Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

Gluttony In The Bible (As Opposed To Gluttony In The American Church)

DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Gluttony In The Bible (As Opposed To Gluttony In The American Church) Empty Gluttony In The Bible (As Opposed To Gluttony In The American Church)

Post  DNArington September 10th 2013, 10:21 pm

This is a interesting article that tackles the real meaning of gluttony as opposed to what people generally refers to as gluttony. I haven't really looked into what he is saying beyond just reading this article, but honestly I think he is right. What he says makes a lot more sense to me than how it is normally translated.

http://trinityhouseinstitute.com/gluttony-in-the-bible-as-opposed-to-gluttony-in-the-american-church/

What do you think?
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Gluttony In The Bible (As Opposed To Gluttony In The American Church) Empty Re: Gluttony In The Bible (As Opposed To Gluttony In The American Church)

Post  Paeter October 10th 2013, 11:06 am

I thought it was interesting and had some truth to it. I don't think the term gluttony in scripture is purely about eating a lot and being obese.

However I noticed a sharp turn in the last 4th of the article toward an agenda he seems to have entered the article with, connected to health and fitness and its role in the modern Christian life.

"What I am saying seems to make the Bible irrelevant to a great deal of cultural noise about the dangers of obesity and the health/fitness industry. I think that much of that industry and the cultural noise is likely a bunch of silly nonsense that will someday be recalled by historians with the same feelings we get when we watch a historical drama on television and see a physician cut and bleed a sick patient.

Perhaps I’m over-reacting to some degree. It is hard to say with any certainty. But I am quite confident that we would be better off getting our ethical data, especially our standards for judging other people, from the Bible rather than from the current consensus."

I don't know what specific "cultural noise" he is talking about, but comparing modern trends toward exercise and health/fitness to ancient physicians bleeding their patients seems a bit absurd.

So I guess I would validate his conclusion that scriptural "gluttony" is not simply "eating a lot", but would add that the Bible does give some value to physical fitness.

(1 Timothy 4:8, ESV) For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.

www.spiritblade.com
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Gluttony In The Bible (As Opposed To Gluttony In The American Church) Empty Re: Gluttony In The Bible (As Opposed To Gluttony In The American Church)

Post  DNArington October 16th 2013, 12:28 am

Paeter wrote:I don't know what specific "cultural noise" he is talking about, but comparing modern trends toward exercise and health/fitness to ancient physicians bleeding their patients seems a bit absurd.
    I agree that is absurd. He might be trying to create an extreme example to push his point, but yeah, that's pretty ridiculous.

FYI:
    The Bible also says in Psalm 92:12-14 that the righteous shall be fat and flourishing, therefore implying that at least some measure of fatness is (or can be) a blessing. Just saying...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 29th 2024, 11:30 am