Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+2
Rohelf
Paeter
6 posters

Me and the Sea

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Me and the Sea Empty Me and the Sea

Post  Paeter August 29th 2010, 6:46 pm

So I'm hanging at a beach house with my in-laws this week and having a good time, even though I'm no fan of the beach. In fact, at this moment everyone else is at the beach while I'm here at the house on my laptop, though I'll probably go sometime this week.

My wife overheard me playing Baldur's Gate yesterday and heard some "ocean sounds" coming from the laptop. And she was like, "See, you're going to the beach after all!" To which I agreed and pointed out the superiority of my "digital beach" to the real one. (Doesn't stink, no saltwater in nose or eyes or sand in shoes.)

I do sometimes enjoy walking along ankle deep in the waves, but I'm not one who will miss having a sea when God recreates the earth. (Revelation 21:1) Wink

Oh, and here's a bit of trivia. Gotham City is located in New Jersey in the DC universe. I wonder if there is a real world analog nearby I could visit? Maybe get some pictures of me being mugged...

www.spiritblade.com
    Rohelf
    Rohelf

Activity : 142
    Geek-Cred : 0

Me and the Sea Empty Re: Me and the Sea

Post  Rohelf August 30th 2010, 10:12 am

Wait- what? There's not going to be an ocean on the new earth? Shocked But if there's no sea, that means there's nowhere for sea-dwelling creatures to live, and that means no catching them for seafood. And that simply can't be right. God wouldn't take away some of the most delicious creatures He invented and call that paradise. Just... no! No

(Seriously, I can understand why God put a ban on shellfish in the OT because there are few things worse than eating ones that have gone "off," but now we have carte blanche to eat what we like, plus the wonders of refrigeration so that even us landocked folk can enjoy. Why mess with a good thing?)
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter August 30th 2010, 5:28 pm

Yeah, I put the wink face in there because, if I remember correctly, the "no sea" reference may not be literal, but may refer to death, since at the time John wrote the book, the sea was thought of as a massive deathtrap that took more lives than anything else. Don't quote me on that, as I haven't done a serious study of the book yet. But ocean lovers may not need to worry. Very Happy

If you're burning with curiosity and want to dig deeper on this one, feel free to strike up a new topic over at "Seeking Truth"! I'm sure by uniting our geeky powers we can get some more insight on it. Very Happy

www.spiritblade.com
    vagabond
    vagabond

Activity : 40
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  vagabond August 31st 2010, 10:05 pm

Do you seriously not like the beach, or is it just fear of the jellyfish?
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter September 1st 2010, 11:07 am

vagabond wrote:Do you seriously not like the beach, or is it just fear of the jellyfish?

My dislike for the beach came first, but Jellyfish(and other unknown sea creatures) sure helped. Don't like the smell or the sand getting everywhere.

I got in the water some on Monday, so it's not a crippling fear or anything like that. Just really don't care for it. Wink

www.spiritblade.com

Post  Guest September 1st 2010, 11:48 pm

You don't like the beach!? Shocked Boggles the mind. You must be going to the wrong beaches. Go to the right beaches!
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter September 2nd 2010, 11:59 am

Desert Kris wrote:You don't like the beach!? Shocked Boggles the mind. You must be going to the wrong beaches. Go to the right beaches!

Partially true, actually. I prefer lake beaches to ocean beaches. Though I'm still not a fan of beaches. I'd rather be jet-skiing than sitting on the shore.

www.spiritblade.com
    Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  Hackmodford September 3rd 2010, 9:56 am

You should come up here to Lake Michigan... Now that's a beach Cool

But honestly I can't compare it to the ocean because I've never been there Sad

Me and the Sea UntoldAlliancesJPG1_Resized

Goozex: Trade Videogames and save money!
    UKSteve
    UKSteve

Activity : 354
    Geek-Cred : 10

Post  UKSteve September 6th 2010, 11:55 am

Hackmodford wrote:I can't compare it to the ocean because I've never been there Sad
    Now sentences like that boggle my little island-dwelling brain! But you're probably at least the length of this island away from the coast, so I guess it's not that weird really!
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike September 6th 2010, 2:16 pm

You absolutely have to get to the right beaches, dude.
    The Great Lakes, Corpus Christie, Tybee Island....
    I know for a fact that the new earth will have beaches and oceans, because God loves me.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 15th 2024, 2:18 am