Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+3
Nathan James Norman
Paeter
UKSteve
7 posters

Whovember

UKSteve
    UKSteve

Activity : 354
    Geek-Cred : 10

Whovember  Empty Whovember

Post  UKSteve November 8th 2013, 11:49 am

Has nobody been cheering for our favourite Time Lord while I haven't been here?

Has anybody got tickets for a big screen 3D showing of Day of the Doctor? (Somebody should take Paeter along - I would, but I'm not exactly local!)

I am celebrating in my own bloggy little way, planning to post at least one review featuring each of the classic Doctors during November at http://stevetrower.com/category/whovember/; so far I've done One and Two, both of which included some religious or pseudo-religious content which might be of interest to folks here Smile
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Whovember  Empty Re: Whovember

Post  Paeter November 8th 2013, 4:58 pm

3D Day Of The Doctor? Color me intrigued...

www.spiritblade.com
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Post  Nathan James Norman November 11th 2013, 8:23 pm

This is fun!

My wife and I are trying to go... but I don't think it's playing within 3 hours of us.

Thanks Steve!
    UKSteve
    UKSteve

Activity : 354
    Geek-Cred : 10

Post  UKSteve December 2nd 2013, 4:50 pm

So... I did get to see this on the big screen in 3D, and for me it was totally worth while.

It wasn't, as some might have hoped, a fictionalised retrospective of the Doctor's twelve lives and 50 years to date, but a contemporary sci-fi set in that established universe and with a few nice little nods to the show's history.

I won't go on about it for ages - I'm sure those who are interested saw it! - but:

The interaction between the three Doctors was great fun to watch. Sure, it would have been nice to have had McGann and Eccleston in as well, but that would have meant less screen time and less interaction between the Doctors we did have.
    Rose Tyler was surprisingly good as the slightly batty AI.
    Bringing all the past Doctor's in via archive footage was a nice touch, without overdoing the nostalgia.
    There were plenty of little snippets from the past that slipped in for those who were interested too.
    Bringing the Thirteenth in as well was an unexpected, and very welcome, bonus!
    The bit at the end with the curator... bordering on gratuitous, I think, although again, nice hat tip to a popular Doc (and there were 'round things' on the wall behind him... is the museum really his TARDIS?)
    I'm pretty sure it all made sense in the bigger picture too - no glaring contradictions or loose ends left untied.

And as for relevance... well, it was all about Ten and Eleven confronting their lowest day, and when it comes down to it, the Doctor is prepared to own that mistake, and forgive himself for it. And in doing that, the weight is lifted, the guilt goes away, and a way to put things right becomes clear.

Fantastic!
    tmorrill
    tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Post  tmorrill December 2nd 2013, 5:01 pm

UKSteve wrote:So... I did get to see this on the big screen in 3D, and for me it was totally worth while.

It wasn't, as some might have hoped, a fictionalised retrospective of the Doctor's twelve lives and 50 years to date, but a contemporary sci-fi set in that established universe and with a few nice little nods to the show's history.

I won't go on about it for ages - I'm sure those who are interested saw it! - but:

The interaction between the three Doctors was great fun to watch. Sure, it would have been nice to have had McGann and Eccleston in as well, but that would have meant less screen time and less interaction between the Doctors we did have.
    Rose Tyler was surprisingly good as the slightly batty AI.
    Bringing all the past Doctor's in via archive footage was a nice touch, without overdoing the nostalgia.
    There were plenty of little snippets from the past that slipped in for those who were interested too.
    Bringing the Thirteenth in as well was an unexpected, and very welcome, bonus!
    The bit at the end with the curator... bordering on gratuitous, I think, although again, nice hat tip to a popular Doc (and there were 'round things' on the wall behind him... is the museum really his TARDIS?)
    I'm pretty sure it all made sense in the bigger picture too - no glaring contradictions or loose ends left untied.

And as for relevance... well, it was all about Ten and Eleven confronting their lowest day, and when it comes down to it, the Doctor is prepared to own that mistake, and forgive himself for it. And in doing that, the weight is lifted, the guilt goes away, and a way to put things right becomes clear.

Fantastic!
    I saw it in 3D as well and loved it, absolutely worth the 5ish hour round trip.

The way the characters interacted with each other was great, and I love the interplay between Tennant and Smith with Hurt not tolerating any of their tomfoolery.

Oh and on the theater part, I loved the two extra featurettes at the start with Smith being excited for the 100th Anniversary in 12d and Strax telling us how to act in the cinema and what would happen if we didn't.

Have any of you guys seen an Adventure in Space and Time? I absolutely loved it even if it did make me cry at the end (which for me, is a big thing. I don't think I've ever done that in any movie.)

Between the two of those, I'd have to call this a fantastic(!) tribute and celebration of 50 years of Doctor Who.
    the.fizz
    the.fizz

Activity : 1
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  the.fizz December 5th 2013, 11:44 am

and for funsies... Easter Eggs from the episode!

Drew.Rub
    Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Post  Drew.Rub December 7th 2013, 2:19 pm

GAH! Still need to see this episode.
    tmorrill
    tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Post  tmorrill December 7th 2013, 8:20 pm

Drew.Rub wrote:GAH!  Still need to see this episode.
    Do it! Do it! Do it!

It's on Amazon Prime if you've got one of those accounts.
    Drew.Rub
    Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Post  Drew.Rub December 7th 2013, 8:36 pm

tmorrill wrote:
    Drew.Rub wrote:GAH!  Still need to see this episode.
    Do it! Do it! Do it!

It's on Amazon Prime if you've got one of those accounts.
    Stang. I don't have a prime account. Yet. But a buddy of mine from work said he was able to find it and get me a copy of it. Perhaps I should check cokeandpopcorn.com.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings December 10th 2013, 5:04 am

I've been celebrating whovian goodness for in earnest during the lead-up to the 0th.
    My wife and I got up early Sunday morning to watch the global simulcast of The Day of the Doctor with all the northern hemisphereans before church. It's a wonder we didn't wake the kids with all our screams of excitement and general awesomeness.

I loved the episode (and the webisode night of the doctor that proceeded it). It honoured the past nicely while ultimately being about the future.

The chemistry between Matt Smith, David Tennant and John Hurt was a whole lot of fun. I loved the idea of a doomsday weapon with a conscience that tries to talk its user out of it, and Billie Piper was great as the moment. It was a beautiful thing seeing all thirteen doctors working together at the end.

The episode left me celebrating the last 50 years while breathlessly anticipating what's to come.

If anyone is interested I did a video review of the episode.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 2nd 2024, 6:25 am