Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+4
Reed Benson
jorowi
mikel.withers
Paeter
8 posters

What Animated Movie Do You Want In Live Action?

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

What Animated Movie Do You Want In Live Action? Empty What Animated Movie Do You Want In Live Action?

Post  Paeter March 31st 2017, 8:11 am

Ghost In The Shell comes out today and there's word that a live action Akira is on the way. So I'm curious if you guys have any dreams of animated movies that you'd like to see get the live action full-budget treatment.

With a really great child actor I'd love to see The Iron Giant.

www.spiritblade.com
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

What Animated Movie Do You Want In Live Action? Empty Re: What Animated Movie Do You Want In Live Action?

Post  mikel.withers March 31st 2017, 9:17 am

Robotech. Hands down, the one that has been teased for decades and the technology is finally up to a standard where it could be done well.
    Gate. -with some caveats... I mean, it has some, what my brother calls "loli"* bits to it, but that mostly is because of art style, which would be remedied by having living actors. But the fantasy world invades modern world/vice versa element could play out brilliantly in real life.
    *"loli" is short for Lolita, as in: older guy and underage girl.
    GI Joe... oh wait, nevermind.

jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1095
    Geek-Cred : 7

What Animated Movie Do You Want In Live Action? Empty Re: What Animated Movie Do You Want In Live Action?

Post  jorowi March 31st 2017, 11:04 am

Honestly, none. You can do so much more with animation. Besides, "live-action" isn't. People acting in front of a green screen with cgi is mostly animated. Why bother putting in real actors. Just animate the actors so that the differences don't look so jarring.

Twitter
    Instagram
    Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Activity : 406
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  Reed Benson April 1st 2017, 3:11 am

I'm with John. Animation can do more than live actors anyway. Besides, if I've already seen the movie, why do I need to see it again in another form? Unless there's a tonal shift (ala <i>Maleficent</i>), but even then, it could stay animated.
    jazzact13

Activity : 267
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  jazzact13 April 2nd 2017, 12:19 am

Since it's kinda similar to Ghost in the Shell, I'd be interested in a live-action Psycho-Pass movie. Maybe if they could give it a similar look and feel to Bale's Batman movies, it might work.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1759
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings April 2nd 2017, 6:24 pm

All I can think of is Voltron, though the last thing I'd want is a cheesy live action remake. It'd have to be more serious than the Transformers movies.
    Hmm. What about The Mysterious Cities of Gold. Anybody remember that?

When my kids were younger, I found this highly amusing
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter April 3rd 2017, 1:03 pm

Reed Benson wrote:I'm with John. Animation can do more than live actors anyway. Besides, if I've already seen the movie, why do I need to see it again in another form? Unless there's a tonal shift (ala <i>Maleficent</i>), but even then, it could stay animated.

I think without realizing it, the tonal shift is what I would appreciate most. Or rather the aesthetic shift way from characters making unnecessary noises.

Mmh.

huh?

Wha?

ahuh-

MM-huh!

Plus all the other bits of weirdness that result from translation/localization issues.

And in live action I can just relate to characters and performances more. Facial capture is getting better, but nothing beats a good, real live actor.

But if I could have anime without any weird voice acting/localization stuff, then I might still be with you even without the benefits of a live actor.

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter April 3rd 2017, 1:05 pm

AdamCollings wrote:All I can think of is Voltron, though the last thing I'd want is a cheesy live action remake. It'd have to be more serious than the Transformers movies.
    Hmm. What about The Mysterious Cities of Gold. Anybody remember that?

When my kids were younger, I found this highly amusing

Dude, this was awesome. Showing this to Holly.

www.spiritblade.com
    fxruizx
    fxruizx

Activity : 169
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  fxruizx April 3rd 2017, 4:33 pm

AdamCollings wrote:What about The Mysterious Cities of Gold.
    I totally remember it, the first instance I recall seeing of the divided pendant macguffin Very Happy

Another old animated show I would want to see as a movie is Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors - got to beat Saw-boss!
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter April 4th 2017, 9:02 am

Oh my gosh! Oh...my GOSH!!!

I forgot my absolute number one answer to this!

THUNDAR THE BARBARIAN!!!!

I SOOOO want to see this world re-created with a serious tone for adults in movie or TV series form. Post-Apocalyptic Sword & Sorcery??? Come on, that's gold baby!

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster April 6th 2017, 6:06 pm

Disney is currently doing 19 live action remakes of their animated movies. I'm most curious about Tim Burton's Dumbo.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter April 7th 2017, 10:55 am

Rickster wrote:Disney is currently doing 19 live action remakes of their animated movies. I'm most curious about Tim Burton's Dumbo.

Oh my gosh, Tim Burton has a thing for sideshow performers. It's gonna be weird. Probably a movie all about misfits. Could be extremely yay!

www.spiritblade.com
    jazzact13

Post  jazzact13 April 8th 2017, 12:04 am

This looks promising, though not without some possible hangups, too. Btw, if you haven't seen either of the Fullmetal Alchemist series, either of them is well worth seeing.

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter April 10th 2017, 10:42 am

Something about that wig/hair color and coat feels out of place in the environment? (Too "kiddy" in an otherwise color muted setting? Not sure.) But everything else looks really cool to me! And HOLY CRAP! Japanese children played by... actual Japanese children! Why don't they hire THESE kids for the next anime recording session?

My pet peeves aside, I totally want to see more of this movie! Thanks for dropping that trailer on us!

www.spiritblade.com
    jazzact13

Post  jazzact13 April 11th 2017, 12:36 am

Paeter wrote:Something about that wig/hair color and coat feels out of place in the environment? (Too "kiddy" in an otherwise color muted setting? Not sure.) But everything else looks really cool to me! And HOLY CRAP! Japanese children played by... actual Japanese children! Why don't they hire THESE kids for the next anime recording session?

My pet peeves aside, I totally want to see more of this movie! Thanks for dropping that trailer on us!

One of the potential problems is that, in the anime, the boy with the blond hair and red coat actually looks European, probably Germanic. His age and size are probably comparable to the anime character at this point in the story.

You can get a good look at how these two character look for most of the anime series in this opening sequence.

jazzact13

Post  jazzact13 April 11th 2017, 1:01 am

I haven't yet watched these movies, but they are suppose to be the exception to the rule that live-action adaptions of anime are always bad. And after finally searching for and watching this trailer, maybe I should give them a shot.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 16th 2024, 12:47 am