Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

Star Trek Discovery Review

AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1759
    Geek-Cred : 11

Star Trek Discovery Review Empty Star Trek Discovery Review

Post  AdamCollings September 25th 2017, 6:08 pm

I watched Star Trek Discovery last night.
    Here are my thoughts.
    http://www.adamdavidcollings.com/star-trek-discovery-review/

I may turn this into a video if I have time, but for now I wanted to get this written and out there while it's still fresh and topical. (plus I try to avoid other reviews until I've written my own without outside influence)
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Star Trek Discovery Review Empty Re: Star Trek Discovery Review

Post  Paeter September 26th 2017, 9:35 am

AdamCollings wrote:I watched Star Trek Discovery last night.
    Here are my thoughts.
    http://www.adamdavidcollings.com/star-trek-discovery-review/

I may turn this into a video if I have time, but for now I wanted to get this written and out there while it's still fresh and topical. (plus I try to avoid other reviews until I've written my own without outside influence)

Thanks for your thoughts on this! It was interesting to hear from a Trek fan!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings October 2nd 2017, 5:18 pm

Here are my thoughts on episode 3
    http://www.adamdavidcollings.com/star-trek-discovery-episode-3-context-is-for-kings/

Episode three was a great continuation of Burnham’s story and introduction to the USS Discovery. It had great moments of mystery, drama and even some monster-horror. Bring on episode 4.

This really doesn't feel like 90s Trek to me. It's darker and gritter, which I like, and the single-protagonist focus is quite a significant departure in format.

The dialogue in Star Trek has never felt un-natural to me. I've become so immersed in that world over the decades that it feels very real and natural to me. That said, after Peater pointed it out in his review last week, I am starting to notice ... something ... about the dialog in Discovery. Not sure how to put it into words. Hopefully it won't bother me.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings October 2nd 2017, 5:48 pm

And here's an interesting review from TrekMovie.
    https://trekmovie.com/2017/10/01/review-third-episode-of-star-trek-discovery-introduces-a-mysterious-ship-and-its-misfit-crew/

Note the following:
    The problems with pacing and stilted dialog that troubled the premiere were not as evidenced in episode three.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter October 3rd 2017, 9:48 am

AdamCollings wrote:

The dialogue in Star Trek has never felt un-natural to me. I've become so immersed in that world over the decades that it feels very real and natural to me. That said, after Peater pointed it out in his review last week, I am starting to notice ... something ... about the dialog in Discovery. Not sure how to put it into words. Hopefully it won't bother me.

Noooo! I swear I wasn't trying to ruin it for anyone! Hope it doesn't stick with you!

As for your initial feelings about the dialogue, I have a weird theory. I'm wondering if the dialogue feels less strange to those who themselves are highly articulate and formal sounding, even in casual conversation. Whether because of the influence of Trek itself in formative years, or because they are very active readers... the reasons are anyone's guess. But I've noticed that some hardcore geeks use language that is generally more articulate and formal sounding, even when just hanging out in a relaxed setting.

I've got some of that in me, but it seems to come in spurts. lol! (And I sometimes use words in sentences I don't fully and technically understand. Like an apprentice tampering with ancient powers he has no proper respect for.)

It would be interesting to see if most hardcore geeks with that characteristic feel the same way you did about the dialogue.

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings October 3rd 2017, 7:04 pm

Paeter wrote:Noooo! I swear I wasn't trying to ruin it for anyone! Hope it doesn't stick with you!

LOL. It's ok! The review on TrekMovie suggests to me their reviewer also had issue with the dialog in episodes 1 and 2, but saw 3 as an improvement, so maybe I was just doubting myself LOL.

I think you might be onto something. As both a reader and a writer, language is certainly on my mind. In my late teens I went through a period where I almost mimicked Spock. Something about his emotionless nature was appealing to me. I would regularly say things like "That is not logical", so I definitely took on some of that, which most likely continues to persist in my speech to this day. You're a fountain of insights today, Paeter.

People were definitely getting a BSG vibe from episode three, from the opening scene on the prison transport shuttle, to the tough security chief played by Rekha Sharma (Tory on BSG)
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings October 9th 2017, 7:39 pm

I feel that Star Trek Discovery has really found it's stride in episode 4. This is real classic Star Trek, but updated with modern TV sensibilities. Episode 4 explores the theme of monsters, specifically, the question of understanding that often the monster isn't a monster at all. This is done with a literal alien creature, but it also a metaphor for the feelings Michael Burnham is having about her own mistakes. Do they make her a monster?

The story takes us back into the action of the Klingon war, yet it isn't really a war story. At heart, it's about exploration and discovery. I begin to see how the writers are using the war as a backdrop, but continuing the Trek spirit of exploring strange new worlds and new civilisations.

This is Star Trek with consequences, and those consequences will continue long beyond the end of the episode. This is Star Trek with deaths. We are very slowly being introduced to the crew of the ship, and you're never quite sure who will live and who will die.

Regarding dialog, the most "trekie talk" is coming from Stamets and Burnham. This makes sense because they're both scientists. Other characters have much more relatable dialog, which grounds the show for those who are not long-time Trek fans. The characters all have an edge though. Stamets is the scientist who is cheesed off that his research has been co-opted for military application, which leads to a near insubordinate relationship with Captain Lorca.

Cadet Tilly continues to be an endearing character. She's still a little unsure of herself, but you can see she is aware of her personal flaws and is actively working toward overcoming them.

We get to see a fair bit of Klingon Drama this time around. These scenes serve to remind us that war is two-sided.

I believe Discovery is very much accomplishing what it sets out to do - to create a show that feels every bit Star Trek, but also feels like a modern TV drama. Can't wait or next week.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings October 23rd 2017, 6:48 pm

I didn't write anything about episode 5 last week, so quick recap.
    Harry Mudd was great. Given that in the original series, he was a literal moustache-twirling vilain who laughed manially about revealing his plans, I thought he was a very odd choice for Discovery.
    However, the gritty serious take we have here really worked, and I totally bought it was the same character.

The other plot gave some great character growth for Saru and Burnham, and presented a very Star Trek journey, as they deal with the ethics of harming an alien creature.

Star Trek's first f-bomb was very badly done. It felt forced and in bad taste. I could maybe accept it more if it was uttered in a very drastic tense situation, but it was basically used as a joke in a light-hearted moment. Not at all appropriate for Star Trek in my opinion.

but what I really want to talk about is....
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings October 23rd 2017, 6:57 pm

....episode 6!

Wow. that was an absolutely brilliant character episode.
    First of all, we go deep into Burnham's relationship with Sarak, and in the process, we go deeper into Sarak's relationship with Spock. The relevation in this episode sheds so much new light in the relationship between father and son. The TOS episode Journey to Babel makes so much more sense now. Basically, we've been given a very believable explanation for the tension between Spock and Sarak. This insight changes the way I will see Sarak from now on. Some very emtional and satisfying moments here.

And they're going some seriously dark places with Captain Lorca. He almost had me convinced that deep down, he's a good man, but then ....
    Lorca is a master manipulator, and a seriously broken man. This is a dangerous combination. Lorca is a captain like we've never seen before.

Discovery has risen to a whole new level this episode. Can't wait to see what comes next.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings October 23rd 2017, 7:03 pm

and breaking news. Star Trek Discovery renewed for season 2.
    https://trekmovie.com/2017/10/23/star-trek-discovery-renewed-for-second-season/

CBS Interactive President Marc DeBevoise wrote:“In just six episodes, Star Trek: Discovery has driven subscriber growth, critical acclaim and huge global fan interest for the first premium version of this great franchise. This series has a remarkable creative team and cast who have demonstrated their ability to carry on the ‘Star Trek’ legacy. We are extremely proud of what they’ve accomplished and are thrilled to be bringing fans a second season of this tremendous series.”
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter October 24th 2017, 8:59 am

AdamCollings wrote:and breaking news. Star Trek Discovery renewed for season 2.
    https://trekmovie.com/2017/10/23/star-trek-discovery-renewed-for-second-season/

CBS Interactive President Marc DeBevoise wrote:“In just six episodes, Star Trek: Discovery has driven subscriber growth, critical acclaim and huge global fan interest for the first premium version of this great franchise. This series has a remarkable creative team and cast who have demonstrated their ability to carry on the ‘Star Trek’ legacy. We are extremely proud of what they’ve accomplished and are thrilled to be bringing fans a second season of this tremendous series.”

Wow, cool! I think it's great that there is room for both The Orville and Discovery! Good time to be a Trek fan!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 19th 2024, 5:54 pm