Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

5 posters

What Are Your Plans For Halloween?

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

What Are Your Plans For Halloween? Empty What Are Your Plans For Halloween?

Post  Paeter October 14th 2015, 9:29 am

Anyone already have a costume in mind, some movies they'll watch, some fiction they'll read or some games they'll play? Any special parties or activities you're looking forward to?

These days I feel like I don't have the time and energy to throw myself into Halloween, and can summon just enough energy to help my boys Trick or Treat. The last few years I've told myself I'd watch something scary or play a horror-themed board game or do a little horror themed game session or live stream. But so far it hasn't happened.

Before kids we used to have other young adults over to play a game of "Zombies" or watch a favorite horror movie.

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

What Are Your Plans For Halloween? Empty Re: What Are Your Plans For Halloween?

Post  Rickster October 14th 2015, 1:23 pm

Don't you know Christians shouldn't go trick or treating? Because it gives kids candy and if kids eat too much candy they become the spawns of the devil so it's evil EVIL I say.

Ok joking aside I was thinking about trying a 13 hour stream of the Haunted Mansion ps2 game but having a hard time getting my ps2 to work with my Game capture hardware so if I can fix the problem then I might do that
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter October 15th 2015, 8:42 am

Rickster wrote: having a hard time getting my ps2 to work with my Game capture hardware so if I can fix the problem then I might do that

You're using the Roxio HD, right? Shoot me an e-mail if you want to compare troubleshooting notes. I had similar trouble. That was ultimately the reason I started looking for a replacement, since I like and still play PS2 quite a bit.

www.spiritblade.com
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Post  Nathan James Norman October 15th 2015, 7:09 pm

Nothing too crazy planned.
    I'm releasing some horror themed stories on the Untold Podcast.
    And the Sunday before Halloween (not a church holiday) I'm preaching a first-person sermon... from the perspective of the man possessed by Legion.
    Rickster
    Rickster

Post  Rickster October 15th 2015, 8:41 pm

Nathan James Norman wrote: I'm preaching a first-person sermon... from the perspective of the man possessed by Legion.

After the service will you be serving Deviled Ham?
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Post  Nathan James Norman October 16th 2015, 10:12 am

Rickster wrote:

After the service will you be serving Deviled Ham?

Hahaha!!! We should! lol!
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter October 16th 2015, 3:10 pm

Nathan James Norman wrote: I'm preaching a first-person sermon... from the perspective of the man possessed by Legion.

Dude that sounds really interesting! Remind me, which other figures have you featured in that format on a Sunday morning?

www.spiritblade.com
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Post  Nathan James Norman October 16th 2015, 6:00 pm

Thank you.

Off the top of my head:

Darius (Daniel and the Lion's Den)
    Jonathan (1 Sam 14)
    Abinadab (Jesse's second son... David and Goliath)
    Abraham (The Sacrifice of Isaac)
    Centurion present at the crucifixion
    Peter (the denial and restoration)
    Paul (the road to Damascus)
    King Herod
    A Shepherd (the birth of Christ)
    Old Simeon (the birth/presentation of Christ)
    Thomas (the doubting Thomas scene)
    Barabbas

I have one on Elijah vs. the prophets of Baal coming in November (very R Rated)
    And I believe I'll be a Magi for this Christmas.

When done right, these are extremely effective and emotional sermons.
    I've also been flabbergasted that people actually get scarred of Goliath, or the Philistines, etc.. I've had people tell me they almost had to leave because it was too intense. And usually the really intense stuff comes right from the text.
    All of this to say: the Bible contains some of the best crafted stories ever. It is literature that captivates the emotions of human experience very well.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter October 19th 2015, 4:14 pm

Wow, very cool!

Nathan James Norman wrote:
    I have one on Elijah vs. the prophets of Baal coming in November (very R Rated)

R, huh? You going topless for this or cutting an eye out or something? How many F-bombs are you allocated if you warn your congregation of the rating in advance?

www.spiritblade.com
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Post  Nathan James Norman October 19th 2015, 5:09 pm

Paeter wrote:

R, huh? You going topless for this or cutting an eye out or something? How many F-bombs are you allocated if you warn your congregation of the rating in advance?

Heh. Nothing like that... but here's what makes it R (and the congregation will be warned well in advanced with alternative to the service).

Baal worship proliferated largely because of its religious requirements. Baal was the god of the storm and thus, the god of crops. Baal worshipers believed if they needed rain to help their crops, the only way to do so was to entice Baal into ejaculating upon the earth (yes... they thought this was rain... and yes... ewwwwwwwww).

In order to get Baal to do this, they staged massive orgies. The sexual deviance and physical abuse that happened at these things was incredible. They believed it needed to rise to this level in order to arouse this false god.

Naturally the resulting children were often sacrificed to Baal.

So, no f-bombs, no actual nudity, or physical portrayals of violence. But I think the description rises to an R rating Surprised
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

Post  mikel.withers October 22nd 2015, 12:05 pm

For Halloween, I'll be waiting until November 1 and buying a lot of half-priced candy.
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Post  Nathan James Norman October 22nd 2015, 12:17 pm

mikel.withers wrote:For Halloween, I'll be waiting until November 1 and buying a lot of half-priced candy.
    Bing! Winner!
    Twisted Evil
    Rickster
    Rickster

Post  Rickster October 22nd 2015, 12:30 pm

mikel.withers wrote:For Halloween, I'll be waiting until November 1 and buying a lot of half-priced candy.

Whenever someone talks about Halloween candy this comes to my mind

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter October 26th 2015, 10:26 am

[quote="Nathan James Norman"]
    Paeter wrote:
    Baal worship proliferated largely because of its religious requirements. Baal was the god of the storm and thus, the god of crops. Baal worshipers believed if they needed rain to help their crops, the only way to do so was to entice Baal into ejaculating upon the earth (yes... they thought this was rain... and yes... ewwwwwwwww).

So, no f-bombs, no actual nudity, or physical portrayals of violence. But I think the description rises to an R rating Surprised

Oh my gosh yes! When I first read that in a historical commentary I thought I HAD to be misunderstanding something. Nasty!

Wow, have fun! What's the alternative? Watching Superbook and Flying House in the nursery? (Three cheers for Christian anime! They get geek entertainment either way they go!)

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter October 26th 2015, 10:29 am

Your discipline is impressive. I try to disguise it a little by attempting to master the art of buying JUST enough candy so that I barely open the bag of stuff I like (the cheap candy is given out first for most of the evening) before the night runs out of kids.

A holiday season tradition for me post-thanksgiving is opening the window at night (when it's FINALLY cool enough to do so in AZ), light a candle and eat leftover Halloween candy while playing video games in my office. Good times are coming!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter October 26th 2015, 10:32 am

Rickster wrote:

Whenever someone talks about Halloween candy this comes to my mind

Dude that's awesome. Snick-a-loaf! A new holiday tradition!

www.spiritblade.com
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Post  Nathan James Norman October 26th 2015, 12:46 pm

Paeter wrote:

Oh my gosh yes! When I first read that in a historical commentary I thought I HAD to be misunderstanding something. Nasty!

Wow, have fun! What's the alternative? Watching Superbook and Flying House in the nursery? (Three cheers for Christian anime! They get geek entertainment either way they go!)

I've actually been amazed at how many commentaries shy away from the details: "Baal worship involved sexual practices and was really, really, bad and made God really, really mad."

I think superbook might be a kick-awesome alternative!
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate November 1st 2015, 12:21 pm

As a Dutch person who hasn't grown up in a culture that celebrates Halloween, I find its symbolism not very enticing, and the home decorations downright ugly. All those skulls, spiders, ravens, monsters, tied to a All Hallow's Eve, not my cup of tea. And even from an esthetical perspective definitely not something I would adorn myself or my house with.

But of course I can only look at it as a cultural outsider. Wink
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 3rd 2015, 10:34 am

ComiKate wrote:As a Dutch person who hasn't grown up in a culture that celebrates Halloween, I find its symbolism not very enticing, and the home decorations downright ugly. All those skulls, spiders, ravens, monsters, tied to a All Hallow's Eve, not my cup of tea. And even from an esthetical perspective definitely not something I would adorn myself or my house with.

But of course I can only look at it as a cultural outsider. Wink
    That's us crazy American's for you. Hmm. That suddenly makes me wonder, do the Japanese celebrate Halloween? They invented Cosplay, right? Or is that from America?

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 12th 2024, 11:20 am