Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Inspiration

mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

Inspiration Empty Inspiration

Post  mikel.withers March 1st 2016, 10:58 am

I just got a Chromebook 2 so I can focus on writing, and I think I hit a psychological down cycle.
    I'm just so uninspired and just blah. Neutral

Over the last several weeks I've been having an ongoing conversation with an apologist for the Unification Church (Moonies) and now I'm answering challenges from a skeptic friend from my high school days.
    There is nothing really challenging about either conversation, but trying to break things down over and over is just wearisome. In fact, the lack of depth of their challenges is troublesome in itself as my focus wanders and it is hard to stay on point, whereas some of the more thoughtful conversations I've had with skeptics can be invigorating. (and a source for at least one of my stories)

Still, onward and upward, right? Keep putting words on paper screen and hoping something falls into place. bom
    -maybe emojis will make me feel more upbeat-elephant
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Inspiration Empty Re: Inspiration

Post  Paeter March 1st 2016, 11:35 am

Do your stories have an apologetics elements to them? 

What do you usually find creatively inspiring? I sometimes get motivated (though not always inspired) after going to a live concert, even if its an artist I don't like. And good movies or books (games not as often) can be creative fuel for me.

www.spiritblade.com
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers March 2nd 2016, 2:45 pm

Do your stories have an apologetics elements to them?
    Most of the ones I've been comfortable submitting have, but I don't think they have to by any means. Or, to put it another way: I am happy to put forward a theological or apologetic based story, but I am also happy putting forward a story that does not have those as a basis, but adds enjoyment to someone's life.

Because I really want to push myself on writing, I ended up writing a few paragraphs about a kobold who likes sweet baby gherkins. Neutral And I have absolutely no idea where that was going.

If I don't think up something new before my writing time tonight, I think I will review some of my previous story ideas and just rework/rewrite one of those. Maybe if I beat my head against those walls enough, I will break through on one of them.
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers March 3rd 2016, 10:34 am

Update, because ...why not?

I went back to my "found footage"/"reality show confessional" concept and "penned" three letters back home from the Capital last night.
    Two story ideas that I had been working on separately came together in an unexpected way, and now I have an underlying narrative to go with the "letters" concept.
    No pickle loving kobolds in them....yet.

Now my concern is a matter of story telling. I'm not sure what else to call it. I already know the story, and how I want to tell part of it, but is that a viable book/short story in and of itself?
    My idea is that I might be able to use the letters as chapter introductions. Think of it as a way to give a perspective other than what the narrator would know. A sort of insight into the "other side" for the reader.
    Another idea is to make the overall story a collection of recollections, letters, narrations from different participants of the action. As if "I" edited all the resources I could find in order to put forward the most clear account possible.

What do you think, would that be too busy? Would bouncing from narrative to narrative along a consistent timeline be problematic, or is it possible that I could hide the weakness of some of the story elements by not dwelling on them for too long?
    fxruizx
    fxruizx

Activity : 169
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  fxruizx March 5th 2016, 9:07 pm

mikel.withers wrote:
    Another idea is to make the overall story a collection of recollections, letters, narrations from different participants of the action. As if "I" edited all the resources I could find in order to put forward the most clear account possible.

I think this could be busy if there isn't a common element that connects the stories, like a shared event, or item that comes to each of them. Not sure if its a mystery, but if you/the protagonist is the one examining the letters maybe there is some puzzle you are trying to solve - I'm thinking kind of like Memento.

Or that could all be a horrible idea. But I am excited to read/hear what you come up with Mikel Very Happy
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers March 6th 2016, 12:19 am

I'm reading a book by a local author and it has me kind of worried about my idea. He has really small portions of action separated by a week here, four years there, a month, etc. I keep having to flip back and forth (on a Kindle) to see where I am. I don't want to have my readers do that.

I might just watch some History Channel style documentaries to see if that is what I want to adapt, but I'm just not sure.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 19th 2024, 1:46 am