Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+3
mindspike
Paeter
Rickster
7 posters

Listening to podcast

Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Listening to podcast Empty Listening to podcast

Post  Rickster June 25th 2014, 9:27 pm

When you discover a new podcast do you start from the beginning and catch up or do you start with the latest episode?
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Listening to podcast Empty Re: Listening to podcast

Post  Paeter June 26th 2014, 5:09 pm

Depends on the content and how interested I am. For awhile I was heavy enough into boardgames that when I started listening to The Dice Tower I started at the beginning and didn't listen to any new eps until I was caught up. Took me about a year!

Also, if it's a study podcast, like the Defenders series, you really have to listen in order to follow the logical flow of the teaching.

Otherwise, I'll just listen to the eps that interest me and then if I like the show enough I'll listen to all as they publish once I'm caught up. Did this with the Game Informer Podcast.

www.spiritblade.com
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike June 27th 2014, 12:53 pm

There are so many demands on my time these days that I pick and choose the episodes of every podcast I listen to. Even the teaching podcasts I subscribe to I only get to every other series or so.

WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy June 27th 2014, 3:37 pm

Like Paeter said, it depends for me, but most every podcast I listen to I will just start from where I pick it up. For me, most of the time the content will be outdated by going back and listening to something from two years ago.

And like Mindspike said, time is an issue. I have several podcasts I subscribe to and have to pick and choose which ones and even which episodes I listen to. I listen to all the Spirit Blade ones, of course. Smile

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate June 30th 2014, 6:47 pm

First ep of any new podcast I pick based on content, if I like it I subscribe.
    If I like it a lot, I binge-listen from the first episode. That's usually when it's very entertaining, since the content will be outdated.

Or, when I like a new comic, I'll typically find a podcast about that comic. I'll read an issue, then listen to the matching podcast episode, which then of course isn't outdated even if the podcast episodes date several years back.
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

Post  mikel.withers November 6th 2014, 3:45 pm

I am a podcast geek.
    I usually find a new podcast by listening to crossover events, where I think that either the guest or their podcast's premise sounds cool. From there, I generally visit their site, and either listen to the latest episode, or go into the archives and find a topic that interests me and see how they treat it. Then, I go to episode 1 and work my way through. (yes, I have listened to every available episode of The Scifi Christian) I will jump out of chronological order if a new episode comes out and the format is semi-interactive (such as being part of a forum).
    My biggest problem is with certain podcasts that are monthly or longer apart, and I just forget to check on them. (If Strangers and Aliens wasn't on here, I probably would have missed their latest episode)
    Even with Defenders, Paeter, you can jump in on a particular topic or series and jump around in those blocks. (although you might be at a loss as to why this one guy is monopolizing all the question time when you do that)
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter November 6th 2014, 8:40 pm

mikel.withers wrote:
    Even with Defenders, Paeter, you can jump in on a particular topic or series and jump around in those blocks. (although you might be at a loss as to why this one guy is monopolizing all the question time when you do that)

That's true. I like listening in order on that one though, since he's attempting to systematically build a theology.

www.spiritblade.com
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

Post  mikel.withers November 6th 2014, 10:19 pm

I had listened to all the Reasonable Faith podcasts, watched his debates, and read a couple of his books before I got to Defenders, so I was just looking for particulars, at that point.
    rossmcclure4

Activity : 78
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  rossmcclure4 November 13th 2014, 5:41 am

Never heard of "Defenders", just googled it. I've seen some of his videos (I think thanks to NJN) Looks like you guys just gave me a cool new podcast to listen to. Thank you! Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 19th 2024, 10:39 am