Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Orphan Black disc 1 - why I didn't love it

jsweeney
    jsweeney

Activity : 30
    Geek-Cred : 3

Orphan Black disc 1 - why I didn't love it Empty Orphan Black disc 1 - why I didn't love it

Post  jsweeney June 24th 2014, 3:28 pm

I watched the first four episodes of Orphan Black and my reactions were mixed. On one level it is a very engaging mystery and "double-agent"-thriller. Much of the drama stems from the need of the protagonist acting as a crime investigator to thwart aspects of her own investigation, and the conflicting loyalties that arise as the characters and their motivations are gradually revealed. The show definitely succeeds in terms of effective storytelling. As a Christian, though, I was struck with the stark contrasts between the naturalistic and postmodern worldview of the creator/screenwriter and my own. In the Orphan Black universe the lifestyle of a likable, brotherly male prostitute is something to be celebrated as a triumph of self-determination, while a "creationist" is an irrational murderer who surrounds herself with stereotypical serial killer props. On the positive side, the protagonists show themselves to be motivated by the urge to shield children from harm and frequently demonstrate self-sacrificial loyalty to each other, but I could not get past my awareness of the deceptive philosophies that underpinned the otherwise creative and interesting story. I'm not saying I can only watch stories by writers with Biblical worldviews, but when writers state their opposition to Biblical truth in such clear terms, I feel I need to be very cautious about immersing myself in a world that may subtly influence my thoughts and attitudes.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Orphan Black disc 1 - why I didn't love it Empty Re: Orphan Black disc 1 - why I didn't love it

Post  Paeter June 25th 2014, 2:28 pm

Sounds like a show I would find VEEERY frustrating to sit through. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it!

www.spiritblade.com
    UKSteve
    UKSteve

Activity : 354
    Geek-Cred : 10

Orphan Black disc 1 - why I didn't love it Empty Re: Orphan Black disc 1 - why I didn't love it

Post  UKSteve June 30th 2014, 3:53 pm

I happen rather to like it... I wouldn't necessarily give it a hearty recommendation, mind; Mrs UKSteve went off it when they started playing fast and loose with biology as it relates to clones/twins, and that gets even weirder in season 2.

Also, there's some, um, 'religious' group involved that's pretty weird and cult-ish - which is ok if you're happy to see them as such and carry on with the story, but very much echoes jsweeney's concerns.

It's enjoyable escapism, but if the dubious science, even more dubious morals and all-the-religious-people-are-bad-guys approach bothers you, maybe best approached with caution.
    tmorrill
    tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Post  tmorrill June 30th 2014, 7:01 pm

I can't believe I've seen 2 posts by people who watch this show and not one mention has been made of the main actress' acting ability?!

Even with the issues that have been mentioned (and I disagree with some of them), her ability to play 5 or 6 different characters and keep them all straight (even when one is impersonating another) without going mad is nothing short of impressive.
    UKSteve
    UKSteve

Activity : 354
    Geek-Cred : 10

Post  UKSteve July 1st 2014, 2:43 pm

tmorrill wrote:her ability to play 5 or 6 different characters and keep them all straight (even when one is impersonating another) without going mad is nothing short of impressive.

Ohhhhh and I thought it was one character and her acting was all over the place... suddenly it all makes sense!

Seriously though, I was going to mention it, but I couldn't figure out how to spell Tatiana Maslany.
    tmorrill
    tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Post  tmorrill July 10th 2014, 7:21 pm

UKSteve wrote:
    Seriously though, I was going to mention it, but I couldn't figure out how to spell Tatiana Maslany.

Notice how I didn't say her name? Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 19th 2024, 9:48 am