Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Getting Back Into Board Games

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Getting Back Into Board Games Empty Getting Back Into Board Games

Post  Paeter February 22nd 2017, 11:46 am

A few years ago I got into a big board game kick that lasted me at least 2-3 years. But then for the last two years or so that interest has died down. I'm not sure why, but I think at least in part there just weren't a lot of games that were getting me excited. Specifically, the industry lacked games that were fully co-op (no game master required) with character development and campaign play. Games like Heroquest, Descent (1st edition. 2nd lacks some vital gameplay elements) or Doom: The Boardgame.

Pathfinder: The Adventure Card Game was the last game I bought (about two years ago) that fit the bill and that I've really enjoyed. But even in that case I missed having miniatures and somehow revealing cards at "location decks" isn't quite the same as rounding a corner or opening a chest in a miniature-based board game.

Last year I bought "Galaxy Defenders" and have only played one game of it so far. Not for lack of enjoyment, but lack of opportunity. (Sometimes the gaming group just likes what they already know and love.) But even though it has character development and campaign play, it lacks a certain degree of exploration (which I understand is fixed with an expansion).

Enter three new contenders, all of which I will probably fork out the cash for by the end of the year:

One-Deck Dungeon. A fast, solo or 2-player co-op dungeon crawl (4 players if using two sets) that can be played as a one-off game or in a campaign mode. EXACTLY the kind of game I've been looking for to pull out on those game nights where the mammoth game just ended and we only have about an hour of game time left.

(This is the kickstarter video, but the game is out and available now)

Sword & Sorcery: Immortal Souls. Based on the design for "Galaxy Defenders", this is a fully co-op fantasy dungeon crawler that looks fantastic and has some neat elements on top of the core defining mechanisms of a dungeon crawler. Each hero has a "good" and "evil" version you can choose to play, effecting the play-style of the character. Death temporarily turns your character into a ghost form that has its own unique abilities. This one is releasing in March, although it's possible I'll try to get the game below instead, as this one appears to only feature 4 different monster models and one "boss" monster model.

Gloomhaven. Nearly everything within me cries out to NOT tell you about this game, for fear that you will somehow get a copy of it instead of me as a result of hearing me talk about it. A super hot item that sold out on its pre-orders and will be re-printed sometime later this year. From everything I've seen and based on every reviewer reaction I can find, THIS is the "D&D in a box with no DM" experience that many gamers (myself included) have been waiting our entire adult lives to play. It not only features campaign dungeon crawling, but a world that forever changes based on your decisions. Characters also have unique goals related to their backstories that will allow them to "retire" once completed. Upon retiring characters, new ones are "unlocked" and brought into the game from their sealed boxes. Combat is more tactical than other crawlers and also dice-less, but still involves chance through a card-draw mechanic. A wide variety of enemies is made possible by using beautiful full-color stand-ups instead of plastic models, which I'm totally game for. (Love me some monster variety!) There's just so much going on in this game that posting only one video about it won't do it justice. And though the price is a steep $120 dollars, there are over 90 scenarios included, each of which lasts 30 minutes per player character. If you buy this game before me, I promise to only secretly hate you and to work through that hatred with Jesus. And if you find it available in stock somewhere and let me know, Jesus won't love you any more than he does, but I just might.

I've recently begun brainstorming, planning and prep work for an experimental board game show I'd like to add to the CGC channel. It will take a little time to work out details, get the right new camera and do a trial run, but my hope is to feature playthroughs of one or all of these games, maybe starting as soon as just a couple months from now.

Either way, these games look fantastic! Can't wait to get my hands on them!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Getting Back Into Board Games Empty Re: Getting Back Into Board Games

Post  Paeter February 23rd 2017, 4:20 pm

Holy crap I can't believe it. I gave up after calling almost every game store listed in the Phoenix area. Then a note reminded me to check back with one of them who said on Tuesday that their shipment of games arrives on Thursday.

When I called this morning they said they expected a single copy to arrive today or tomorrow. It wasn't spoken for, so I pre-ordered it, knowing I could back out when it surely failed to arrive as it was failing to arrive at so many other stores. They knew what they would have on their hands if it showed up, and charged $50 more than the MSRP of $120, but I figured it was worth it if the game is half as good as pre-release reviewers have all said. Especially since a second printing, which is only rumored at this point, might not put new copies in stores until the end of 2017 or later.

I completed my pre-order and tried not to get my hopes up. As both a game I think I'll love, and one that is near the top of BGG's hot list right now, I think it could be the perfect game for me to launch with my planned board game series on the CGC channel. But I tried to set the thought aside and pray for contentment.

Eventually, the remaining weariness from the cold I've been hit with this week sucked the energy out of me, so I barely had enough left to continue rearranging my office, let alone be excited about possibly getting a great game.

Just when I'd finally moved on, the phone rang.

Employee: Hi Mr. Frandsen, your pre-order of the Gloomhaven board game has arrived and is waiting in the store for you.

Me(in throat-weary ogre voice): Oh, wow, I think I just peed myself a bit. That's very exciting news. Thank you.

Two hours later I've got this mammoth (22 pounds) box in my office... and no energy left to even open it. But it still feels good...

Last edited by Paeter on February 23rd 2017, 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings February 23rd 2017, 5:45 pm

LOL.

Feel better so you can enjoy it.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter February 24th 2017, 9:45 am

AdamCollings wrote:LOL.

Feel better so you can enjoy it.

Thanks man, that's the plan!

www.spiritblade.com
    Christopher Schmitz
    Christopher Schmitz

Activity : 14
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  Christopher Schmitz February 27th 2017, 7:17 pm

Gloomhaven looks epic. I think I might hafta save my nickels
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy February 27th 2017, 11:16 pm

Looking forward to watching a review or a play session of Gloomhaven.

Admin

Post  Paeter March 2nd 2017, 9:44 am

WhiteBoy wrote:Looking forward to watching a review or a play session of Gloomhaven.

Prep is going well. Happy with my camera and lighting setup. Might be able to start recording tonight!
    Gloomhaven has been a bear to organize, though! Tons of components!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 13th 2024, 1:12 pm