Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+5
Dreamerhorwitz
DNArington
ProfessorAlan
WhiteBoy
Paeter
9 posters

Summer Of Free 2014 Requests?

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Summer Of Free 2014 Requests? Empty Summer Of Free 2014 Requests?

Post  Paeter March 20th 2014, 11:58 am

The last 5 weeks have raced by for me and suddenly I'm looking just a few weeks ahead where I can see The Summer Of Free on the horizon. These are usually the months when I begin seeking out content to feature on the summer of free (especially if I'm looking for video game content so I have a chance to try them out). But I thought I would solicit some input from you guys on the kinds of entertainment you'd like to see featured in The Summer Of Free this year. In the past I have tended toward video games, but I'm open to shifting focus to give more attention to other mediums as well.

Put simply, what kinds of free, geeky entertainment would you like to hear about, if it can be found out there somewhere?

www.spiritblade.com
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Summer Of Free 2014 Requests? Empty Re: Summer Of Free 2014 Requests?

Post  WhiteBoy March 20th 2014, 2:12 pm

Not *totally* free, but I've heard of print and play board/card games out there. I have not tried any, but I'd be interested to see if you think any of them are good.

Activity : 115
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  ProfessorAlan March 24th 2014, 10:46 am

I would like some YouTube videos, or even other podcast recommendations?
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington March 27th 2014, 9:17 pm

Marvel Heroes is a free game that I've been meaning to check out. If I do I'll send in some of my thoughts.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter March 31st 2014, 3:16 pm

DNArington wrote:Marvel Heroes is a free game that I've been meaning to check out. If I do I'll send in some of my thoughts.

That would be great! Thanks!

www.spiritblade.com
    Dreamerhorwitz
    Dreamerhorwitz

Activity : 77
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  Dreamerhorwitz April 5th 2014, 1:56 pm

Crunchyroll.com let's everyone watch Japanese TV shows (all subbed) for free. Some of my favorite shows on the site are Blassreiter and My Little Nightmare (no similarities to a famous child's brand featuring horses).
    Yes, the site has a premium membership option that let's you get some of the shows earlier, but watching a few episodes of a TV show before everyone else doesn't sound like it's worth the premium price.

Last edited by Dreamerhorwitz on April 7th 2014, 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter April 7th 2014, 3:41 pm

Dreamerhorwitz wrote:Crunchyroll.com let's everyone watch their Japanese TV shows (all subbed) for free. Some of my favorite shows on the site are Blassreiter and My Little Nightmare (no similarities to a famous child's brand featuring horses).
    Yes, the site has a premium membership option that let's you get some of the shows earlier, but watching a few episodes of a TV show before everyone else doesn't sound like it's worth the premium price.

I'll check it out! Thanks, Dreamer!

www.spiritblade.com
    vagabond
    vagabond

Activity : 40
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  vagabond April 14th 2014, 5:59 pm

This game is free and is said to be fun, I have not gotten to play it yet myself though.

It's available for download on Steam as well as game's site: http://www.crystalshard.net/hq.htm
    tmorrill
    tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Post  tmorrill April 14th 2014, 6:33 pm

Maybe some reviews on different scifi monthly magazines out there? They tend to have their back issues free online. Depending on my schedule I might be able to help out with those.
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Post  Nathan James Norman April 16th 2014, 1:02 pm

What if... and this is just an idea... take it or leave it... you find one thing.

One summer of free thing that has reasonably broad appeal. It has some sort of social networking involved (i.e. a "book of the month" where people can talk about chapters on the forums OR a video game that has online features, a free YouTube show that we can discuss on the forums).

A variant would be to have one item a month. "This month on the summer of free we'll be reading THE AWESOMEST BOOK EVER WRITTEN by COOLGUY43... Bob on the forums said... it's not that good." And then the next month, "This month on the summer of free we're playing a video game... that's free... post your high scores... join the SB guild..."

rossmcclure4

Activity : 78
    Geek-Cred : 1

Summer Of Free 2014 Requests? Empty A recap!

Post  rossmcclure4 June 1st 2014, 7:58 am

I would like to request at least one "recap" summer of free segment, or maybe a "best of". Over the years there has been some awesome stuff put out in SOF and I can't say I've gotten around to all of them. I'm pretty sure these have been covered, but I've just recently gotten into the free audio drama podcast "Star Trek: The Lost Frontier" which is AMAZING, and I've only started getting into "Geek and Sundry" and "Machinima" in the past year. I think these things have all been covered before, but they are still ROCKING since then.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 17th 2024, 5:57 am