Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

Anyone seen "The Expendables"?

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Anyone seen "The Expendables"? Empty Anyone seen "The Expendables"?

Post  Paeter August 29th 2010, 6:49 pm

Not the type of movie I review, but the type I like to see now and then. And we might have a "guys night out" while I'm on vacation this week. Can anyone give this movie a thumbs up or thumbs down? (No Spoilers, please.)

www.spiritblade.com
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Anyone seen "The Expendables"? Empty Re: Anyone seen "The Expendables"?

Post  mindspike August 31st 2010, 5:54 pm

I have to give this one a "thumbs sideways".

We went to see this when it opened, jazzed about all the old school action heroes. I have to say, Sly loves his close-ups. That camera is always on close-up. I have now memorized every crater and wrinkle in Stallone's and Statham's faces. Wouldn't be so bad, but every single action scene is shot from a free-cam/handy-cam at - you guessed it - extreme close range. After a point, I simply gave up trying to follow the action.

On the positive side, we get at least one great character moment with each one of the guys. The hardware they use is impressive, and they do work to get maximum benefit from their toys.

If you're okay with the extreme close-ups on the action, some coarse (but not abusive) language, and perhaps a tiny bit more splatter than strictly necessary, this ought to make an excellent popcorn flick. If you read books like the Stony Man series, you can expect a similar experience from The Expendables.

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter September 1st 2010, 11:09 am

mindspike wrote:I have to give this one a "thumbs sideways".

We went to see this when it opened, jazzed about all the old school action heroes. I have to say, Sly loves his close-ups. That camera is always on close-up. I have now memorized every crater and wrinkle in Stallone's and Statham's faces. Wouldn't be so bad, but every single action scene is shot from a free-cam/handy-cam at - you guessed it - extreme close range. After a point, I simply gave up trying to follow the action.

On the positive side, we get at least one great character moment with each one of the guys. The hardware they use is impressive, and they do work to get maximum benefit from their toys.

If you're okay with the extreme close-ups on the action, some coarse (but not abusive) language, and perhaps a tiny bit more splatter than strictly necessary, this ought to make an excellent popcorn flick. If you read books like the Stony Man series, you can expect a similar experience from The Expendables.

Great to get your take on it! Thanks, Winston! No firm plans to see a movie yet, but I'll let you know if we see it!

Thanks again!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 26th 2024, 5:25 pm