Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Miles Morales (Ultimate Spider-Man)

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Miles Morales (Ultimate Spider-Man) Empty Miles Morales (Ultimate Spider-Man)

Post  Paeter August 26th 2014, 3:46 pm

Just bought another round of Ultimate Marvel TPBs and am being introduced to Miles Morales, Peter Parker's recent replacement in the Ultimate Marvel Universe.

When i first heard of this character I planned on ditching the book as soon as he became the lead. It smelled of empty, PC demographic box-checking. But now that I've started to read his story I'm thinking i may grow to like him. He's written well, which is all i care about. If they want to check some boxes along the way, fine by me.

He has some of Peter's insecurity, which I think Spider-Man needs. he also has the banter going on, although it seems a bit out of character. (He doesn't banter the same way out of costume, and I think Peter did a bit more so.)

What he does better than Peter is represent the reader. He knows about superheroes and how cool they are, but when it comes down to it he doesn't want to really BE one himself! The power fantasy is fun and all, but the responsibility to use those powers, putting yourself in constant danger. Miles went in an alley and vomited after he saved somebody for the first time! (I think I'd do the same thing, and would probably be crying through a nervous breakdown, too!)

I'm only halfway through Miles' first storyline, but I'm already invested! I would love for Peter to return someday. But I think I might be just fine even if that day is very far off. One thing I initially disliked and am now beginning to appreciate is Marvel's decisions to take the Ultimate Universe in directions wildly different from the mainstream Marvel universe. They are doing things in these books that would be harder to do in the main universe without complete backlash from fans. It does require some flexibility on the part of fans who love the marvel U, but the reward is a universe that truly develops and changes over time, rather than mostly cycling through seasons that go in and out of status quo. Consider me interested!

(Though I think I still want Logan back...)

www.spiritblade.com

Current date/time is May 19th 2024, 11:12 am