Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

David the shepherd

Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

David the shepherd  Empty David the shepherd

Post  Rickster February 28th 2014, 10:19 pm

Imagine you were a teen living at home and your parents gave you a list of things they wanted you to do. So being a good Christian son you agree to do them. A few hours later you get back you learn that your parents had a surprise visit by some VIP and when you asked them why then didn't call you so you could meet this person they say oh we didn't even think of you. You would've been hurt by that.
    Now that might seem a bit far fetched but that is how I think that's how Jessie treated David. Here is Samuel the prophet of the LORD and he visits this nobody in the land of Israel and does anyone get David? No and then Samuel says that he's here to anoint one of Jessie's sons to be the next king. Does anyone get David to see if he could be the king? Not until Samuel ask if he has anymore sons. Then they think to get David who was out watching his father's sheep.
    Maybe I'm twisting the story around so I can apply it to my current situation as I've had to put my life on hold to take care of my grandma and for the most part get ignored by the rest of my family. But I can't help thinking that this kid who was almost invisible to his family would have people sing songs about him (1 Sam. 18: 6-7) and the boy that his father trusted to watch his sheep would someday be trusted to rule the people of Israel. When I think about that Luke 16:10 comes to mind
    So any thoughts? am I looking to deep into this story?
    Dreamerhorwitz
    Dreamerhorwitz

Activity : 77
    Geek-Cred : 4

David the shepherd  Empty Re: David the shepherd

Post  Dreamerhorwitz March 1st 2014, 11:32 pm

That's actually the default interpretation about him (at least from here to the battle with Goliath). Dave's the youngest of the family, history shows that Ancient Isreali culture favored the oldest son, so why involve the kid in adult matters?
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy March 6th 2014, 1:28 am

Dave's the youngest of the family, history shows that Ancient Isreali culture favored the oldest son, so why involve the kid in adult matters?
    I think this is the main reason. David was likely teen at this time, probably even a young teen. It was so far-fetched that he would be the one bearing responsibility, it just wouldn't have entered their minds.

With that being said, I think it's a reminder to any youth out there that God has a plan for you...right now. It's not just when you "grow up" or when you become an adult....God wants to be using you right now.

As to your thoughts, I find that often God uses passages to speak to us in a very personal way. Just because there is a plausible explanation as to why David was overlooked, that doesn't mean that the Lord isn't speaking to you through that story. He could be using that passage to remind you of truth and to give you encouragement that you may be needing at this time in your life.

The passage to which you referred (Luke 16:10) is applicable: "One who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much, and one who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much" and was probably brought to mind specifically for that encouragement that you need.

Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter March 7th 2014, 6:03 pm

WhiteBoy wrote:

With that being said, I think it's a reminder to any youth out there that God has a plan for you...right now.  It's not just when you "grow up" or when you become an adult....God wants to be using you right now.

Oh MAN this is so true. It's something I need to be reminded of, too. So thank you. I can get trapped into looking into the future and miss the opportunities God has for me today, in this very moment. Thanks for that insight, WhiteBoy.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 29th 2024, 7:36 am