Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Pillars Of Eternity

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Pillars Of Eternity Empty Pillars Of Eternity

Post  Paeter March 4th 2014, 3:48 pm

So I'm on a Baldur's Gate 2 kick right now. Actually an "Infinity Engine" kick, as I plan to play Icewind Dale 1 and 2 and Planescape Torment next(none of which I've played before) as I continue to slowly build funds for a new console (or maybe two given the length of these games. Wow!). While on said kick, I discovered a new project in the works by the developers of the Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment games. It will not use the D&D rules as far as I know, but will otherwise be a spiritual successor to infinity engine RPGs: Fixed isometric view controlling multiple party members with tactical pause-choose-play action selection.

The game is slated to come out in winter of this year and looks fantastic. A trade-off for using only 2D in the game is that average, run of the mill laptops and computers will be able to run the game without problems. But if you're thinking that ditching polygons will hurt the visuals, I'd recommend checking out this gameplay teaser. (Remember, there is NO 3D involved here in sprites, backgrounds or anything else.) Enjoy!

www.spiritblade.com
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Pillars Of Eternity Empty Re: Pillars Of Eternity

Post  ComiKate March 4th 2014, 5:41 pm

Paeter wrote:...infinity engine RPGs: Fixed isometric view controlling multiple party members with tactical pause-choose-play action selection.

While not having even the slightest clue about what you're saying there study scratch Question study - that trailer still looks cool!
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter March 5th 2014, 8:51 pm

ComiKate wrote:
    Paeter wrote:...infinity engine RPGs: Fixed isometric view controlling multiple party members with tactical pause-choose-play action selection.

While not having even the slightest clue about what you're saying there study scratch Question study - that trailer still looks cool!

Sorry, I guess I was speaking in "dorkese".  Wink 

The Diablo games use a fixed "bird's eye" view of the game, rather than a camera the player can rotate and control. A good description of "Isometric" as it pertains to video games can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isometric_graphics_in_video_games_and_pixel_art

The "infinity engine" was a video game engine used by several games in the early 2000's. The games included Baldur's Gate 1&2, Icewind Dale 1&2 and Planescape: Torment. In all of these games (as far as I know. Haven't played them all yet.) you control one or more characters on screen, directing them in real-time exploration and combat (rather than the turn-based combat of RPGs like the early Final Fantasy games). When not given specific instructions, the characters will carry out pre-programmed actions, such as attacking nearby enemies or healing party members. However, the player may pause the game at any time and select individual characters, assigning them to more specific actions with a few clicks of the mouse. The player may then unpause the game and watch the character(s) carry out the assigned actions. This is what I meant by "pause-choose-play" action selection.

Sorry for the confusion!

www.spiritblade.com
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate March 6th 2014, 3:46 am

Thanks for the translation! clown 

I do speak some Dorkese too btw, I'm just not familiar with the Gamese dialect. geek
    rossmcclure4

Activity : 78
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  rossmcclure4 March 6th 2014, 2:40 pm

Wow that looks cool. I'm working through "Avadon" right now, I look forward to getting to the first Baldur's gate after that.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter March 7th 2014, 5:58 pm

Dude, Avadon looks rockin! I totally have to scour the web for more videos and info now. Never heard of it before you mentioned it, so thanks!!!!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 7th 2024, 4:32 pm