Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+2
CreatorsPixels
Dunadwarf
6 posters

When YOURS is the minority opinion...

Dunadwarf
    Dunadwarf

Activity : 218
    Geek-Cred : 5

When YOURS is the minority opinion... Empty When YOURS is the minority opinion...

Post  Dunadwarf August 21st 2014, 5:26 pm

What are some movies you like that most others tend to hate or vice versa? I know lots of fans with lots of variance, and personally speaking, the only ones that get me really mad are the ones who act like disagreeing with them makes you stupid or lame or something. So, all that garbage aside, let's celebrate the stuff we see value in that most people use as bywords and the things that make us wonder just what it is that most people see in this thing you can't even begin to stand.
    For me:
    I enjoyed the "Lost in Space" movie and "I, Robot", probably because I don't know the material from which they were derived, and I liked the movies as stand-alones.
    Though I readily acknowledge the flaws of the Star Wars prequels (I can probably find flaws others don't know about, for that matter), I overall still enjoy them.
    I'm the only one I know who feels this way, but...I could not STAND "The Blues Brothers". I tried, I really did, but that movie just grated on every nerve I have!

Just a few examples. What are some of yours?
    CreatorsPixels
    CreatorsPixels

Activity : 236
    Geek-Cred : 8

When YOURS is the minority opinion... Empty Re: When YOURS is the minority opinion...

Post  CreatorsPixels August 22nd 2014, 9:19 am

You know, I've always liked the Transformers movies (granted this last one wasn't as good). I've never understood the hate for them. Sure they aren't perfect but sweet cars turning into giant robots!! I mean come on! Then again I didn't expect any life altering thought provoking profound revelation from them, just a good time!

I also never hated all the new Star Wars movies, not even Jar-Jar!! Sure they are different, its been 30 years hello!! And while Jar-Jar is out of the norm a bit you gotta believe that if there are innumerable worlds and evolved lifeforms, there are gonna be a few goofy ones! Anyway once again I was content just to have more interesting action and stories in the Star Wars universe, I was willing to look past differences.

It really comes down to what you expect. Nobody really reads Playboy for the high quality well written though provoking articles (or so I'm told, honestly no experience here just making a generalization).......and I doubt you should go into Transformers, Pacific Rim, Godzilla or Ninja Turtles with much more expectation! Wink
    Tim
    Tim

Activity : 258
    Geek-Cred : 4

When YOURS is the minority opinion... Empty Re: When YOURS is the minority opinion...

Post  Tim August 22nd 2014, 11:06 pm

I too loved the "Lost in Space" movie. I even had a making of book. I was very into the production design of that movie and it informed a lot of my art during that time of my life. I also really liked the first Transformers movie. I was a huge fan of all 3 Star Wars Prequel movies. The first one had me and my friends watching the special features on the dvds and building our own stunt lightsabers and choreagraphing whole fights.

I also really really liked the Ben Affleck Daredevil movie. At the time I walked out of that movie and said, "Now why can't they make a good Batman movie?"

I know I'm in the minority on this but I actually like Batman Begins BETTER than The Dark Knight.

A shameful minority but I absolutely love Bollywood movies. I can't explain why but I just love it.

I also can't stand Harry Potter and I have a hard time getting into the Matt Smith Doctor Who.

I also thought the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy movie was hilarious and brilliant.

I can't stand Will Ferrel save for a few SNL skits and the same goes for Adam Sandler.

I actually really liked all the Stargate TV shows, SG1, Atlantis, and Universe. Don't really like the movie though, but my wife and my best friend do.

...and I think that's it for now.

><> ><> ><> <>< ><> ><>
    Be BOLD

PS 144:1
    1COR 4:20

><>
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington August 23rd 2014, 3:51 pm

I love I,Robot! It is one of my favorite Will Smith movies!

I also really like X-Men Origins Wolverine and don't really understand the hate towards it.

I don't understand why 300 is as big as it is. I like what they did visually, but there's not much story or interesting characterization to it.

I can't stand Batman Returns. I like Batman and Robin more.

There's more... Smile
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike August 23rd 2014, 4:02 pm

I love nearly everything the Asylum has done in the past few years:

Sharknado
    AE Apocalypse Earth
    Hercules Reborn
    Android Cop
    Age of Tomorrow
    Mega Shark vs Mecha Shark
    2-Headed Shark Attack
    Abraham Lincoln vs Zombies
    Nazis from the Center of the Earth

The list goes on and on. These movies are commonly derided and looked down upon, but I love them. Not only have many of them provided hours of enjoyment for my friends, but several of them are superior to the movies they mockbust, and a stand out few are quality works of art.

What movies do I hate that others seem to love? Chances are if David Goyer, JJ Abrams, or Michael Bay is attached to the film, then I'm in the hater camp. That includes the recent Batman and Superman films, Transformers, and Star Trek. Somehow, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance remains watchable (Goyer wrote the script) but I attribute that to Neveldine and Taylor's directing.

Plus, I can't remember the last time I saw a comedy that didn't go out of it's way to offend me on personal and intentional levels....

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter August 25th 2014, 9:52 am

I think me and possibly Mindspike are the only ones in the world who really enjoyed Sucker Punch. (A rare bit of shared taste between us worth celebrating!)

I've always really enjoyed Superman 3.
    Dungeons and Dragons: Wrath Of The Dragon God scratches some special itches for me, though it's no great film.
    Aside from the cartoon claws I also really enjoy X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content