have spikes around them so you have to use your jump attack, and some don’t. Then there are some electric ones you can’t kill, so you just have to avoid. That’s it. There are no other changes to the enemies whatsoever.
    Lack of Humor: One of the reasons I think the show is popular is the fact that it has smart and witty jokes that appeal to both adults and kids. This is something the game sadly lacks.
    The controls: UGH! I don’t know how many times I would have to push a button more than once to get the game to do what I wanted it to.  And from what I could tell there wasn't a way to cancel the wall jump, so if for some reason you wanted to get back on the ground after starting to wall jump you have to wait for Ferb to slowly slide back down to the ground.
    It’s way too easy: The game gives you 3 health points and if you die you go back to the last check point, but there isn't even a penalty for dying. The enemies you defeated before you died are still gone, the number of gears (coins you use to upgrade your ATT) you had collected before you died doesn't decrease and, while the enemies aren't back, the gears are. So if you’re need to get some gears you can go collect them, fall down into a lava pit and die, then go back to the check point and collect the gears again and again until you have enough gears. But honestly the game never once told me I didn't have enough gears to buy any certain upgrade I needed, so I never needed to “gear grind”. This game doesn't even have a final boss fight or any boss fight what so ever.

Conclusion
    This game might have worked as a one of the online games Disney Channel has on their website or maybe for one of the handheld systems but for a mainstream console game it falls very flat and a huge disappointment. If you have young kids who are into the series and you want to introduce to playing video games then maybe you might want to get this for them or you’re an xbox achievement junkie and want to get any easy 1000 points but this game does not work at being enjoyable to everyone
    The game is rated E for everyone and features “Mild Cartoon Violence”
    And is available on the Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360, Nintedon DS, and the 3DS
    My Score
    Skip it
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Phineas and Ferb: The Quest for Cool Stuff Video Game review  Empty Re: Phineas and Ferb: The Quest for Cool Stuff Video Game review

Post  Paeter September 12th 2013, 1:17 pm

Thanks for posting this! I don't know how I didn't notice it before now. I'll plan to slot it into the show soon!

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Phineas and Ferb: The Quest for Cool Stuff Video Game review  Empty Re: Phineas and Ferb: The Quest for Cool Stuff Video Game review

Post  Rickster October 12th 2013, 12:06 am

Just heard it on the podcast and wanted to let you know you actually pronounced all of the names correctly
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter October 14th 2013, 5:45 pm

Rickster wrote:Just heard it on the podcast and wanted to let you know you actually pronounced all of the names correctly
    Yer kidding! Woohoo!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 2nd 2024, 1:51 am