Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

If not for that ooooone part...

Dunadwarf
    Dunadwarf

Activity : 218
    Geek-Cred : 5

If not for that ooooone part... Empty If not for that ooooone part...

Post  Dunadwarf September 9th 2014, 5:04 pm

What movies are, for you, nearly perfect except for that little scene or concept or character that...just...drags...everything...down?
    Inversely (I like dichotomies, if you haven't noticed), what movies do you think are pretty bad, but do have one or two redeeming elements?

For me, I wish they'd left Olaf out of "Frozen". Frankly everyone but the sisters could have been left out as far as I'm concerned, but especially that...thing. Made every scene he was in significantly worse and does nothing of value in the story but explain the obvious to Anna/the audience.

"Batman & Robin" was a gaudy waste of good characters and ideas, but I have to admit that the Bruce/Alfred scenes, where he's facing losing the only family he has left, and just as helplessly as when he watched his parents die, was really well done.

Last edited by Dunadwarf on September 10th 2014, 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

If not for that ooooone part... Empty Re: If not for that ooooone part...

Post  Paeter September 9th 2014, 8:31 pm

Clooney DID have a solid Bruce Wayne, I'll say that.

Love Zack Snyder movies like 300, and Watchmen. Don't love the unnecessary sex/nudity portions.

Love Kick-Ass. Nearly perfect experience for me. But the sexual body humor/etc. keeps it out of the stratosphere for me.

Increasingly have trouble viewing Star Wars Ep.1, but the lightsaber duel at the end still looks pretty decent.

www.spiritblade.com
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike September 10th 2014, 5:20 pm

Dunadwarf wrote:For me, I wish they'd left Olaf out of "Frozen". Frankly everyone but the sisters could have been left out as far as I'm concerned, but especially that...thing. Made every scene he was in significantly worse and does nothing of value in the story but explain the obvious to Anna/the audience.

I had the same initial reaction, but upon repeat viewing I think I can make a decent argument for the character.

1) You and I may find the subtext of the movie obvious, but the intended audience is not likely to have the same breadth of experience or education. Olaf serves to let a younger audience appreciate the subtext.

2) Olaf is an effective foil for Anna, allowing her to both grow up and retain the innocence of childhood.

3) Olaf lightens what could have been an unrelentingly grim tale. It gives us a source of humor without turning any of the dramatic characters into buffoons. His behavior is childlike without being juvenile.

That's why I changed my opinion of the character.

My vote in this category goes to..... good gravy this is tough. Most of my problems with movies are systemic to the whole thing rather than something I can isolate. I'll think about this some more, but my initial reaction is:

2-Headed Shark Attack - the perfect shark attack / creature feature / cast elimination flick spoiled by a single scene where two girls go topless and make out with each other, thus ensuring I will never be able to watch it with my kids.

On the other side of things:

Justice League: the Flashpoint Paradox turns my heroes into everything I don't want them to become: selfish, foul-mouthed, murderous, lecherous demigods without any redeeming qualities. But... it explained the concept of a "time-boom". I liked that.

Dunadwarf

Activity : 218
    Geek-Cred : 5

Post  Dunadwarf September 10th 2014, 5:22 pm

mindspike wrote:Justice League: the Flashpoint Paradox turns my heroes into everything I don't want them to become: selfish, foul-mouthed, murderous, lecherous demigods without any redeeming qualities.
    I hear that!
    Dreamerhorwitz
    Dreamerhorwitz

Activity : 77
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  Dreamerhorwitz September 20th 2014, 9:20 pm

Boy Ido have one!

I saw a comedy mocumentary(fake documentary) called "American Zombie." The concept, for the most part, was pretty good, and I can stand a couple hundred bad jokes to reach the point. Then the reveal. Oh boy. The reveal.
    Turns out the zombies were using social justice as a front for world takeover. Question Question Question

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 19th 2024, 3:16 am