Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Playstation TV (Is It Finally Worth It?)

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Playstation TV (Is It Finally Worth It?) Empty Playstation TV (Is It Finally Worth It?)

Post  Paeter December 16th 2015, 1:32 pm

I just took the plunge and ordered a Playstation TV, which despite the name is not a TV. It's a little box you attach to a TV to play PS1, PSP and PS Vita games on it using a PS3 or PS4 controller and a Vita Memory Card.

I had the Vita memory card and PS4 controllers, and Amazon is selling it as a stand alone product for just under $40. When it launched it was over $100 and had pathetically few games compatible with it. But the current list includes all but one of my Vita games and nearly all of the PS1, PSP and Vita games I might want to buy. It also allows me to play the PS1(digital), PSP and Vita(digital) games I've already purchased on the PS TV.

I'll be getting it to play with over my vacation, so I haven't experienced it yet, but the idea of playing my digital PS1, PSP and Vita games on a TV screen is pretty frickin' exciting for me.

If you're starting from scratch on Amazon the Price break down is roughly:

$20 or less for 1 PS3 controller
    $40 for PS TV
    $20 for 8gb memory card

You can get much larger memory cards, but you'll pay the price. And if you're mainly playing PS1 and PSP games on the system, like I am, it's plenty of room. (I've got six games on mine and haven't used much more than half my memory.)

And most of the PSP and PS1 games are CHEEEEP! Enough so that it is totally worth it to me to re-purchase some games I already have on disc just for the convenience (I have to tinker with my PS2 to make it play PS1 games now) and the HD signal.

Man, first the PS4, then a Vita and now this. I think I'm officially a card-carrying Playstation fanboy now. (Oh Microsoft, you never should have burned me with your weak warranty and "Open Tray" errors.)

Anyone else getting or considering a playstation TV? What would make it worth it to you?

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Playstation TV (Is It Finally Worth It?) Empty Re: Playstation TV (Is It Finally Worth It?)

Post  Paeter December 29th 2015, 12:09 am

Just an update as I'm here in Pennsylvania on vacation and using my Playstation TV to play Fallout 4... on my PS4 which I left back home in Arizona!

To be fair, i'm using a wired connection in both locations and there is still about a half second lag, which for most any action game will be unacceptable. But I spent about an hour just now building settlements in Fallout and also played around with one of my more turn-based RPGs last night and the delay can be adjusted to for those types of experiences.

I think what I'm enjoying most about it though is the ability to play my Vita games on a hi-def TV. (Playing some Final Fantasy Origins right now.)

That's all to report for now! Back to vacation!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Playstation TV (Is It Finally Worth It?) Empty Re: Playstation TV (Is It Finally Worth It?)

Post  Paeter January 6th 2016, 2:18 pm

Vacation done and still excited about the PS TV! The one downside right now is the copy protection that it won't allow me to turn off. This means until I buy an HDMI splitter or find another workaround I won't be able to stream or record gameplay from the PS TV. Should have it solved before it become prohibitive, but still a bit lame in the meantime.

Getting caught up again with the God of War series and really enjoying it!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 29th 2024, 10:52 am