Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

DC Comics Continuity

Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

DC Comics Continuity Empty DC Comics Continuity

Post  Nathan James Norman August 10th 2015, 7:19 am

I'm a little behind on this, but a few weeks ago Paeter mentioned on the podcast about how core-continuity was affected by the recent Convergence event in the DC Universe.

Newsrama has an interview with Dan Didio in two parts.
    Here: http://www.newsarama.com/25288-infinite-earths-dan-didio-describes-post-convergence-dcu.html
    And Here: http://www.newsarama.com/25304-dan-didio-part-2-how-the-dcu-is-like-concentric-circles.html

In a nutshell:
    - The New 52 is no more (sort of).
    - They are now refering to their publications as the DC YOU
    - Convergence undid the events of Crisis on Infinite Earths
    - Now any story from any iteration of the DC characters can be told.
    - But there will be a "core continuity" (Earth Prime) that seems to be following the New 52 stories set-up
    - Their titles will not be as interconnected.

I see what they're trying to do. It's still pretty confusing.
    Dreamerhorwitz
    Dreamerhorwitz

Activity : 77
    Geek-Cred : 4

DC Comics Continuity Empty Re: DC Comics Continuity

Post  Dreamerhorwitz August 10th 2015, 11:03 am

This seems like a better play than "reset the universe every couple of years," so no complaints here.
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Post  Nathan James Norman August 10th 2015, 7:45 pm

Dreamerhorwitz wrote:This seems like a better play than "reset the universe every couple of years," so no complaints here.

I agree...
    ...but I'm assuming the universe will get reset sooner or later Razz
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter August 13th 2015, 10:33 am

I have trouble trusting DiDio. In my experience, he acts as "Spin Doctor" for DC publishing and I often associate his face and words with damage control. This interview didn't change that impression for me.

First comment is for the new "DCYou" brand title. This fits right in with my impression that DC is scrambling to please fans but not really knowing how outside of mostly checking off lists of requests trumpeted by the loudest voices. I think they are severely lacking in having their OWN vision for the DCU that will be genuinely solid and grow readership. This brand name is more of an advertisement strategy. "It's all about you, the consumer." "You DESERVE this." "You're entitled." I feel like I'm being sold a product more than I am being offered a world to explore.

Now some quotes and comments-

DiDio: Is it loose continuity or is it tight continuity? Is it going for diversity or is it going for the core line? My answer to all of that is going to be yes! We're going for it all!

That SOUNDS nice, but it's a spin-doctor answer, or a (possibly) foolish plan. Right now their universe lacks definition and focus. So trying to "do it all" could really backfire on them.

DiDio: So what we're trying to do right now, by diversifying our line, is to find the different styles and tones that people are really reacting to.

This all but confirms my suspicions that DC is severely lost right now in trying to figure out their audience. With New 52 they gave readers what DC THOUGHT they wanted, or what readers THOUGHT they wanted. But it didn't take off and they meanwhile threw that baby right out with the bathwater. More than ever they seem to be shuffling in the dark with hands stretched out in front of them.

DiDio: You know, the goal behind Multiversity Too is, each of those stories will have a really clear point of view, and will present our characters working off the core sensibility but exploring them in a way we haven't seen them before.

The problem is that with the New 52, the "core sensibility" was wiped out, and continues to be missing. Look at Superman, their flagship character. What the crap is HIS "core sensibility" right now? He never smiles, has no secret identity, his powers are drastically reduced and he apparently beats people up until his fists are bloody. Yep. Sounds just like Superman to me! (WHAAAAAT????)

Hopefully (for me, selfishly of course) this new direction will tank quickly and DC will reboot quickly and cleanly this time, without drastic changes to who these characters historically have been. But I think they will stubbornly try to convince readers, and themselves, that this change is great for at least 3-5 more years.

I agree that a reset is inevitable. I hope new leadership is as well.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 26th 2024, 1:21 pm