Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

24-hour live stream starts 7am Pacific (or earlier) Saturday Nov. 5th!

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

24-hour live stream starts 7am Pacific (or earlier) Saturday Nov. 5th! Empty 24-hour live stream starts 7am Pacific (or earlier) Saturday Nov. 5th!

Post  Paeter November 4th 2016, 7:43 pm

Feeling nervous! 38 isn't "old" yet (relative to the average human lifespan) but it's older than last year and I haven't been sleeping great lately. So although I'm setting my alarm to give me enough time to start by 7am Pacific, if my body gets me up earlier I'm starting the marathon earlier. (Don't want this stretch of wakefulness to last one second longer than it needs to!)

You're invited to drop by anytime!

https://www.youtube.com/user/christiangeekcentral/live

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

24-hour live stream starts 7am Pacific (or earlier) Saturday Nov. 5th! Empty Re: 24-hour live stream starts 7am Pacific (or earlier) Saturday Nov. 5th!

Post  Rickster November 4th 2016, 8:26 pm

I was thinking that you'd be doing a 25 hour stream because of the time change but then I remembered that little state wants to be different and not do Daylight savings time
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

24-hour live stream starts 7am Pacific (or earlier) Saturday Nov. 5th! Empty Re: 24-hour live stream starts 7am Pacific (or earlier) Saturday Nov. 5th!

Post  Paeter November 7th 2016, 10:30 am

Rickster wrote:I was thinking that you'd be doing a 25 hour stream because of the time change but then I remembered that little state wants to be different and not do Daylight savings time

Even if we did change our clocks, 24 hours is 24 hours in my book, and in my limited available stamina!

As it happened, I called it quits about 45 minutes from the finish line. My developing nausea ramped up dramatically at 5am and I often find myself in a "vomiting cycle" that's hard to break once I start. So rather than do that I ended my marathon a little early.

Despite that, I consider the event a huge success! Our team has raised $140 more than our combined goal, for a total of $640! I also personally raised more than I ever have before this year, so I will likely be bumping up my goal next year.

Definitely the most challenging marathon I've done yet, but I'm very happy with the results and with the great interactions I had, both with my on-camera guests and with our online community. Thank you to everyone who stopped by, to all who donated and to my awesome fellow team members! We did it!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 8th 2016, 9:57 am

A HUGE thank you to everyone who stopped by to chat during the marathon, and also to everyone who watched for any amount of time. The stream was very well attended and the chatroom frequently had great people for me to talk to. Thank you alls so much for surrounding and supporting me.

This was the toughest Extra Life marathon, easily. I has a lousy night of sleep the night before, which kept me from ever truly being at full energy the entire time. So from a gaming standpoint, it wasn't near as fun as previous years. This was the first time it felt a lot like "work".

I had some great guests to keep me awake and sane (for the most part) and I pushed through all the way until just 45 minutes before the finish line, when I realized if I didn't stop immediately I would vomit, and likely start a "vomiting cycle" that would make recovery difficult.

But as I've said before, completing or even attempting a marathon isn't important. It's just one tool to draw attention to fundraising to help some local kids in need. And this year our team raised more than ever before, exceeding our goal by $140 dollars for a combined total of $640 raised! So I want to thank everyone on the Christian Geek Central team and all those who donated toward our efforts. The event was a big success and I'm so grateful for all of you who got involved.

Although I've learned some lessons and will want to rethink my approach to doing the marathon next year, I'm already looking forward to Extra Life 2017!

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster November 9th 2016, 1:48 pm

I had some unexpected family drama that happened that day so I stop about 1/3 of the way in. which sucked I was able to get one of the Platinums I was trying to get
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 10th 2016, 9:03 am

Rickster wrote:I had some unexpected family drama that happened that day so I stop about 1/3 of the way in. which sucked I was able to get one of the Platinums I was trying to get

Don't sweat it. Family stuff is super important so I'm sure you made the right call.

www.spiritblade.com
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate November 11th 2016, 6:45 pm

Awesome you finished your marathon and exceeded your personal goal, impressive on both counts! cheers

It was fun to hang with you a bit!
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 14th 2016, 9:36 am

ComiKate wrote:Awesome you finished your marathon and exceeded your personal goal, impressive on both counts! cheers

It was fun to hang with you a bit!

Well I actually fell short of the finish line by about 45 minutes. But I was so grateful and excited for all the donations that took me and our team above and beyond our goals. I continue to see this event as such a great opportunity for our community and that seems to be echoed by all of you who participated by either joining the team, donating or watching/cheering us on.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 27th 2024, 6:12 am