Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Too much gold

mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

Too much gold Empty Too much gold

Post  mikel.withers July 13th 2016, 11:45 am

Okay, so I have these characters I've been working on for quite a while ( awhile?) and I think I finally figured out their story. I'm looking at something more wide ranging than the short stories I've written so far, and ... well I guess I need to spoil a story that isn't even written, so here goes:
    The dragon is defeated, the dragon's hoard is opened and an awful lot of people suddenly have more gold than they can carry. (did I forget to mention it is a fantasy world? Little to no magic)
    Anyway, I was reminded of how the massive influx of gold from the new world disrupted the Spanish economy and I was wondering if anyone had ideas about what kind of impact a dragon's hoard would have on the region.
    CreatorsPixels
    CreatorsPixels

Activity : 236
    Geek-Cred : 8

Too much gold Empty Re: Too much gold

Post  CreatorsPixels July 21st 2016, 8:18 pm

Interesting idea that is often overlooked. Gold is only worth what someone will give you for it, you can't eat it. If the whole town has too much, why would a baker sell you bread for it, he will want something else. Reminds me of this passage in 2 Kings. A little different because it wasn't gold but all sorts of spoil, but I think you could be onto an interesting take of the problem. Good luck!!

2Ki 6:25

And there was a great famine in Samaria: and, behold, they besieged it, until an ass's head was sold for fourscore pieces of silver, and the fourth part of a cab of dove's dung for five pieces of silver.
    2Ki 7:16

And the people went out, and spoiled the tents of the Syrians. So a measure of fine flour was sold for a shekel, and two measures of barley for a shekel, according to the word of the LORD.
    fxruizx
    fxruizx

Activity : 169
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  fxruizx July 23rd 2016, 11:47 am

I think CreatorsPixels had a good point. Another, probably less realistic, possibility is that different families/clans take their gold stores and set off in different directions, hoping to trade it for other necessities, elsewhere in the world, like a diaspora. Then what becomes of their former region - is it lost to myth, or left with a small band of misfits trying to restore the land. 

Just some thoughts Smile

Look forward to reading/hearing it!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 26th 2024, 2:51 pm