Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Which console should I get?

UKSteve
    UKSteve

Activity : 354
    Geek-Cred : 10

Which console should I get? Empty Which console should I get?

Post  UKSteve October 25th 2015, 4:57 am

I'm totally not a gamer in any modern sense - the most current console in our house is an original PlayStation! - but with kids being too impatient to wait for games to load up on my ZX Spectrum, it seems like Christmas might be time to upgrade.

And knowing that there are gamers here - and that your replies are bound to confuse at least as much as they help - what should we go for, PS4, XBox or Wii U? Or the budget option of the previous XBox/PlayStation generation - is that as bad an idea as it seems, for longevity?

Something with games suitable for a 4 year old and a 10 year old - and the whole family if possible - and some decent driving games for me Smile

Love to get the opinions of more seasoned gamers!

Dreamerhorwitz
    Dreamerhorwitz

Activity : 77
    Geek-Cred : 4

Which console should I get? Empty Re: Which console should I get?

Post  Dreamerhorwitz October 25th 2015, 1:48 pm

My advice is to go with taste, since modern consoles are going in that direction, now.
    All of the Sony consoles are keeping to their Japanese roots (except PS3) while Xbox is going with an action feel and the Wii U is trying to stay to the family-friendly route as best they can.
    Does this help any?
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter October 26th 2015, 11:47 am

That's a really tough question right now. The puzzle is that you're looking for a family console with longevity. Pretty much ALL consoles become more family oriented near the end of their life-cycle, as the price goes down and becomes more accessible to family budgets. But if, by "longevity" you want a console that will keep up with the latest releases and beyond, you won't want something at the end of its life cycle.

Normally, I'd point you to a Nintendo console. But the Wii isn't getting new games... and neither is the Wii U, really. (Nintendo makes games for the Wii U console, but almost no one else does.) This may be set to change entirely with Nintendo's new console, which they will be unveiling this coming summer. But it won't go on sale until probably next fall at the earliest, and there are still too many unknowns to recommend it. So that's no help if you want to upgrade this Christmas.

If by "longevity" you just mean a console that there will be plenty of games available to play on it for years and years to come, than the Wii, Xbox 360 or PS3 are each good choices. In which case I'd recommend googling "Best (insert your preferred game type here) video games" and following that rabbit how for a bit until you have an idea of where you will find the types of games you and your kids are likely to enjoy. There is a lot of crossover (I think Minecraft will even play on microwaves now) so it's hard to "lose" in this scenario. Unless you don't like the idea of waving your arms around while playing games. (Many Wii games are motion controlled.)

Feel free to give us more specifics on your preferences! I for one am happy to share my love of video games and help others discover their own!

www.spiritblade.com
    UKSteve
    UKSteve

Post  UKSteve October 26th 2015, 4:52 pm

Hadn't realised that about the Wii U not getting much in the way of new games, that might be worth remembering, although I can't see us wanting to keep up with new releases all that much (with the exception of Lego Dimensions Smile ) so maybe that's not such an issue if there's a back catalogue waiting for us to sample!

Having said that, I don't want to get, say, a PS3 because it's cheaper and then find there are no games available a couple of months down the line - that's the kind of longevity I'm after, although I guess second hand games are easier to come by for those too. (Now I'm starting to sound like I don't want to spend any money!)

I think I may have to start by figuring out what the youngest will get the most out of, and see how well that suits the rest of us...
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 3rd 2015, 10:21 am

UKSteve wrote:
    I think I may have to start by figuring out what the youngest will get the most out of, and see how well that suits the rest of us...

If they like Youtube videos (our boys watch the same Let's Plays of Portal 1 & 2 repeatedly, also some Mario stuff) that could be a good heads up. Have fun with your search!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1759
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings November 3rd 2015, 5:37 pm

I think it depends a lot on what first-party exclusive games you are most interested in. (Man I hate exclusivity in all its forms).

I bought a PS3 a while back, and was excited to be at the forefront of gaming for the first time since being a teenager, then a year or two later the PS4 came out. I was so disappointed. It wouldn't be long before I'd have to start missing out on games because they were being made only for newer systems.

Both next-gen consoles are still probably new enough that you'll remain at the forefront for a reasonable time, but I think the key is to accept that eventually whatever you buy will be surpassed (and probably sooner than you'd like).
    UKSteve
    UKSteve

Post  UKSteve November 23rd 2015, 11:14 am

Well, we've gone with the Wii U in the end - there's going to be far more family gaming time than anything else, so it was the sensible option in the end.

Hmm.... maybe I'll be writing family game reviews soon!
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 23rd 2015, 11:39 am

UKSteve wrote:Well, we've gone with the Wii U in the end - there's going to be far more family gaming time than anything else, so it was the sensible option in the end.

Hmm.... maybe I'll be writing family game reviews soon!
    Woohoo! That would rock! Congrats on the purchase! You've got a tone of fun ahead of you, I'll bet!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 19th 2024, 12:53 am